2XKO (2025)

Raw Sauce

Superstar
Daps
i believe Killer Instinct did that, but then had to buy season passes for other characters. I think that model is fair and hope this game has some type of founder pack to get the original characters
That's correct. The reason I referenced DOA instead of KI is that DOA is the only AAA budgeted fighter to ever do it, whereas KI was maybe AA at best. I'm really hoping SF6 takes this approach. I think with the roster, the single player stuff, easier to get into but harder to master gameplay, and the various QoL improvements they can move at least 10M copies. But if they make it a tiered F2P I could see that number easily doubling.

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
No one wants to hear it but anything that relies on a large and strong community should be F2P. Fighting games are intimidating enough without also having the upfront price tag. Unless the game is SF, MK, Smash, or Tekken, it's best to accept the fact that the game will probably go F2P at some point. I'd prefer it if there was a compromise such as the player can decide to buy the game for $60 to get the entire base roster, $90 to get the entire base roster and the first year costumes, or go in on the F2P way with a couple of rotating characters and buy what they want a la carte.

Seems like Japan is scared to do it because if it fails they know they can’t go back to 60-70$ per game, since they diminished the brand. They should be looking at some kind of model that is F2P but base it on a old or new IP before making the jump. It’ll be interesting to see with the FG in the pipeline if they release some kind of core pack mid cycle.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
That's correct. The reason I referenced DOA instead of KI is that DOA is the only AAA budgeted fighter to ever do it, whereas KI was maybe AA at best. I'm really hoping SF6 takes this approach. I think with the roster, the single player stuff, easier to get into but harder to master gameplay, and the various QoL improvements they can move at least 10M copies. But if they make it a tiered F2P I could see that number easily doubling.
I do feel fighting games are in a weird spot since the genre is intimidating and many skip over them unless easy to pick up like smash and MK. I do think making F2P fighting games have a lot of potential, but hope they don't implement battlepasses because that is starting to become a turnoff for me

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Looks liek F2P fighting games are here to stay outside of street fighter and Mortal Kombat, sad :francis:

Pretty much means no one else will be able to sell a premium fighter
This is the only f2p fighting game I can think of tho

KingsnBucs1987

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Indianapolis
This is the only f2p fighting game I can think of tho
Killer Instinct was as well, but I'm not surprised their f2p, every big title they've done is f2p

Low-key, I'm bout to see if my homie at Riot can get me on the beta or some shyt when it's announced :patrice:

Phillyrider807

My Soundtrack is the second “Carter”
Daps
Reppin
215 Uptown!
I appreciate the update but this just tells me the game is still very far off. Probably late 2023/early 2024. But everything this game has shown has looked great.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
They saw the potential that mvci squandered and made there move.

:blessed:

MVCI gameplay was amazing.

MVCI was a good game. its cast and graphics was just so unappealing it failed.

mvci was a wayyyyyy better fg than the shyt we have now tbh

Phillyrider807

My Soundtrack is the second “Carter”
Daps
Reppin
215 Uptown!
This shyt is still nameless??? 2024 release confirmed smh.

It looks very promising though.

As others have already said the core gameplay of mvci is very good. Everything else about that game was garbage, This looks like a polished version of mvci. And thats not a bad thing.