DirtyD

Last Time That I Checc'd......
Daps
Reppin
Queens
“I take this 100% personal,” Wilkes said. “This has nothing to do with politics as it pertains to me, because all of these issues not only directly impact me, but people in my community. And I see it every single day.”

And criminal justice is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Wilkes’ platform, as she tackles other progressive issues such as the Green New Deal, Medicare For All, policing, gun violence prevention, housing security, one policy outline called “The Black Agenda” and more.

“These issues are bigger than just individuals…there actually needed to be systemic change to prevent predatory practices that harm people in my community, people of color, people that are living in poverty, people that are suffering from substance abuse issues and mental health issues,” Wilkes said. “I specifically decided to mount a challenge to Steny Hoyer because this is someone who voted for every single crime bill that has ever been written that has contributed to our mass incarceration crisis, someone who does not want to federally legalize marijuana and end the war on drugs that is hurting people in my community, that directly impacted me. I was incarcerated for possession of marijuana.

Mckayla Wilkes On Her Run To Unseat House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer

Mckayla2020

@FAH1223 I know you're from MD any thoughts on Wilkes?

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

I live in Maryland's 5th.

She's got a good story but she has no money running against the #2 Dem in the House. Steny Hoyer has been in that seat for almost 40 years and he's still visible in the district. My dad says there's no way he's gonna lose this seat as long as he's alive cause of the $$$ brought in the district and how the district is gerrymandered.

Hoyer actually called my mom (robocall) last week :mjlol: