2022 Midterm Elections: NO RED WAVE! - GOP Takes U.S. House; Dems Keep U.S. Senate

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

:ohhh: At the numbers for independents.

For decades the American people have been indoctrinated with the belief that Government IS the problem. Not too hard to expect. That belief is going to change very soon though...

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
so this is my liberal p*ssy governor, who's forcing 3 million taxpayers to wear masks when they leave the house

but guess what? apparently you stop "spreading covid", when you're giving out turkeys to white women :laff:

FEqRzSJVIAM2Nvl

it's almost like the democrats actually want to lose in 2022. i cant vote this fool out fast enough

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Dems finally waking up :whoo:

Democrats Develop Bold Plan to Not Take Their Base for Granted

DEMOCRATS DEVELOP BOLD PLAN TO NOT TAKE THEIR BASE FOR GRANTED
The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee is investing $30 million in an effort to connect with nonwhite voters and to combat disinformation campaigns.
BY ERIC LUTZ

NOVEMBER 17, 2021
Maloney11.17.jpg

Representative Sean Patrick Maloney descends the steps of the Capitol in May after a vote. BILL CLARK/CQ-ROLL CALL, INC VIA GETTY IMAGES

After stinging setbacks in this month’s elections, and as they seek to ward off further gains by the extremist GOP in next year’s midterms, Democrats are putting forth a new strategy: Actually taking their message to their base. According to NPR, which first reported on the plan Wednesday, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee is boosting its outreach to communities of color, investing $30 million in an effort to connect with nonwhite voters and to combat disinformation campaigns, among other measures to buttress the diverse coalition that helped elect Joe Biden to the White House last November.

“What we have learned from studying the 2020 election is, when we invest in communities of color, it pays real dividends,” Representative Sean Patrick Maloney, chair of the DCCC, told NPR.

Democrats in 2020 gained the White House and Senate, and held the House, thanks in large part to the voters of color, particularly Black voters, who make up the backbone of their base. But the party also lost some ground last year, with Donald Trump making small gains among Hispanic voters, and has struggled to inspire the kind of enthusiasm in the base they may need in the midterms to overcome a fired-up GOP and the disenfranchisement laws they’ve ushered in since Trump’s loss. Seeking to turn things around, the party is attempting to absorb the lessons from Georgia, one of their biggest 2020 success stories.

“We can’t just show up in a community and expect people to listen to us and turn out overnight,” Representative Nikema Williams, head of the Georgia Democratic Party and leader of the DCCC’s voting rights and voter education efforts, told NPR. “I had a novel idea: What if we did year-round organizing and continued to bring information to the voters and continued to let voters know how Democrats were delivering for them? That’s what we did in Georgia, that’s how we won in Georgia, and that’s what we’re doing with the DCCC.”

The efforts, which include investments in community organizing, targeted advertising, and voter education campaigns, are in line with the conclusions of a sobering report this summer analyzing Democrats’ performance in the 2020 election. Compiled by the Third Way think tank, the examination found that Democrats’ outreach to Black, Hispanic, and Asian American voters tended to come closer to Election Day—in some cases, after early voting had already begun—and often treated nonwhite voters as a “monolith,” failing to account for differing opinions within demographic groups. “We have to be very fine-tuned in the way that we talk to our electorates,” Nathalie Rayes, president and CEO of the Latino Victory Fund, one of the groups behind the report, told USA Today in July. “We keep pulling down the fact that we’re not a monolith—not only Latinos, not only Asians, not only Blacks. We have a different spectrum of things that will drive us to the voting booth.”

It’s unclear why the Democrats are only now recognizing they can’t take their voters for granted, but they’ll need to act with urgency. Other warning lights are blinking for the party, including in New Jersey, where governor Phil Murphy’s near loss to a Republican challenger has made the road for Democrats in the swing state a lot rockier than it might have been. There, as elsewhere, proof of concept is crucial. “I will confess to being incredibly frustrated over the past couple of months,” Democratic Congresswoman Mikie Sherrill told my colleague Chris Smith, referring to negotiations over Joe Biden’s infrastructure and Build Back Better plans.

Elsewhere in the country, studies suggest Democrats are shedding support of every demographic. The country can ill-afford a return to power for the Trumpian Republican party, which has gotten perhaps even more radical since the 2020 election, but omen after omen has elicited concern that we could be headed for just such a GOP rise next cycle. That doesn’t mean Democrats should start building their own coffins, of course. But it does mean they should prioritize not only maintaining the diverse coalition that lifted them to success in 2020, but expanding it.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
@ZoeGod @storyteller

1:30:50 - John from San Antonio talking about gerrymandering being a net wash this cycle

John from SA can be a little too optimistic at times, but I do think he threw in some interesting tidbits. I think the combo of gerrymandering and incumbent during midterms-itis will still hit us hard, but with the Infrastructure bill and BBB the Dems might actually have some stuff to run on that helps fight back for a change.

There's also this whole interesting spot we're in with the Trump supporter side of things. Youngkin kinda distanced himself and it feels like for some GOP'ers the strategy needs to be to disconnect from Trump while others will aim to fully embrace the Trump rhetoric. I'm not sure if Dems can capitalize on how disjointed that is, but even when the big bills were on life-support I felt negative partisanship and particularly binding the GOP to Trump and the uglier side of his support would be a key piece to electoral success.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
John from SA can be a little too optimistic at times, but I do think he threw in some interesting tidbits. I think the combo of gerrymandering and incumbent during midterms-itis will still hit us hard, but with the Infrastructure bill and BBB the Dems might actually have some stuff to run on that helps fight back for a change.

There's also this whole interesting spot we're in with the Trump supporter side of things. Youngkin kinda distanced himself and it feels like for some GOP'ers the strategy needs to be to disconnect from Trump while others will aim to fully embrace the Trump rhetoric. I'm not sure if Dems can capitalize on how disjointed that is, but even when the big bills were on life-support I felt negative partisanship and particularly binding the GOP to Trump and the uglier side of his support would be a key piece to electoral success.
1:30:50 - John from San Antonio talking about gerrymandering being a net wash this cycle

he's the same dude who swore Bernie had a chance and had all these dream scenarios of him magically making shyt pop. Just sheer delusion. He's just another white bernie bro who doesn't really see shyt realistically. The way he blew Bernie's shot BOTH TIMES is insane and he's still optimistic. Just an absolute clown.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
he's the same dude who swore Bernie had a chance and had all these dream scenarios of him magically making shyt pop. Just sheer delusion. He's just another white bernie bro who doesn't really see shyt realistically. The way he blew Bernie's shot BOTH TIMES is insane and he's still optimistic. Just an absolute clown.

Your view of the left is completely warped breh (you keep post Matty Yglesias in the dirtbag left thread when lefties can't stand him because he's a Vox liberal that happened to write a couple of positive Bernie articles). John's whiffed hard on Super Tuesday, but he's talked polling and elections on MR for years with plenty of good predictions along the way. Pollsters get shyt wrong all the time and he's no different, but he's not any worse just because he overestimated youth turnout during the last primaries.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Your view of the left is completely warped breh (you keep post Matty Yglesias in the dirtbag left thread when lefties can't stand him because he's a Vox liberal that happened to write a couple of positive Bernie articles). John's whiffed hard on Super Tuesday, but he's talked polling and elections on MR for years with plenty of good predictions along the way. Pollsters get shyt wrong all the time and he's no different, but he's not any worse just because he overestimated youth turnout during the last primaries.
John has a completely saccharine view of the left that never carries any intuitive analysis of how reality comes into putting a ceiling on his ambitions. It’s just naive at this point. I listen to MR almost religiously and I know him well but come on now.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
John has a completely saccharine view of the left that never carries any intuitive analysis of how reality comes into putting a ceiling on his ambitions. It’s just naive at this point. I listen to MR almost religiously and I know him well but come on now.

I'll repeat, he's no better or worse than any other pollster that you probably would kneel to in fealty because they said something nice about the Clintons or Neera Tanden. Pollsters suck at predicting anything until right before elections and recently they've even had trouble there. He's gotten things wrong because reading polls doesn't translate so easily to election results, especially at the present. Just look at Nate...still getting by off getting things right a decade ago but been half-assed ever since.