2016 was the worst summer movie season since......

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
still wondering how this movie flopped.

That movie was too cleverly written for most folks. :manny:

That might sound snobbish as hell but we're living in a world where the extent of buddy comedies is some Kevin Hart shyt like Central Intelligence where one guy goes 'Hey, you used to do an awesome somersault! Do that again!':gladbron: and the other guy is like 'Yeah okay!' :russ:, jumps into the air and lands flat on his face... cue uncontrollable laughter.:mjlol:

:francis:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
lol that is true, some cats are....i'm not knocking people trying to do that...more power to them...

i'm right there with you: i feel if you can back that shyt up you talking, then talk that shyt...and i have nothing against people gaining the knowledge/using their brains to discuss movies in depth...i enjoy that shyt...just saying because of the ease we can have these convos now, it feels like it's changed how people judge films...instead of looking at movies as part of the paying audience, people try to look at them through a professional lens only...not only that, it seems people only use a ricky bobby type grading scale: it's either 'greatest thing ever' or 'trash'.....

Well that last thing you said the internet and its with everything. It's binary as hell and nuance doesn't exist

Bobhoward

Baseball Ready
Daps
It's been a decent year for indie stuff so far. I have 1 9/10 and a few 8/10s so far.

As far as summer blockbusters go.. I thought the Nice Guys was great and Star Trek Beyond was solid. Every other blockbuster I saw was average to bad. Not sure if its just me getting older and realizing most of these movies are the same recycled formula over and over again or if it really has just been a bad summer.

August is starting to heat up though. That new Mel Gibson movie was one of the best 80s style B movies I've seen come out in a long time. Hell or High Water is out this week or next depending on what market you're in.. that one also looks promising.

At some point we all gotta realize that we aren't the target audience for these mega-budget blockbusters anymore.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
It's been a decent year for indie stuff

At some point we all gotta realize that we aren't the target audience for these mega-budget blockbusters anymore.
I think you are right to an extent. But then you always read stats about how teens these days aren't going to the movies. I looked it up and Civil War was 51% over age 25 for opening weekend.

So who really is the target demographic? :patrice: :jbhmm:

I wish I would have seen more indies like Swiss Army Man and Hunt for the Wilderpeople in theaters.

Hell or High water might have been the last summer movie but it was the best in my book