2016 was the worst summer movie season since......

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
it's really good. most of the "kid" movies are nowadays... although Pets looks like shyt to me. I don't like that Despicable Me studio too much

i heard pets is like a looney tunes movie so i want to see it on the strength of that alone.

oh and i don't know if you peeped what I meant but I was saying that as good as civil war is, it's not on zootopia's level. I didn't mean that i wasn't seeing it lol.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
it's really good. most of the "kid" movies are nowadays... although Pets looks like shyt to me. I don't like that Despicable Me studio too much
Secret Life of Pets started off well but it got pretty unwieldy once the pets left their apartments. Its basically Toy Story with dogs.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
i heard pets is like a looney tunes movie so i want to see it on the strength of that alone.

oh and i don't know if you peeped what I meant but I was saying that as good as civil war is, it's not on zootopia's level. I didn't mean that i wasn't seeing it lol.
ah got ya. my bad

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't get this point of view at all. Are you saying that before social media people didn't analyze or critical reflect on why they liked or didn't like a film? I mean I know a few people like that who can't really articulate why they like or don't like something, or don't like discussing it, but I can't really talk to them about movies because that kinda blatant discomfort with critical thinking baffles me.

no, i'm not saying people didnt analyze before social media...what i said was now people pretend to be professional critics when it comes to analyzing things...before, people would judge things, but they didnt go over things with a fine tooth comb like they were getting paid for it....specifically for movies: unless you were in the business and/or a hard core movie fan, the majority of people didnt care about editing, lighting of scenes, tone of the movie, budgets, etc...they cared about characters, acting, plot/story, and if they were entertained or not, that was about it...

Last edited:

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'll agree with you that the Internet is binary in that if its not the greatest thing ever then it's bad and a piece of crap. But I disagree that social media has made some new thing of people expressing themselves. Now you just get a chance to read it whether you want to or not. Fans have always discussed movies and analyzed their merits and faults.

since this is similar to what the previous guy said/asked, i'll just do a cliff notes response here...you can check out the other post i did for a more detailed one:

never said people didnt analyze before social media, just said they didnt analyze like they were professional critics/movie business execs like they do now...

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
since this is similar to what the previous guy said/asked, i'll just do a cliff notes response here...you can check out the other post i did for a more detailed one:

never said people didnt analyze before social media, just said they didnt analyze like they were professional critics/movie business execs like they do now...

But you're basing that on your historical evidence or just assuming? You're making that claim like this is some new phenomena and that it didn't happen in the 80s or 90s or early 2000s. There are thousands or millions of people who've been through film school who don't become filmmakers. they become writers or graphic designers or pr pros, etc. So by that logic, that means that more people can academically discuss film in the past 30 years than they could in the previous 30

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I'll agree with you that the Internet is binary in that if its not the greatest thing ever then it's bad and a piece of crap. But I disagree that social media has made some new thing of people expressing themselves. Now you just get a chance to read it whether you want to or not. Fans have always discussed movies and analyzed their merits and faults.

It is interesting, I think you're right on one because I do see more people dismissing movies as crap if they aren't masterpieces, but on the other hand, sometimes people really do feel that a movie is crap and if someone doesn't agree with their viewpoint, then they are dismissed as being a hater or overly critical.

no, i'm not saying people didnt analyze before social media...what i said was now people pretend to be professional critics when it comes to analyzing things...before, people would judge things, but they didnt go over things with a fine tooth comb like they were getting paid for it....specifically for movies: unless you were in the business and/or a hard core movie fan, the majority of people didnt care about editing, lighting of scenes, tone of the movie, budgets, etc...they cared about characters, acting, plot/story, and if they were entertained or not, that was about it...

Perhaps it's just that people are now more informed and have a language to describe why a movie felt off to them? You may be right though, maybe it's raising the stakes and changing how we look a movie.

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But you're basing that on your historical evidence or just assuming? You're making that claim like this is some new phenomena and that it didn't happen in the 80s or 90s or early 2000s. There are thousands or millions of people who've been through film school who don't become filmmakers. they become writers or graphic designers or pr pros, etc. So by that logic, that means that more people can academically discuss film in the past 30 years than they could in the previous 30

i'm basing it off interacting with people, what i've observed, etc...did this happen in the 80s, 90s, etc?...yes, but not to this extent....then it was the minority....but because of the social media boom, it feels that minority has turned into the majority...so instead of judging things as casuals, it feels people express their opinions like they're experts/professionals.....doesnt matter if they went to school for that or not...speaking of which: just cause you went to school for it, doesnt mean you're a professional for it, unless you are getting paid to do that....

dont get it misconstrued: there is nothing wrong with talking about things in depth, but the extent some people take this, come on man....it's like they auditioning for a job or something...

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Film as a whole has been :flabbynsick: this entire decade:mjlol:. Tv has been kicking their ass since at least 2011.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
i'm basing it off interacting with people, what i've observed, etc...did this happen in the 80s, 90s, etc?...yes, but not to this extent....then it was the minority....but because of the social media boom, it feels that minority has turned into the majority...so instead of judging things as casuals, it feels people express their opinions like they're experts/professionals.....doesnt matter if they went to school for that or not...speaking of which: just cause you went to school for it, doesnt mean you're a professional for it, unless you are getting paid to do that....

dont get it misconstrued: there is nothing wrong with talking about things in depth, but the extent some people take this, come on man....it's like they auditioning for a job or something...

Some cats are auditioning for jobs lol which is the gift and the curse of the internet. If you can write and know how to communicate your opinion in an intelligible way in your own voice, there's a good chance you can get a job writing about something you love. Shyt, it happened to me, so I'm not mad at the next person for trying their hand.

Anyway, I get where you're coming from but I also don't believe there's anything wrong with using your brain to discuss movies, especially on a board that was started specifically for that very thing. We all acknowledge that there are flicks made simply for popcorn but also don't turn a blind eye to their shortcomings. If you can talk that shyt and know how to back it up, then I'm all about that.

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Perhaps it's just that people are now more informed and have a language to describe why a movie felt off to them? You may be right though, maybe it's raising the stakes and changing how we look a movie.

people gaining the knowledge to be able to have in depth discusses about things, is a beautiful thing...that's not what i'm knocking/saying.....i'm saying that because it is easier to get your opinions/thoughts heard by others, think it's changed how people view/judge films...

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Some cats are auditioning for jobs lol which is the gift and the curse of the internet. If you can write and know how to communicate your opinion in an intelligible way in your own voice, there's a good chance you can get a job writing about something you love. Shyt, it happened to me, so I'm not mad at the next person for trying their hand.

Anyway, I get where you're coming from but I also don't believe there's anything wrong with using your brain to discuss movies, especially on a board that was started specifically for that very thing. We all acknowledge that there are flicks made simply for popcorn but also don't turn a blind eye to their shortcomings. If you can talk that shyt and know how to back it up, then I'm all about that.

lol that is true, some cats are....i'm not knocking people trying to do that...more power to them...

i'm right there with you: i feel if you can back that shyt up you talking, then talk that shyt...and i have nothing against people gaining the knowledge/using their brains to discuss movies in depth...i enjoy that shyt...just saying because of the ease we can have these convos now, it feels like it's changed how people judge films...instead of looking at movies as part of the paying audience, people try to look at them through a professional lens only...not only that, it seems people only use a ricky bobby type grading scale: it's either 'greatest thing ever' or 'trash'.....