22 Maps That Show How Americans Speak English Totally Differently From Each Other

Daps
For me personally...

1. no description for critter (sometimes crawfish)

2. Caramel = 3 syllables

3. Been = sit

4. Bowie = Bo

5. Crayon = yon as in dawn

6. I'm pretty sure I've used both but it's pretty much law-yer

7. Coleslaw 100%

8. You guys or you all. Or "Ya" which is basically Ya'll w/o emphasizing the ll.

9. Mayonnaise = 3 syllables

10. Pajamas as in father

11. Pecan = pee-KAHN or PEE-kahn

12. Soda 99% (coke being the 1%)

13. I have no word for this but either traffic circle or roundabout.

14. Syrup = sih-rup

15. I've heard all three but I use sub.

16. Water fountain 100% (If I heard someone use bubbler I'd give them the :wtf:)

17. I've heard all three but it's sneakers. I used "gym shoes" during gym class, however.

18. Highway. I've heard freeway tho.

19. I have no official expression but I call it summer rain. Like the Carl Thomas song lol.

20. NYC 100%

21. I have no term for drive thru liquor stores other than........drive through liquor stores :yeshrug:

22. Mary/merry/marry = All 3 are different

Good thread.

KeysT

Playa from the Himalayas #ByrdGang
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
I live in Delaware and all I ever hear someone say is Sub, they are showing us for saying something mixed.

:dwillhuh:What part of DE? Maybe the closer you get to Philly the more people say Hoagie. I know Wilmington is like little Philly.

Commander in Chiefin

Passing blunts and bills $$$
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Green Party
When I first moved to Philly I went to the deli across from my job and ordered a "roast beef hero". The asian looked at me like :dwillhuh: "hero ???" That's when I learned they call it a hoagie down here.

To me, Philly has a lot of southern lingo/accents when it comes to certain words.

water = wooder
joint = jawn
towel = tayl
did you eat yet = j'eat yet ?

Gang$tarr

sohh coli since 2001
Daps
Now I'll let yall know how it is in Canada (atleast southern Ontario, where we dont have any accent)

Pop - soda always sounded like wut an old ass person would say

Carra-Mel

I say I "bin" there, but I here proper people say "been." I dunno where that guy gets his info on wuts a Canadian way of saying it, cuz I never heard that way.

Bow-Wee Knife

Cray-awn

Loyer

Coleslaw

You guys

May-uh-naize

Pa-jam-as

Pee-can pie

Crayfish

Roundabout

Sih-rup

Sub

Water fountain

Sneakers

Highway

Just got drive-thru beer stores, don't have a nick name yet

Mary, merry, marry - all the same

Gang$tarr

sohh coli since 2001
Daps
just to be clear, everyone pronounces the "t" in the middle of vowels as a "d", right?

like tomato = tuh may doe
united = yoo nye did
robotic = roe bah dic

and what about the words "comfortable" and "mountain"? i say cuhmf-truh-bull and moun'tin. im normal right? :ld:

That's how we say shyt in Canada too (atleast in S. Ontario, I think people with the Canadian accent pronounce Ts)

And why everybody calls Toronto - Torronno

RAX 010

NYG LWO METS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
EAST✈WEST
i looked at every single map. lol

tumblr_mcrqsrU0yp1riom23o1_400.jpg

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
That's how we say shyt in Canada too (atleast in S. Ontario, I think people with the Canadian accent pronounce Ts)

And why everybody calls Toronto - Torronno

as someone who doesnt have to say the word regularly, i'd probably eat the first vowel and call it tronto.

also :heh: you have a canadian accent too, just not the same one as in alberta or B.C.

i've seen a few in here saying they didnt think they had an accent. how is that possible? we're all speaking a language from a tiny island in the north atlantic (the adlannic), and we sound nothing like those who speak it. and on the island, there are hundreds of accents

CJ

Your objective semi-troll
Daps
Reppin
6ix
Coke/Pop all day babay :stylin:

Soda............. :heh:

ThisIsLife

Energy ⚡
Daps
Reppin
Near Philly
:dwillhuh:What part of DE? Maybe the closer you get to Philly the more people say Hoagie. I know Wilmington is like little Philly.

I live in Wilmington, never heard Hoagie from anyone, not even deli's or restauraunts say hoagie, only subs (except wawa if that counts :yeshrug:).

Sweet

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why do people make such a big deal about the midwest calling it pop? I have a much bigger issue with Wisconsin calling a water fountain a bubbler or Missisippi calling rain when the sun is out the devil beating his wife. I call it pop or soda depending how I feel btw.

I am from new orleans and we say the same thing when it rains and the sun is out :heh:

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
Thats crazy.....maybe I aint never notice that shyt. I got a philly accent for the most part but I grew up in pg so certain shyt I say wit a murrland accent.
Mayb its the way u wrote that shyt. :manny:

yeah i'd bet the differences are negligible. tbf i also grew up in moco :mjpls:

MustafaSTL

Achievement In Every Field of Human Endeavor
Daps
The devil is beating his wife? :what:

Bubbler? :what:

Crawdad? :what:

The fukk is this?