4 hour commute to work, $1500 spent a month

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

I have met a few people who do this in the DC area, and thats what they tell me, the houses in the pennsylvania suburbs are cheaper and you get more for your money..

no doubt but there ain't as many jobs out there

in this area as long as you stay out of the city, montgomery county, and northern VA, you're good

montgomery county got houses in the 500s and 600s and the same thing in PG is like 400 or 300... its crazy

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
You can write off expenses from your primary job to your secondary.
i distinctly remember now that commutes to your place of work (from your house to place of employment) aren't deductible. I think they're afraid of people using their vehicles for personal reasons and just claiming that they're going to work.. I think an exception should be made in the case of commutes that are this long though.

Taking advanced tax next semester :snoop: I need to refresh my memory :heh:

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
i distinctly remember now that commutes to your place of work (from your house to place of employment) aren't deductible. I think they're afraid of people using their vehicles for personal reasons and just claiming that they're going to work.. I think an exception should be made in the case of commutes that are this long though.

Taking advanced tax next semester :snoop: I need to refresh my memory :heh:
Correct... but notice i said from you primary job to secondary job. you travel from job a to job b.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Correct... but notice i said from you primary job to secondary job. you travel from job a to job b.
ahh yeah, I forgot about all those "sub rules". Our tax code is so fukking ridiculous, thats why I hated my intro tax class. For every single thing you have to remember there are like 5 sub rules that you also have to remember.

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
ahh yeah, I forgot about all those "sub rules". Our tax code is so fukking ridiculous, thats why I hated my intro tax class. For every single thing you have to remember there are like 5 sub rules that you also have to remember.

I've been hearing over the past week that you can give 5 different accountants your tax information to file and you will come up with 5 different results....

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I've been hearing over the past week that you can give 5 different accountants your tax information to file and you will come up with 5 different results....
For the really specific random circumstances that clients come up with can certainly give you completely different results. For cases that aren't clearly stated in the tax code you have to look up tax cases and go by precedence started by those tax court cases. Some things are clear cut but others, especially when it comes to business and business travel expenses are a very gray area which is why you have to consult tax case rulings and stuff like that to back up your "reasoning" for a deduction. Most of the rules are very arbitrary and don't make intuitive sense. I thought it was the most boring accounting stuff I've done by far, but I know you can make some really good money doing it.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
the wife said they were only doing it for a year so they must be making dough if that's the case.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Traffic is fukkin ridiculous out here as is, so deciding to move further out is dumb as fukk. I live 10 minutes from Southeast DC but whenever I gotta go to work in downtown in the morning I gotta leave the house at least 2 hours ahead to get to work on time and its a 25 minute ride. I wish I knew the answer, I would say more Metro but they prices is like gas prices now. :snoop:

PrnzHakeem

FKA LilNukka
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Haven
It'd be alot cheaper to each have an apt in their respective cities, and visit each other on the weekends. They doing all that foolishness just to sleep in the same bed and ignore each other.

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
It'd be alot cheaper to each have an apt in their respective cities, and visit each other on the weekends. They doing all that foolishness just to sleep in the same bed and ignore each other.
It always amazes me how people make such bad decisions. How is "commute 8 hours a day and waste 1500 dollars a month" your best option?