Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
80ukfyxd7xk41.jpg

Althalucian

All Star
Daps
Sigh...I can't believe I have to say this, but with Biden being the nominee...

Democrats need to lose the 2020 Presidential election if they ever want to pass a single large piece of progressive legislation in the next 12 years.

Biden's presidency will be awful, for:
  • Left leaning Democrats and progressives in terms of policy (by his and his wife's own admission - he is fighting for the status quo and to defeat Trump, but that's it)
  • Moderate Democrats because of the perception that Biden is a horrible president WHEN and WHILE he is president - expect it and think ahead for a moment: his old age, dementia, gaffes, no change - a neoliberalism way worse than the WORST aspects of Obama or Hillary, etc.
If Biden becomes president, I think it guarantees that a Republican will win the Presidency in 2024. They won't have Trump tied around their necks anymore because the American people (especially Republicans) get political amnesia easily. Republicans have a great number of talented people in their 50s and 60s who are poised to run and win. They are very hungry and very smart. They will easily defeat Biden, who people will be very over at that point considering all of his weaknesses and age. The man can't even be trusted to run an incumbent campaign. And then, we will likely have a two-term Republican president until at least 2032.

A continuing Trump presidency, however, will push Democratic voters to vote in an overwhelming amount of Democrats into power in 2024, guaranteeing a majority in the House, Senate, and of course the Presidency, thereby giving them the opportunity to pass some actual policy. Some actual change - imagine that. Think what happened to Obama in 2012 and 2016, but for Republicans. They got a lot of power, momentum, and eventually a majority, even with crazy Trump. Or, you could just imagine a 2008 Obama Presidency, with a real supermajority.

You'll also have a refreshed group of 2024 Democratic candidates who are poised and ready to battle the Republican candidates. Those Republican candidates will have Trump tied around their neck - making it easier to defeat a Nikki Haley or Sasse or whomever. Oh, and if you want to get really angry, if we have Biden as President, that increases the likelihood that the first woman to become president will be a woman: Nikki Haley. Imagine how that would blow up the Democratic narrative for women.

The downside of this strategy is Trump likely getting another conservative or two on the Supreme Court. The neutral side to this is that there are already 9 Supreme court justices, and 5 are already conservative, so it's not like it isn't stacked in their favor. But, you have to see it this way: control of two out of three branches of government so you can pass progressive policy, OR two supreme court justices which represent only one branch of government (and generally, but not always, a non-activist one, in comparison to the Executive and Legislative branch). But yeah, that's a huge downside.

The other downside is that Trump will bring chaos for the next four years and who knows what he might do. This is a pure risky trade-off.

Once again, this is for passing legislation that could actually make a difference, not just "winning." If winning is all you care about...well...this is still a good strategy.

Anyone want to counter this?

(Edit: btw, I'm not talking about Warren or Bernie or whatever...just the reality of Biden being the nominee.)

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Sigh...I can't believe I have to say this, but with Biden being the nominee...

Democrats need to lose the 2020 Presidential election if they ever want to pass a single large piece of progressive legislation in the next 12 years.

Biden's presidency will be awful, for:
  • Left leaning Democrats and progressives in terms of policy (by his and his wife's own admission - he is fighting for the status quo and to defeat Trump, but that's it)
  • Moderate Democrats because of the perception that Biden is a horrible president WHEN and WHILE he is president - expect it and think ahead for a moment: his old age, dementia, gaffes, no change - a neoliberalism way worse than the WORST aspects of Obama or Hillary, etc.
If Biden becomes president, I think it guarantees that a Republican will win the Presidency in 2024. They won't have Trump tied around their necks anymore because the American people (especially Republicans) get political amnesia easily. Republicans have a great number of talented people in their 50s and 60s who are poised to run and win. They are very hungry and very smart. They will easily defeat Biden, who people will be very over at that point considering all of his weaknesses and age. The man can't even be trusted to run an incumbent campaign. And then, we will likely have a two-term Republican president until at least 2032.

A continuing Trump presidency, however, will push Democratic voters to vote in an overwhelming amount of Democrats into power in 2024, guaranteeing a majority in the House, Senate, and of course the Presidency, thereby giving them the opportunity to pass some actual policy. Some actual change - imagine that. Think what happened to Obama in 2012 and 2016, but for Republicans. They got a lot of power, momentum, and eventually a majority, even with crazy Trump. Or, you could just imagine a 2008 Obama Presidency, with a real supermajority.

You'll also have a refreshed group of 2024 Democratic candidates who are poised and ready to battle the Republican candidates. Those Republican candidates will have Trump tied around their neck - making it easier to defeat a Nikki Haley or Sasse or whomever. Oh, and if you want to get really angry, if we have Biden as President, that increases the likelihood that the first woman to become president will be a woman: Nikki Haley. Imagine how that would blow up the Democratic narrative for women.

The downside of this strategy is Trump likely getting another conservative or two on the Supreme Court. The neutral side to this is that there are already 9 Supreme court justices, and 5 are already conservative, so it's not like it isn't stacked in their favor. But, you have to see it this way: control of two out of three branches of government so you can pass progressive policy, OR two supreme court justices which represent only one branch of government (and generally, but not always, a non-activist one, in comparison to the Executive and Legislative branch). But yeah, that's a huge downside.

The other downside is that Trump will bring chaos for the next four years and who knows what he might do. This is a pure risky trade-off.

Once again, this is for passing legislation that could actually make a difference, not just "winning." If winning is all you care about...well...this is still a good strategy.

Anyone want to counter this?
Bernie will face a center right republican who will sweep in 2024.

You're not remotely being honest about whats happening.

Sanders will face the most backlash you have ever seen in your life.

Althalucian

All Star
Daps
Bernie will face a center right republican who will sweep in 2024.

You're not remotely being honest about whats happening.

Sanders will face the most backlash you have ever seen in your life.

I'm not talking about Sanders, or Warren, or Pete, or whomever. I'm talking about the political reality of Biden. Think ahead for a minute.

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
At this point I think some people *want* Biden to lose to Trump because of what that’d do to their assumptions about winning politics :francis:

If Biden wins in November I can see Greenwald, Grim, Tracey etc be more devastated than Trump actually getting re-elected.
Never having to see another Krystal Ball post in HL. This is one of the benefits of a Biden victory. :blessed:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I'm not talking about Sanders, or Warren, or Pete, or whomever. I'm talking about the political reality of Biden. Think ahead for a minute.
Regardless of the identical age of both Biden and Sanders, if either run for reelection (Hint: Biden probably wont) Sanders will absolutely lose more in the midterms than Biden will and wont even be viable for a second term politically, physical health withstanding

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Never having to see another Krystal Ball post in HL. This is one of the benefits of a Biden victory. :blessed:

Theres so many Warren fans who were secretly wishing for her success that to see the outpouring is truly shocking. Everyone loved her but the threat of Trump caused them to not take the risk

Ezra lowkey hates Sanders :heh:

Althalucian

All Star
Daps
Regardless of the identical age of both Biden and Sanders, if either run for reelection (Hint: Biden probably wont) Sanders will absolutely lose more in the midterms than Biden will and wont even be viable for a second term politically, physical health withstanding

I can't for the life of me understand why you are mentioning Bernie. I'm not advocating that because it would be bad for Biden we should have Sanders. Believe it or not...I think Democrats...might need to lose this election to win bigger and more important elections later. That's my point. Even Bernie.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I can't for the life of me understand why you are mentioning Bernie. I'm not advocating that because it would be bad for Biden we should have Sanders. Believe it or not...I think Democrats...might need to lose this election to win bigger and more important elections later. That's my point. Even Bernie.
No one is president for ever. Whats the point of this exercise?