2023 Official NFL Draft Thread (April 27-29)

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If Colts don't have a major preference between the three they may be able to sit back or move to number 3. Would prefer that to overpaying the thirsty Bears.
when it comes to a franchise QB, you’re gonna have a preference, you aren’t sitting back and taking whoever falls

gonna be interesting to see if the Texans move up first, then the Bears can move back a second time :blessed:

Based Lord Zedd

Colts or Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston TX
when it comes to a franchise QB, you’re gonna have a preference, you aren’t sitting back and taking whoever falls

gonna be interesting to see if the Texans move up first, then the Bears can move back a second time :blessed:

But for what price? At some point it isn't worth it, especially if there's no standout top pick. I've heard good arguments for all three.

Also what's Fields trade value and what do Bears expect to get for the top pick? Is Fields worth less than the pick?

Are we expecting any/all three to have a higher ceiling than Fields?

If Indy truly believes one of these QBs is cant miss then I'm fine with them moving up, otherwise fukk overpaying the bears.

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
But for what price? At some point it isn't worth it, especially if there's no standout top pick. I've heard good arguments for all three.

Also what's Fields trade value and what do Bears expect to get for the top pick? Is Fields worth less than the pick?

If Indy truly believes one of these QBs is cant miss then I'm fine with them moving up, otherwise fukk overpaying the bears.
Bears are keeping Fields and trading the pick. It’s just a matter of with who. I could see them trading down twice tbh. Bout to get a haul

No GM wants to sit back and just get the leftovers for QB. Sounds like Panthers will be aggressively looking to get into the top 3. So even if the Colts want to move up one spot they will be competing with other teams to get into the top 3

Stop_It_5

Veteran
Daps

That's the balancing act all GMs have to consider. Moving up to the top of the board because of need and FOMO can't be your main motivation. We've seen it a bunch recently - Mahomes at 10, Watson at 12, Allen at 7, Lamar at 32, Herbert at 6, Hurts at 53, etc. It's not impossible to find a QB outside of the top 3. Even Fields at 11 and Mac at 15 look like better value than Wilson at 2 and Lance at 3 so far.

I don't think Irsay is a full blown Jerry but my biggest concern would be the pressure he's putting on Ballard to finally fill that void. The scenario of QBs going 1-2-3 and Indy having to settle for whoever's left strictly because the owner wants one is :francis: If that's the hand they're dealing with Ballard may have no choice but to move up and make sure he gets a QB him and his scouts actually like.

Based Lord Zedd

Colts or Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston TX
Bears are keeping Fields and trading the pick. It’s just a matter of with who. I could see them trading down twice tbh. Bout to get a haul

No GM wants to sit back and just get the leftovers for QB. Sounds like Panthers will be aggressively looking to get into the top 3. So even if the Colts want to move up one spot they will be competing with other teams to get into the top 3

It's only leftovers if there's a gap in quality.
At this point I wouldn't mind getting Stroud at 3 compared to Richardson at 1. I could be wrong but I'm not sure there's enough difference between the two to warrant the extra cost.

Plus if any of these QBs were truly a can't miss prospect Chicago would be drafting him. Fields is nice, just find it weird Chicago expects value for the top pick thay they possibly couldn't get trading their qb straight up.

Based Lord Zedd

Colts or Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston TX
That's the balancing act all GMs have to consider. Moving up to the top of the board because of need and FOMO can't be your main motivation. We've seen it a bunch recently - Mahomes at 10, Watson at 12, Allen at 7, Lamar at 32, Herbert at 6, Hurts at 53, etc. It's not impossible to find a QB outside of the top 3. Even Fields at 11 and Mac at 15 look like better value than Wilson at 2 and Lance at 3 so far.

I don't think Irsay is a full blown Jerry but my biggest concern would be the pressure he's putting on Ballard to finally fill that void. The scenario of QBs going 1-2-3 and Indy having to settle for whoever's left strictly because the owner wants one is :francis: If that's the hand they're dealing with Ballard may have no choice but to move up and make sure he gets a QB him and his scouts actually like.

Exactly. If you look at the last 10 years, it's not like it's a lock that the first QB taken is always the best in his class + franchise QB level. It happened with Burrow and Lawrence but do any of this years QB's grade out at that level/hype? Who is even the "best" of the three?

Irsay/Ballard have to be smart and not pull a Mitch Trubisky move or get Trey Lanced. If they trade up + give up a ton the QB has to be can't miss and clearly above the other two. It's already a big risk drafting any QB, it's an even bigger one once you mortgage the future to do so.

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's only leftovers if there's a gap in quality.
At this point I wouldn't mind getting Stroud at 3 compared to Richardson at 1. I could be wrong but I'm not sure there's enough difference between the two to warrant the extra cost.

Plus if any of these QBs were truly a can't miss prospect Chicago would be drafting him. Fields is nice, just find it weird Chicago expects value for the top pick thay they possibly couldn't get trading their qb straight up.
I would be surprised if Ballard & Steichen would be comfortable not being able to chose the QB they feel strongest about - when you put the amount of work & resources that goes into evaluating a franchise QB at the top of the draft, they will almost certainly have clear preferences on who they want for the next decade, the QB they pick will determine their careers. Its easier from our seats as fans to say, yeah, they are all look like the same tier, Ill be happy with the guy the other 2 teams passed on

as for the Bears - it doesnt matter how high these QB rank as "prospects". all that matters is that there is demand to draft them high, which there is. Its looking like a damn near certainty now that picks 1-3 will be QBs. And the #1 pick has much more value than Fields as a trade piece. The Bears like Fields and this opportunity to trade down is going to be massive in terms of allowing them to build their team. the Bears arent reliant on the Colts moving to #1, someone else will do it regardless