2016 was the worst summer movie season since......

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
May has been the start of the summer movie season since 1977 when Star Wars was released that month.

Usually it used to start around Memorial Day. But Studios have me confused as to when summer starts. The past few years the big release was in April and now BVS was in March. And now Fox seems to have slated February for their R rated comic book joints the past few years.

All i know is by the time August rolls around i'm fukking EXHAUSTED. Blockbuster fatigue

mrken12

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Maryland
That's what happens when movie studios get lazy and make unnecessary reboots and sequels. I hope the underwhelming box office sales send a message to Hollywood.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
True, but most reboots and sequels aren't as mediocre or uninspired as this year's crop.

There's often more factors to box office besides just "these are movies people don't want to see" especially when you have quality flicks in the bunch too. The nice guys flopped and it's one of the best movies this year.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
There's often more factors to box office besides just "these are movies people don't want to see" especially when you have quality flicks in the bunch too. The nice guys flopped and it's one of the best movies this year.
but there were about a half dozen sequels that no one was asking for. who wanted Alice through the looking glass or another Neighbors or Huntsman?

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
When was the year a bunch of blockbusters bombed at the box office and people started talking about how the model needed change? I remember even Spielberg talking about it. Was it 2014? I can't remember :francis:

Anyway, nothing really happened after that year so I doubt 2016 will make any difference :francis:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
but there were about a half dozen sequels that no one was asking for. who wanted Alice through the looking glass or another Neighbors or Huntsman?

I agree. It's the idea that just because something made money doesn't mean people want to see a sequel. But again, when you're used to money being the one factor, thats what happens

Daps
This year was aight. A lot of superhero films.

I don't recall there being any comedy films outside of the two films Kevin Hart starred in and that Ghostbusters film

Next year planet of the apes return. Summer `17 already better than summer `16 by default.:blessed:

• Dap
Reactions: HHR