2022 Midterm Elections: NO RED WAVE! - GOP Takes U.S. House; Dems Keep U.S. Senate

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
It was stupid. They could have achieved these aims WITHOUT the stupid slogan. Y’all just can’t come up off this framing without ignoring that we don’t want reforms.

How do you press "Abolish the police" forward as a concept without saying that's your aim? You don't want reform, but that doesn't mean everyone agrees.

I'm quoting an article that's all about the massive growth in scholarship about the reforms... clearly a significant chunk of people actually do want reforms and discussions about how those take shape are valuable for anyone that cares about this issue beyond talking points.
Today’s law students (who, of course, are partially responsible for generating, editing, and promoting such scholarship) seem curious about, and receptive to, abolitionist interventions. It’s not just that they have been exposed to scholars like Professors Angela Davis and Ruth Wilson Gilmore in mainstream newspapers, magazines, podcasts, and memes. Their political consciousness has been shaped by two nationwide protest movements centered on racial justice, state violence, and the broader operation of criminal law: those in 2014 and 2015 after the killing of Michael Brown, and those in the summer of 2020 after the killings of Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, and George Floyd.

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
@BigMoneyGrip believes the Dems are keeping the House. All of his posts in this thread say as such.
What’s so hard to believe Dems keep the house by a slim majority of 5-8 seats like I been saying? Don’t go into hiding bozo I’m coming for your neck :mjlol:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
How do you press "Abolish the police" forward as a concept without saying that's your aim? You don't want reform, but that doesn't mean everyone agrees.

I'm quoting an article that's all about the massive growth in scholarship about the reforms... clearly a significant chunk of people actually do want reforms and discussions about how those take shape are valuable for anyone that cares about this issue beyond talking points.
I don't give a shyt about honest scholarship. I'm talking about winning votes. This scholarship rarely trickles down and defund the police was a bullshyt phrase from the last 2 years that made it into the mainstream.

People weren't talking this way even when The New Jim Crow came out.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I don't give a shyt about honest scholarship. I'm talking about winning votes. This scholarship rarely trickles down and defund the police was a bullshyt phrase from the last 2 years that made it into the mainstream.

People weren't talking this way even when The New Jim Crow came out.

And that's why I consistently point out that this stuff might not be immediately helpful politically. Your position on issues is too tied to immediate polling and not trends (except when you talk about Hispanic voters for some odd reason).

The fact that people weren't talking this way when the New Jim Crow dropped is exactly my point...That Harvard Law Review article literally credits the Mike Brown and Freddy Gray movements with helping push the concepts into mainstream view. Part of that are those "stupid" slogans that you hate so much. We've seen positive AND negative normalization for concepts that were unpopular in the past but have regained support in certain circles.
Positive: Decriminalize and Legalize Marijuana
Negative: Antivax ish.

Legal Scholarship doesn't necessarily mean somethings about to be broadly adopted. But it represents closer looks at the practical implications and discussions around a concept that someone might otherwise dismiss as dumb; and it can help legislators or activists work out ways to push reform forward (legislators in obvious ways and activists through tort reform strategies.).

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
To throw in my favorite response to Cenk's line of questioning, you miss the forest for the trees if you only focus on the electoral implications of concepts this complex. Again, I think it's a completely different convo for people that care about this issue enough to read about it and it's done a disservice when people oversimplify it for the sake of tallying votes in a single election.:

Side theory: I'm guessing prison reform won't be at the top of many people's exit poll concerns who succumb to this sort of logic. Their votes will be swayed by other issues moreso than reform. But that's just my speculation.

Last edited:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
To quote my favorite response to Cenk's line of questioning, you miss the forest for the trees if you only focus on the electoral implications of concepts this complex. Again, I think it's a completely different convo for people that care about this issue enough to read about it and it's done a disservice when people oversimplify it for the sake of tallying votes in a single election.:
This is a big problem with this forum. Thinking about solutions to our problems are sidetracked for how things impact elections.

I read about prison abolition before George Floyd's murder, and that shyt didn't make sense to me until i started digging more into it. How can you not attempt to craft a society where we don't need prisons unless you don't care about the problems with criminal justice in this country? I have never heard anyone say remove prisons tomorrow and sort things out. Its a process.

The problem with this forum is people are too election brained and we live in a nation that teaches us about the great man instead of the people who moved things. If we learned in school why we celebrate Labor Day in the US and not May Day like the rest of the world, people would be more inspired to create change. Or how we got the 5 day/40 hour work week. Or how the Civil Rights movement was a 100 year movement and not MLK antagonizing Lyndon Johnson to sign a bill

Dericka Purnell will become a more important figure as the years go on because she sees what it is and her writing has shown that over the years.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
This just fires up Dems

R's held a press conference and everything on it today too...

...the very DAY of a pretty damaging inflation report for the Dems

way to change the narrative Lady G! now all the media cycle talking about today is how the R's will nationalize an abortion ban if elected, and not about the inflation report

it's like Rs TRYING to lose!

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
And that's why I consistently point out that this stuff might not be immediately helpful politically. Your position on issues is too tied to immediate polling and not trends (except when you talk about Hispanic voters for some odd reason).

The fact that people weren't talking this way when the New Jim Crow dropped is exactly my point...That Harvard Law Review article literally credits the Mike Brown and Freddy Gray movements with helping push the concepts into mainstream view. Part of that are those "stupid" slogans that you hate so much. We've seen positive AND negative normalization for concepts that were unpopular in the past but have regained support in certain circles.
Positive: Decriminalize and Legalize Marijuana
Negative: Antivax ish.

Legal Scholarship doesn't necessarily mean somethings about to be broadly adopted. But it represents closer looks at the practical implications and discussions around a concept that someone might otherwise dismiss as dumb; and it can help legislators or activists work out ways to push reform forward (legislators in obvious ways and activists through tort reform strategies.).
Son, you don't need a bad slogan to achieve these aims.

AGAIN:...PRO-CHOICE vs PRO-ABORTION

Big difference

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
This is a big problem with this forum. Thinking about solutions to our problems are sidetracked for how things impact elections.

I read about prison abolition before George Floyd's murder, and that shyt didn't make sense to me until i started digging more into it. How can you not attempt to craft a society where we don't need prisons unless you don't care about the problems with criminal justice in this country? I have never heard anyone say remove prisons tomorrow and sort things out. Its a process.

The problem with this forum is people are too election brained and we live in a nation that teaches us about the great man instead of the people who moved things. If we learned in school why we celebrate Labor Day in the US and not May Day like the rest of the world, people would be more inspired to create change. Or how we got the 5 day/40 hour work week. Or how the Civil Rights movement was a 100 year movement and not MLK antagonizing Lyndon Johnson to sign a bill

Dericka Purnell will become a more important figure as the years go on because she sees what it is and her writing has shown that over the years.
yeah, and you don't get rid of prisons to do this

Y'all are just talking about pie in the sky shyt and putting no points up on the board.

Improving people's ability to avoid crime is different of where to put violent criminals

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
To throw in my favorite response to Cenk's line of questioning, you miss the forest for the trees if you only focus on the electoral implications of concepts this complex. Again, I think it's a completely different convo for people that care about this issue enough to read about it and it's done a disservice when people oversimplify it for the sake of tallying votes in a single election.:

Side theory: I'm guessing prison reform won't be at the top of many people's exit poll concerns who succumb to this sort of logic. Their votes will be swayed by other issues moreso than reform. But that's just my speculation.

she picked a bad slogan and can't change her mind on it because she's personally invested in it.

if your first answer is "well what I REALLY mean is..."

You fukking lost.

"we have to change everything"

yo...yall can't even get white supremacists out of office, but you talking about "changing society fundamentally"...ok thanks for that. You fukking genius :laff:

You ask these fukking "do the reading" types to just merely vote democrats then they hem and haw about the ineffectiveness of electorialism.

Just round and round we go. Jesus fukking christ. Yall cant even do the BASIC shyt :snoop: