22 Maps That Show How Americans Speak English Totally Differently From Each Other

Anothergirl

Goat ™
Daps
funny i speak mostly like a northerner according to that ....although i do say "y'all" and "craw-fish". i guess being born in NY but raised in Texas impacted the way i pronouce a lot of stuff more than i thought :ehh:

Francium

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A lot of people in LA say ya'll than that map makes it out to be. Also, ask a Nor Californian what is the City and they will point you to San Francisco. I definitely see NYC as the City though. Don't know why Chicago would be the City

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere...You never there.
Do you say soda or pop?

I say soda. sneakers or sometimes tennis...never gym shoes. I say sub not hero.

Nearly all of the makers of carbonated beverages label it as soda. So that's what it is.

Crazy. I was going to start a thread a few days ago about how Americans have no consistency in accents and pronunciation.

Me too. Energy synergy.

South is just :snoop: at times.

The south's slang and accent game is top notch. No other comparable region. Get some bizniss 'bout 'cha self.

Here are some others I was thinking about. Your pronunciation and/or description of an object says a lot of you, your background and region:

Harassment: Huh-RASS-ment or HAIRass-ment
Vienna: VEE-inna or VIE-eena
Latte: LAH-tay or LAT-ay
Tomato: Tah-MAY-toe or Tah-MAH-toe

Toilet, Toilet Bowl, Commode or Stool
Refrigerator, fridge or ice box
Dinner or Supper
Fixin' to, Finna, Finst to or about to
Cooking Grease or Cooking Oil
Cookout or Barbeque
Stovetop Burner or Stovetop Eye
Trimmer, Clippers or Shaver

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere...You never there.
i can tell a lot of yall have never traveled :pachaha:

Not even that...folks haven't even talked to a variety of people from different regions...because you'd hear it when they talk.

few summers back i went to massachusetts and they had grinder shops everywhere :what:

Ohio folks say grinder, too. But there is a slight difference between grinder, sub, hoagie...

What is it? A Grinder, a sub, or a hoagie? | Answerbag
Hoagie/Grinder or Submarine

yall uncultured bamas callin them "jy-roze", huh?

That shyt right there...UGH...irks me to no end man!

Even the damn middle easterners in the Greek restaurants down here call it GYE-ROE...I'm like, nah YEE-ROE, nicca. YEE-ROE. :aicmon:

Where the real Greeks, at?!

Urahara_Kisuke

12th Squad O.G.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
12th Squad
:russ: @ pop.

What kinda Leave It To Beaver ass shyt?! I wanna change the channel, hand me the clicker while you're at it :ortiz:

ThisIsLife

Energy ⚡
Daps
Reppin
Near Philly
philadelphia-is-just-making-it-up-as-it-goes-along.jpg

Thats my Philly:blessed:

I live in Delaware and all I ever hear someone say is Sub, they are showing us for saying something mixed.

MustafaSTL

Achievement In Every Field of Human Endeavor
Daps
Breh it's them chicago and Detroit dudes calling it pop wit they not knowing country asses. In STL/KC we call it Soda and nothing else.

KC is heavy on saying pop. My wife is from there, I'm still trying to straighten her out.

ThisIsLife

Energy ⚡
Daps
Reppin
Near Philly
I know people from Baltimore who just call sneakers "tennis". lol just the one word, not even tennis shoes.
"yeah he bought some new tennis"

:dwillhuh:

That makes since as to why my dad and his siblings call sneakers "tennis shoes", because my grandmother was from Baltimore and my Grandfather was from West Virginia. I always thought that was weird, I even thought maybe it was a difference between the two.

ch15x

Mountaineer
Daps
Reppin
TN (east)
Working in higher ed, growing up in the south, and just generally traveling can bring up all sorts of lingo for me (Internet notwithstanding). :patrice:

:what: They invented drive through liquor stores?

I don't know how common it is, but we even have drive-thru tobacco shops around here...:pachaha: