DM[V]
230112123239-zoey-101-file.jpg

The come-up is real. :wow:

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I have a friend who works on these Oscar campaigns, and the Times just did an expose on the process of buying Oscasr nods and wins, the whole thing is just like a political campaign.

I don't think any of the movies I really liked last year were nominated, understandably so, I saw a few, Banshees, Tar, off the top of my head, but a lot just don't appeal to me, The Fabelmans, Michelle Williams I really lie, but I can't watch this. They all follow generally such a safe formula of retro conservative messages with progressive trappings, not too much violence, not too much sex, they are very safe. Triangle Of Sadness is a mess of a movie, and should not be anywhere near anything, that's the Academy signaling "eat the rich" values, that's their nod to progressivism. Empire of Light deserves that nod, Roger Deacons did great work there.

Just look at the best picture list and the values espoused by those movies, you get patriotism, (Top Gun) family, (Fabelmans) weak willed nods to "Occupy The Oscars", (Trinage Of Sadness) and war is bad but necessary. So predictable.

my favorites:

Emily The Criminal
Bardo (or is that nominated)
Stars At Noon
A Chiara
Sundown
Bones And All

Last edited:

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have a friend who works on these Oscar campaigns, and the Times just did an expose on the process of buying Oscasr nods and wins, the whole thing is just like a political campaign.

I don't think any of the movies I really liked last year were nominated, understandably so, I saw a few, Banshees, Tar, off the top of my head, but a lot just don't appeal to me, The Fabelmans, Michelle Williams I really lie, but I can't watch this. They all follow generally such a safe formula of retro conservative messages with progressive trappings, not too much violence, not too much sex, they are very safe. Triangle Of Sadness is a mess of a movie, and should not be anywhere near anything, that's the Academy signaling "eat the rich" values, that's their nod to progressivism. Empire of Light deserves that nod, Roger Deacons did great work there.

my favorites:

Emily The Criminal
Stars At Noon
A Chiara
Sundown
Bones And All
I think it's an open secret that the Academy Awards is based more on backstage politics than the actual talent behind or in front of the camera.

That's why I'm surprised when a Moonlight or Parasite wins Best Picture because they normally wouldn't touch those type of movies.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I think it's an open secret that the Academy Awards is based more on backstage politics than the actual talent behind or in front of the camera.

That's why I'm surprised when a Moonlight or Parasite wins Best Picture because they normally wouldn't touch those type of movies.

Right, those are exceptions proving the rule, actually brilliant and subversive movies, that don't follow a formula, purer artistic expression I guess

There whole PR firms and dirty campaigns, millions of dollars worth of lobbying. I didn't know that extent of it.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Right, those are exceptions proving the rule, actually brilliant and subversive movies, that don't follow a formula, purer artistic expression I guess
What do you think about EEAAO?
It follows the subversive movie path, and it's favored to win best picture

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego

I didn't see, probably a mistake, but I think it's a legit movie, every so often the get it right, like you referenced, as in Moonlight and Parasite

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
I didn't see, probably a mistake, but I think it's a legit movie, every so often the get it right, like you referenced, as in Moonlight and Parasite
It's on Showtime, maybe you can get a free trial

K-Deini

GOAT
Supporter
Daps
Need my dog brendan Fraser to win tonight to complete the comeback arc :blessed:

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
If Jamie wins for Supporting Actress then I don't think Michelle will win for Best Actress. But if she (Jamie) loses, I think Michelle wins. I just can't see EEAAO cleaning up everything. It's a rare feat the movie with the most noms, win them all. Even for Best Picture, I think it's in the middle of the pack.

Also when it comes to Mrs. Bassett: Ay man, we don't have to win every year. I get it, I can't justify it but it can't be a W for us all the time.
full

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia

EEAAO is the kinda movie 10 years that would've won Best Original Screenplay and that's it. They used to give Best Original Screenplay to movies for being the most quirky, like Adaptation or Juno. But then they'd chicken out of giving it Best Picture and reward some instantly forgettable Oscar bait like The Artist or The King's Speech instead.

Tonight EEAAO could win as many as 5 major Oscars. Picture, Supporting Actor, Director are locks, and Actress and Supporting Actress are toss-ups. I'm not the biggest fan of the movie, but it's progress for the Academy.

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia

Just look at the best picture list and the values espoused by those movies, you get patriotism, (Top Gun) family, (Fabelmans) weak willed nods to "Occupy The Oscars", (Trinage Of Sadness) and war is bad but necessary. So predictable.

my favorites:

Emily The Criminal
Stars At Noon
A Chiara
Sundown
Bones And All

God I hated Empire of Light so much. I'm tired of those "racism bad, friendship good" Oscar bait movies. Armageddon Time falls into this category too, but that movie was less clumsy about it.

Didn't like Bardo, but I never like Iniarritu so that isn't surprising. Sundown was fine, but I feel like it got overshadowed by Aftersun, a better white-man-depressed-on-vacation movie.