Daps

Taylor Swift endorses Kamala Harris after presidential debate​

The singer's endorsement was signed "Childless Cat Lady."

Taylor Swift endorses Harris for president
Get more news
on

Sept. 10, 2024, 11:06 PM EDT / Updated Sept. 10, 2024, 11:27 PM EDT

By Daniel Arkin

Pop superstar Taylor Swift endorsed Vice President Kamala Harris' presidential candidacy on Tuesday night after the high-stakes debate with former President Donald Trump, calling the Democratic nominee a "steady-handed, gifted leader."

"I will be casting my vote for Kamala Harris and Tim Walz in the 2024 Presidential Election," Swift said in a post on Instagram to her more than 283 million followers. "I’m voting for @kamalaharris because she fights for the rights and causes I believe need a warrior to champion them. I think she is a steady-handed, gifted leader and I believe we can accomplish so much more in this country if we are led by calm and not chaos."

Swift went on to say that she was "heartened and impressed" by Harris' selection of Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz as her running mate, praising him as a champion of "LGBTQ+ rights, IVF and a woman's right to own her body for decades."

"I’ve done my research, and I’ve made my choice," the Grammy-winning artist added. "Your research is all yours to do, and the choice is yours to make. I also want to say, especially to first time voters: Remember that in order to vote, you have to be registered! I also find it’s much easier to vote early. I’ll link where to register and find early voting dates and info in my story."

Swift, 34, signed her post "Childless Cat Lady" — a reference to language used by Trump's running mate, Sen. JD Vance, R-Ohio, to describe women who do not have kids. Swift included a photo of herself holding her cat, Benjamin Button, who has graced the cover of Time magazine with the singer.

Swift's endorsement came as a surprise to the Harris campaign, two campaign officials told NBC News. The campaign views the singer's backing as part of a "decisive victory" for the vice president on the debate stage and speaks to her ability to attract support, one of the officials said.

The endorsement had been widely anticipated. Swift threw her support behind President Joe Biden and Harris during the 2020 presidential election. Swift allowed the Biden-Harris campaign to use her song “Only the Young” in an advertisement during the 2020 cycle.

Swift once shied away from weighing in on American politics. But with the release of her documentary "Miss Americana" in 2020, she became more vocal. The movie chronicled her behind-the-scenes fight to publicly denounce Sen. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn., then a member of the House. She endorsed Blackburn's Senate opponent, Phil Bredesen.

Blackburn ultimately won the race, but Swift's post on Instagram encouraging people to register to vote activated waves of young people, Vote.org said at the time.

In November, a national NBC News poll found 40% of registered voters had positive views of Swift, while 16% had negative views. A majority of Democrats (53%) viewed her positively, while 28% of Republicans said the same.

In the Instagram post, Swift also criticized social media users who have circulated images generated by artificial intelligence falsely stating that she had endorsed the Trump-Vance ticket. Trump shared a series of those images on his Truth Social platform.

"Recently I was made aware that AI of ‘me’ falsely endorsing Donald Trump’s presidential run was posted to his site. It really conjured up my fears around AI, and the dangers of spreading misinformation," she said. "It brought me to the conclusion that I need to be very transparent about my actual plans for this election as a voter. The simplest way to combat misinformation is with the truth."

Swifties for Kamala, a group of fans who have no official affiliation with either woman, said they were "thrilled."

"We’ve had no doubt that Taylor would endorse at the right time and are excited about the momentum she will bring to this campaign," Irene Kim, the group's co-founder, said in a statement.

Trump was asked to react to the news Swift's endorsement of his opponent after he walked into the "spin room" after the debate. "I have no idea," the GOP nominee said in response.

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

1/21
@Phil_Lewis_
Trump goes off the rails: “THEY’RE EATING THE PETS” /search?q=#Debate2024

2/21
@youthofindiaaaa
 Sparks flew at /search?q=#Debate2024!  Kamala Harris and Donald Trump went head-to-head in a showdown for the ages. Who do you think came out on top?  /search?q=#Election2024 /search?q=#PoliticalDebate /search?q=#VoteSmart/search?q=#Debate /search?q=#DebatePresidencial2024

3/21
@imnotpopbase
what is he even talking about

4/21
@english_shamar
Saturday Night Live is going to have a field day with this.

5/21
@770locks
Y’all really gonna vote for this screaming grandpa with Alzheimer’s

6/21
@MainstreamMario
is he ok??

7/21
@Hijkl4441
When your friend lying about a story and forgot you were there

8/21
@DiaryOfKeysus
Everybody:

9/21
@isaiahrwnyc
Trump's Debate Prep Team

10/21
@thetrnpodcast
He fell for the pump fake

11/21
@FiscalPhenom
I can't even handle this level of crazy anymore. /search?q=#TrumpMeltdown /search?q=#petloversunite 🐶🐱

12/21
@slvtguts
he's insane 😭

13/21
@Hijkl4441
Kamala said you are gonna shake my hand dammit

14/21
@GTP_Podcast
Yah nothing to see here folks…

15/21
@cookraymone
the haitians, there’s vid of them cooking a cat on this app btw

16/21
@PartialArabMike
They did

17/21
@Dadateyont
That’s because they are.

18/21
@Deep_biblestudy
Confirmed:

19/21
@candlerock
I can't stop laughing.

20/21
@ansaridilshad08
He is such a liar

21/21
@Cheetara1986
The animals seconds later...

To post tweets in this format, more info here: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-for-posting-the-coli-megathread.984734/post-52211196
GXKOCiPWwAA-jxr.jpg

bnew

Veteran
Daps

1/21
@Phil_Lewis_
"[Kamala Harris] wants to do another debate because she got beaten so bad tonight, I don't know if we're going to do another one. I wouldn't mind..."

Trump speaking to the press right now in the spin room

2/21
@youthofindiaaaa
 Sparks flew at /search?q=#Debate2024!  Kamala Harris and Donald Trump went head-to-head in a showdown for the ages. Who do you think came out on top?  /search?q=#Election2024 /search?q=#PoliticalDebate /search?q=#VoteSmart/search?q=#Debate /search?q=#DebatePresidencial2024

3/21
@HarlemJ11
Tomorrow they will make sure he only watches Newsmax or Fox News

He won’t see any of the poll results concerning how he got crushed and the comments about his Adderall fueled rage rambling on stage

4/21
@MidnightMonaye
Does he know that we saw him…?

5/21
@thetrnpodcast
Is that right?

6/21
@Dom_2k
This probably sound clever to dumb mfs 😭😭

7/21
@___Bonafide
He gone lie until he can’t no more

8/21
@3randyn
Trump got the same CTE that Biden has

9/21
@W0rldWideJess
He needs to reach a course on delusion and gaslighting 🌬️

10/21
@lookinass
he must be on drugs

11/21
@ThePhillipHolz
That’s a fact. She got crushed

12/21
@JettRadio

13/21
@Antkenob1
Because she got beat so bad tonight…

14/21
@flossysvmi
He slow

15/21
@redhatstranger
Chef’s kiss to a perfect night for Kamala Harris

16/21
@OneOfDaBarbz
The fact that he went to the spin room himself... He knows he got cooked.

17/21
@midsommarblues
The delusion chile

18/21
@MonishM92199459
Donald Trump won the debate tonight

EVERYBODY knows that’s a fact

Let's see ...

19/21
@wallywelles
He’s not going to do a second debate.

20/21
@jvIias
Trump:

21/21
@DonLew87
The man needs to be committed. He's insane.

To post tweets in this format, more info here: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-for-posting-the-coli-megathread.984734/post-52211196
GXKlkyeW4AAjKOx.jpg

GXKof_jXQAExRyi.jpg

bnew

Veteran
Daps

1/11
@Timodc
Just spoke with Lindsey Graham in the spin room he said the debate team
should be fired and Trump was unprepared. “disaster”

2/11
@Autarkh
Lindsey: "Didn't you have a plan to prepare him?"

Debate team: "We had concepts of a plan."

3/11
@fpereyra
at what point will they realize the candidate is flawed and there is no strategist alive that can whip him into shape?

4/11
@a_swing_voter
I’m gonna go out on a limb and say it wasn’t the debate team’s fault that Trump wasn’t prepared.

5/11
@the_resistor
So funny, it’s NEVER Trump’s fault.

6/11
@shane_holmberg
What? Laura Loomer, Tulsi Gabbard, and Corey Lewandowski weren't up for the task? Shocking.🤣

7/11
@RpsAgainstTrump
I can't stop laughing 🤣

8/11
@BrunoAmato_1
Every Republican should be fired for making Trump their nominee.

9/11
@ilikewike
Now the pets are eating their owners

10/11
@tweetMalena
Taylor Swift agrees!
/search?q=#KamalaWonBigly

11/11
@cinderellaicius
Sorry @LindseyGrahamSC Trump's complete fail tonight had nothing to do with his debate prep team. It's your man, he's a failure 😆 /search?q=#FailuresGonnaFail

Worthless Loser

Blackpilled
Daps

Very strange. Trump has never been next to Biden in any public setting. He didnt even attend Biden's inauguration. If he loses again he likely won't attend Harris inauguration.

Whenever the living Presidents get together, Trump is never there.

I thought Trump would be somewhere else in this location to avoid being next to them. His base voters would be conflicted. Dual thoughts: 1)Trump looks professional and nobody is giving him credit. 2) He's joined the deep state.