[4/5/19] NXT Takeover: New York

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
WATER vs Dunne was a slow paced match but it was awesome.
This show had different styles of matches so i find it hard to not enjoy if your're a wrestling fan.

Tag Team spotfest.
Character driven match with Dream/Riddle
British strong style slugfest
Fun fatal 4 way with the women
Epic story being told with the main event.

That’s the biggest difference, a diverse card from top to bottom. The WWE for a chunk of years was having every one of their wrestlers use the same slow “methodical” pace for the entire show, other than a Rey Mysterio or somebody like that. They were even having the non-Rey Mysterio cruiser weights wrestle just like the heavyweights :mjlol::mjlol:

Mr. Manhattan

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
WATER vs Dunne was a slow paced match but it was awesome.
This show had different styles of matches so i find it hard to not enjoy if your're a wrestling fan.

Tag Team spotfest.
Character driven match with Dream/Riddle
British strong style slugfest
Fun fatal 4 way with the women
Epic story being told with the main event.
it was slow paced but allowed very stiff hits which works good. reminded me of the AJPW 90s shyt which I love
but WWE 04-12 was slow pace storytelling garbage with safe moves
and that was the format for every match

Last edited:

TOAD99

Veteran
Daps
Man last night was the ultimate flippy fest:francis: it’s cool and all but everyone basically wrestles the same

Like the big ass war raiders constantly doing flips and shyt. Once or twice a match would be :ooh: but all the time :ld:

I liked WALTER and Dunne :whew: match felt like a war. Thought Pete was gonna pull it off. WALTER’s theme is cold

Riddle vs Dream was nice, liked the aggressiveness from Riddle. Seems like a heel turn is coming

I like Gargano but I couldn’t finish the Main event. Skipped to the end :ld:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I only watched the first three matches and it was cool. The tag match was a total spotfest so it did very little for me, but I loved Dream/Riddle and Walter/Dunne. Not really interested in the women's 4-way and everything I've read about the main events tells me to never watch it.

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
Opening tag was fun. Enough with this makeshift tag team tho. Good way to introduce them to the main audience, but let's move on now. Dream vs Riddle was great as expected. I knew Dream was winning because he kicked out of everything. Which became the theme of this show. False finishes...

Dunn vs Walter was a nice change of pace. Loved how physical the match was. The finger bending was a little much but i get what they are trying to do. I knew mfs would be in here calling Walter trash :mjlol:. Never change TSC:mjgrin:

4 way was very good. Told a decent story of the Sky Pirates working together until they had to square off. Bianca desperate to prove herself and Shayna desperate to escape. Not mad at the finish as it's another visual pin for Bianca. They gotta build her character more and maybe they'll use this to fuel her push. I just wonder how Shayna not moving up plays into tom because i know that match is going to be overbooked as hell.

This main event had it's moments but it was a neckbeard wank fest. I'm tired of both of these non selling no gimmick having midgets. Johnny has had very good matches but i feel like I've seen the extent of his powers. You can only re arrange this match so many times before its obvious. Too many superkicks, kick outs, panama destroyers. UE came out and looked like idiots. This going to lead to UE feuding with Johnny? Eventually splintering the group and ending up with Cole vs O'Reilly for the next spot right? Bleh...

Good Takeover... let's go RoH/NJPW and the 50elemn other shows im watching this weekend:mjlit:

Yea I have been critical of Gargano and ciampa, kicking out of everything like they arent 5'8 150 pounds. Its everything I dont like about the indy no sell style,

There is no logical explination for Gargano to have kicked out of the UE finisher and the 2 superkicks into the shining wizard. It just took me out of it, I felt like jim Cornett for a minute, they need to tone that shyt down

However since when did TSC stop being fans of the flippy no sell style? or is everyone now burned out on it?

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Yea I have been critical of Gargano and ciampa, kicking out of everything like they arent 5'8 150 pounds. Its everything I dont like about the indy no sell style,

There is no logical explination for Gargano to have kicked out of the UE finisher and the 2 superkicks into the shining wizard. It just took me out of it, I felt like jim Cornett for a minute, they need to tone that shyt down

However since when did TSC stop being fans of the flippy no sell style? or is everyone now burned out on it?

I can't speak for others but I am practically #NWG these days and deliberately seek out more "old-fashioned" mat or hoss wrestling like BJW. But from what I read in this thread most people seem to think the main event was ridiculous. It's that I got nothing but love for Velveteen Dream and was highly anticipating Dunne/Walter or else I probably wouldn't have even made it past the indy spotfest that was War Raiders/Black & Ricochet.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So, I made a one night exit from NWG for my girl, since she really wanted to watch.

Best believe not a fukking penny was paid, though.

After having watched, it's sad to see that even NXT has fallen off.

Enjoyed the tag match and Dream/Riddle. Dream really is going to be be an absolute star. He's mastered the skill of the true greats of getting great matches out of like.......five moves. Not that he probably doesn't have more in the tuck, he just knows how to get the max reaction out of the simplest stuff. Looking forward to the years of threads of brehs getting frustrated with WWE's mishandling of him for what may or may not be vaguely racial reasons. :wow:

The rest of them shyts? Nah, not for me.

Dunne/Walter was cool until Dunne "broke" his fingers like eight times, and this giant dikkhead is out here still throwing chops and using both hands like ain't shyt happen. Matches that flip flop on whether they care about kayfabe or not annoy me sometimes. One minute, you're asked to believe that Walter has been rendered near defenseless, but the next, you're supposed to ignore it completely. Also, that powerbomb from the top at the end was nuts. Wasn't expecting him to literally throw him while they were midair. shyt was :picard: status.

Women's match was alright, but that was a classic case of great match that needed to have another winner. Baszler has legit cleared out the division, to the point where I have no clue what else they do with her.

That fukking main event though........ugh.

Two out of three falls for absolutely no fukking reason. The rest of the match probably isn't as absurd if it didn't have to account for two previous falls.

Gargano kicking out of everything short of a howitzer landing directly on top of him was absolutely ridiculous. Especially considering that he just lost a fall earlier in the match to a single finisher.

Breh really kicked out if Cole's finisher a million times, O'Reilly and Fish's finisher like it was nothing. Made all them dudes look like the putty patrol.

But the shrugging off finishers thing is only compelling if both wrestlers do it. Cole tapped quick on his first fall, and didn't get much of a struggle spot at the end.

Overall, just a massive exercise in excess. I completely understand how some would love the match, but I just couldn't get into it.

Last edited:

Kidd Dibiase

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Its not that TSC doesnt like the style anymore but when most of the matches on the same card have the same exact style and pace, it loses purpose in the later matches.

Last edited: