2022 Midterm Elections: NO RED WAVE! - GOP Takes U.S. House; Dems Keep U.S. Senate

voiture

Superstar
Daps
Soooo Dems losing 20 seats despite the Scotus taking away womens right to choose? So everyone ignoring the obvious of a red state like Kansas voting to block abortion being illegal? Michigan having abortion rights on the ballot in November? (Which is bad for the gop), Dems flipping a house seat in Alaska? NY-19 getting flipped to Dem? Texas with 300k new voter registrations? The gop incumbents literally scrubbing their websites of their position on abortion rights and voting for it to be illegal? We ignoring that? Or them NPR cacs ignoring the obvious as well?
Atmosphere is starting to favor democrats but will people get off their ass to vote?
I don't even see the DNC chair pressing the abortion issue.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
If course they polls are off it’s because they are not accounting for the new voter registrations that spiked literally in June after the overturning of Roe.. Those new registrations are the UNLIKELY voters that will be voting… Like I been saying Dems holding the house by 5-8 seats and gaining 2 seats in the senate

The democrats gonna gain 5 seats in the Senate. PA, WI, NC, and OH in play

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
This is a fair point. We saw this in 2016, 2018, and 2020. Trumpers don't answer polls.

To play devil's advocate, 2022 has a couple of key differences. First, RvW overturn that has led to spiked voter registration numbers that likely favor Dems. Second, Dems have won races they would have normally lost in the run-up (AK House being the most prominent).

We could get almost any result, and I wouldn't be too surprised. I think complete fukkery is on tap this November, whatever happens.

Pretty much. The only call I feel comfortable making is that Big Gretch gets reelected :hubie:

Not even going to try to predict the House/Senate this cycle, too many close races and unreliable polls

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Soooo Dems losing 20 seats despite the Scotus taking away womens right to choose? So everyone ignoring the obvious of a red state like Kansas voting to block abortion being illegal? Michigan having abortion rights on the ballot in November? (Which is bad for the gop), Dems flipping a house seat in Alaska? NY-19 getting flipped to Dem? Texas with 300k new voter registrations? The gop incumbents literally scrubbing their websites of their position on abortion rights and voting for it to be illegal? We ignoring that? Or them NPR cacs ignoring the obvious as well?

And on the other side you have inflation, gas prices, trans stuff, and critical race theory stuff all working against the Dems, Incumbant Democratic president having around 43-45% approval rating, incumbant party often losing seats in the midterms, generic House polls still showing the Dems losing seats, and the polls having underpredicted Republican turnout in 3 straight elections because Trump supporters just plain don't answer pollsters and that doesn't seem to ever get factored in.

I'll agree some recent developments have been encouraging. But "encouraging" means reducing a 60-seat bloodbath to just a 20 seat loss. The pundits have been wrong plenty of times before, but it was striking to me that literally every person they talked to on NPR said that they expected the Republicans to win the House.

Checking FiveThirtyEight, they have the polls still favoring Republicans too:

74% chance of Republican victory, 26% chance of Democratic victory. So there's a real shot for Dems, but they're pretty far behind still.

Daps
I've been feeling for a while now that Roe v Wade is fool's gold for the Democrats, but I didn't want to ruin the little powwow in here so I let it go. :hubie:
I can't agree that it's fool's gold based on some of these state elections that have happened. I think it'll be interesting to see just how much it matters in two months.

Daps
And on the other side you have inflation, gas prices, trans stuff, and critical race theory stuff all working against the Dems, Incumbant Democratic president having around 43-45% approval rating, incumbant party often losing seats in the midterms, generic House polls still showing the Dems losing seats, and the polls having underpredicted Republican turnout in 3 straight elections because Trump supporters just plain don't answer pollsters and that doesn't seem to ever get factored in.

I'll agree some recent developments have been encouraging. But "encouraging" means reducing a 60-seat bloodbath to just a 20 seat loss. The pundits have been wrong plenty of times before, but it was striking to me that literally every person they talked to on NPR said that they expected the Republicans to win the House.

Checking FiveThirtyEight, they have the polls still favoring Republicans too:

74% chance of Republican victory, 26% chance of Democratic victory. So there's a real shot for Dems, but they're pretty far behind still.

Y'all just won't stop counting Joe out... every time y'all say there's no way, he finds one, but y'all still counting him out. :wow:

Biden is just at his 2 year mark, and he's running circles around even the Obama presidency. :wow:

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

:mjgrin: interesting play. because i assume this restores 15 weeks of abortion rights to women in red states that banned it?

pro lifers would be furious

edit: wait a second :dead: its just a 15 week ban... but states can still ban it completely? the hell is this bullshyt :childplease:

Last edited:
Daps
I mean, @Rhakim in that post literally said there was a way and used a data projection to show the Dems with a 1-in-4 chance.

There are a lot of structural disadvantages that make it hard for Dems to retain the House, but if the polls and pundits miss that abortion rights are a legit third rail like Social Security, who knows? Hell, I think there is a possibility that this is true, but the Dems still lose the House because of how the districts are drawn up.

Daps
Gives democrats a chance to call the Republicans in states with barely any exceptions as radicals.

And it also risks Trumpers deciding that the GOP are RINOs. Trump would jump on this if they tried it.

Interesting that the GOP feels it has to respond. I wonder what their numbers are saying. :jbhmm:

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
The democrats gonna gain 5 seats in the Senate. PA, WI, NC, and OH in play

You've only named 4 seats. North Carolina will be hard, and an Ohio pickup would be wild.

Plus they have to defend Nevada, New Hampshire, Arizona, and Georgia.

FiveThirtyEight gives about a 14% chance (less than 1 in 7) of the Dems picking up 4 seats. Meanwhile there's over 30% chance that the Republicans end up being the ones picking up seats.

I do think (hope) the Dems will hold onto the Senate. And seat pickups are possible. But getting more than 1-2 net pickups is not going to be easy, and any pickup at all is by no means assured.