No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
:what: no where in my posts did i do this...
You’re arguing just to argue right now. I’m pretty clearly referring to at a local level and that is what you’re basically arguing and no one knows why. It was a direct response to state actors and worked in concert with them . No one is supporting it but you’re being disingenuous.

A.R.$

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The crime bill was a terrible idea in retrospect, but at the time it was popular and a large majority of Dems voted for it.

Since there no candidate in the race that was actually in Congress at the time and voted against it, I'm not sure it's a meaningful litmus test at this point. You either have people that voted for it or that say they wouldn't have but weren't around.
This doesn’t make a difference imo. The majority of people supported The Iraq War at the time, and the majority of Dems voted for it. Politicians that supported the crime bill should be held accountable. Biden was still defending this piece of shyt legislation until recently. Bernie has been apologetic, but in a way his vote might even be worse. Bernie predicted the mass incarceration that this bill would cause, but voted for it anyways because of the Violence Against Women Act. With that said, I think Bernie is genuine about his regrets. I don’t think Biden cares at all.

There was a way to provide more resources without locking people up for petty crimes.

Last edited:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
You’re arguing just to argue right now. I’m pretty clearly referring to at a local level and that is what you’re basically arguing and no one knows why. It was a direct response to state actors and worked in concert with them . No one is supporting it but you’re being disingenuous.
don't even know what you're trying to say here...but cool

giphy.gif

Berniewood Hogan

IT'S BERNIE SANDERS WITH A STEEL CHAIR!
Daps
Reppin
nWg
Bernie is genuine
This is the main thing. We FINALLY have a major politician that everybody agrees is GENUINE. You may disagree with his ideas, you may not be willing to forgive his mistakes, but he's GENUINE.

And people can see this. It's why he will win.

A.R.$

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
People have to get past this 94 crime bill issue. If you were not around that time, you would never understand how violent the 90s were and how much people were calling for the government to do something.
I just want to be clear, I’m not supporting the bill. I’m just giving context to how the bill was passed and the support it had in the black community.

People were calling for more police and tougher sentencing for drug gangs that were tearing the black community apart with violence.

I don’t know how old you are, but Im in my 40s and trust when I tell you those times were legit scary and dangerous. There were a lot of sociopaths and psychopaths victimizing the black community and they needed to be taken off the street. Look up some of the more famous criminals like Preacher, Monster Kody, Wayne Perry, Alpo etc. These were not good guys and it was to the benefit of the black community to have them off the street.

Now, the comparison with opioids is true but only to a certain extent. Opioid epidemic doesn’t have my where close to the violence of the crack epidemic.

My solution would have been to decriminalize drugs and avoid “the war on drugs” completely.
I was born in 1984 so I remember the 90s clear. I grew up in the hood so I know how crazy it was. Some of my earliest memories are gun shots. Crack impacted my immediate family. The house I was living in got broken into twice by a family member that was strung out. That lead to us getting bars on our windows, and a bunch of other crazy shyt that I’m not going to get into. Point is I saw a lot of crazy shyt, and the crime bill is still unacceptable. There was a way to address crime, and the crack epidemic without enacting policies like 3 strikes. They enacted these policies without giving poor Black communities any type of significant resource to prevent young Black men from getting in the drug game. The crime bill is inexcusable, no matter who supported it at the time. That includes Biden, Bernie, the CBC, and activists.

Last edited:

A.R.$

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
This is the main thing. We FINALLY have a major politician that everybody agrees is GENUINE. You may disagree with his ideas, you may not be willing to forgive his mistakes, but he's GENUINE.

And people can see this. It's why he will win.
I actually agree with this. I won’t give Bernie a pass on the Crime Bill, but I could support him him going forward. Bernie have announced some pretty good criminal justice reforms. I would still like to see him and other candidates zero in more specifically on police reform. However, we at least have a starting point. I also believe we can push Bernie further left on this issues as well.

I have zero confidence Biden would fight for any type of significant reform. He was still defending the crime bill not that long ago. If Congress pass the legislation Biden would probably sign it, but I can’t see him pushing for anything that is robust. He is too close to the police unions.

BTW it is still team Liz:birdman:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I was born in 1984 so I remember the 90s clear. I grew up in the hood so I know how crazy it was. Some of my earliest memories are gun shots. Crack impacted my immediate family. The house I was living in got broken into twice by a family member that was strung out. That lead to us getting bars on our windows, and a bunch of other crazy shyt that I’m not going to get into. Point is I saw a lot of crazy shyt, and the crime bill is still unacceptable. There was a way to address crime, and the crack epidemic without enacting policies like 3 strikes. They enacted these policies without giving poor Black communities any type of significant resource to prevent young Black men from getting in the drug game. The crime bill is
inexcusable, no matter who supported it at the time. That includes Biden, Bernie, the CBC, and activists.
Yea man, if the crime bill was in a vacuum, maybe I could give the hindsight pass, but like I said, and has been well documented, the US been using law/criminal punishment to decimate the black community ever since slavery was abolished. I can't give nothing about that bill a pass with US's history on black crime and punishment.