4 florida(broward county) teachers die from covid within 24hours

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
The federal gov does not have your best interest at hand. Time and time again they have shown us that. Why is it any different now?

so should the government enforce any laws then? Where do you draw the line? I’m really curious how you think this should work.

skylove4

Veteran
Daps
What do you mean? He got the most votes at CPAC besides Trump and is basically Trump's mini-me. The MAGA crowd loves him.

If Trump doesn't run then DeSantis is the Republican frontrunner easily.
I just don’t see it:yeshrug:those racist cacs will say one thing and do another. I honestly think his name and ethnic background won’t galvanize the average maga:yeshrug:

*edit I thought he was Cuban, I didn’t know he was Italian :ohhh:

Daps
Sadly it's almost the opposite. The federal government is weak as fukk and too often just does the bidding of corporations.

If the feds were strong, they would have imprisoned the executives who caused the 2008 financial crisis instead of just bowing down to them.

If the feds were strong, they would have stopped all the misinformation in 2016 and Trump would never have been elected.

If the feds were strong, then they would have enacted gun control and climate change legislation long ago.

If the feds were strong, they would actually regulate voter disenfranchisement and gerrymandering in the south.

I don't think I can agree with your characterization of the Feds, breh. While I agree that they are weak, I don't think all of the situations you named are instances of them being weak.

In 2008, there was no law against what the execs did, and if the Feds (under the direction of Obama) had started hassling them - and hassling is all they could have done in that situation - it would have slowed down the financial recovery of the country.

In 2016, the misinformation was new. Everybody was caught off-guard by that level of disinformation being dessiminated on social media. You have to remember that Facebook is only 15 yrs old, and Twitter and other social media sites are younger than that. Any gov would have been caught pants-down during a concerted disinformation campaign. And they definitely weren't expecting it to be Americans and Russians colluding to wage a disinformation campaign on the country.

The feds aren't completely pro-gun control and pro-climate change. I think it's more half and half, a somewhat even divide on this issue.

Regarding voter disenfranchisement and gerrymandering, the Feds still have to follow the law. If the Biden admin had an overwhelming majority in the Senate, then they could stomp out the voter disenfranchisement quick, fast and in a hurry. But due to the slim margin, they are having to play politics on this issue. And I think they're going to get it done, it's just taking longer than we would have liked.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I don't think I can agree with your characterization of the Feds, breh. While I agree that they are weak, I don't think all of the situations you named are instances of them being weak.

In 2008, there was no law against what the execs did, and if the Feds (under the direction of Obama) had started hassling them - and hassling is all they could have done in that situation - it would have slowed down the financial recovery of the country.

They did tons of illegal shyt, but no one wanted to devote the resources to prosecute. There's been all sorts of articles written regarding the shyt they got away with.

And what you say regarding "slowing the economic recovery" is proof of my assertion that corporations are more powerful than the feds. You can impeach any president and half the nation will say, "Hell yah!" But you try to convict a CEO and both parties come together like Voltron to say, "Oh no no no, that's too dangerous you can't hurt the precious economy!"

In 2016, the misinformation was new. Everybody was caught off-guard by that level of disinformation being dessiminated on social media. You have to remember that Facebook is only 15 yrs old, and Twitter and other social media sites are younger than that. Any gov would have been caught pants-down during a concerted disinformation campaign. And they definitely weren't expecting it to be Americans and Russians colluding to wage a disinformation campaign on the country.

Again, that sounds pretty fukking weak if they can't even keep up people using Facebook. I mean some of those misinformation campaigns were run by Slovenian villagers who could barely speak English connected to the internet on phone modems. Government's intel and computer crimes divisions were weak as fukk.

The feds aren't completely pro-gun control and pro-climate change. I think it's more half and half, a somewhat even divide on this issue.
Because the corporations tell them what their position should be. The vast majority of Americans want more gun control and more environmental protections, it's only corporate control that keeps it from happening. More proof that the corporations are stronger than the government.

Regarding voter disenfranchisement and gerrymandering, the Feds still have to follow the law. If the Biden admin had an overwhelming majority in the Senate, then they could stomp out the voter disenfranchisement quick, fast and in a hurry. But due to the slim margin, they are having to play politics on this issue. And I think they're going to get it done, it's just taking longer than we would have liked.
Except that multiple Supreme Court decisions in the last 10 years have made the feds much weaker to the point of damn near being castrated on these issues, which was NOT the case 50 years ago.

Look at what Lincoln did. Look at what Grant did. Look at what FDR did. Look at what LBJ did. Look at what Nixon did. Federal government has wielded its power much more substantially in the past than it is doing now.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
I was gonna post this. When I was teaching if there was a teacher who died in the school district while they were still an active teacher it was a BIG deal. Having four die in 36 hours (two in the same school)? That's fukking insane.

Article says 3 weren't vaccinated and the status of the 4th is unknown.

4 Broward educators with COVID die within 2 days as school year nears

What was the final straw that made you quit? Do you still work in the education field.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
I loved teaching in the classroom and plan to go back again at some point. I left to do educational nonprofit work - I run community education programs, mentoring, and engage in community activism. I still do teaching but a lot of the time I'm doing teacher training or public speaking or program coordination instead. It's good work but I miss the deeper relationships you make and impact you have when you engage in students full-time. Honestly I think a teacher working with 130 students a year arguably has a greater long-term impact than a public speaker going up and speaking to 500 kids at a shot or a program coordinator employing a dozen teachers underneath him.
That's what's up. I thought you were a burned out teacher tired of teaching bad ass kids.

As a dude who grew up in the New York and DC public school systems I can guarantee that you make a impact, I seen my old Geography teacher a couple of years ago and the dude literally had to fight a coed who acted up. In the social media age and in non ghetto schools that would be a fireable offense. At my school nothing happened.

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
wheres that bug bunny Florida gif... that shiiit is almost not a joke now.

Look at this map of hotspots. And look at Florida's color:

229839696_10159111826478046_1312897944085200258_n.jpg

Daps
Look at this map of hotspots. And look at Florida's color:

229839696_10159111826478046_1312897944085200258_n.jpg
So glad I live in the Northeast. We have a Republican Governor, but he’s a moderate dem in any red state - perhaps even liberal.

Keep telling y’all the Northeast is the place to live if you’re black. But, hey, keep living in states governed by openly anti-black white supremacists. Lemme know how that is working out for you.
:francis:

Last edited: