1998 = The Most Underrated Year In Hip-Hop History

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
dog, Soul Food is arguably the best Dungeon Family album ever....Kast included....Still Standing is dope but can't even beat Stankonia.

Shammago

By Any Means
Daps
Reppin
Sun rises in the East
98 was underrated because of what came before it.

97 and the Puff Daddy shines suit era overshadowed alot of dope shyt that happened to come out. Cats was still recovering from the P Diddy era yo:takedat:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
big punisher was the best lyricist of that year i dare a nikka to debate that with me i dare you !

That's probably not up for debate. But you should check that Hiero album if you haven't done so already.

Mos and Kweli had some lyrical moments on their album too.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
i like third eye vision. but they started falling apart around that hiero emporium phase. beats were generic keyboard huff usually.

and i should be clear, it was on No Mans Land, post e 40, when souls of mischief started really going heavy with bay accents.

Agreed that the Hiero album after 3rd Eye Vision was forgettable.

And SOMs whole career was post E-40.

cornercommission2k12

so this were u dudes went
Daps
Reppin
300 murders a year
most underrated?

fukk that, it's the last really good year for hip-hop period.

shyt that one fold out issue of the source with the new school of hip-hop that had kurupt, 8ball, dmx, lord tariq and peter gunz, noreaga, canibus, cam'ron, big punisher, etc... damn near encapsulated that year. i think they gave gangstarr the obligatory 4 & 1/2 mics (i Usay obligatory because back then they were fronting on giving out 5 mics before they opened up the floodgates and started giving 5 mics like they were food stamps) in that issue too. you had the new school cats dropping dope debuts and older cats like gangstarr, outkast, tribe, etc dropping dope shyt still as well.

1996 was the peak of hip-hop IMO with it falling off a little in '97 and then a little more in '98 but '98 was the last great year for hip-hop, fukk anyone who says otherwise.

EDIT - here's that cover i found link to it.
6.jpg
Its crazy that you post that cover and all those guys had some significant relevance in hip hop for a moment and most of them went on to become plat selling artist with a nice 2-3 album run

Now a days they do a xxl freshmen addition and most the guys on the cover forgotten and not thought of again by time the next freshmen cover drops. No top singles most of them never see a major label release date and end up just dropping mixtapes forever

Crazy how shyt done changed

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
i like the Brand Nubian reunion album that year. BUT, even that record got butchered my sample clearances....the advance i had was pure piff.

I liked that record a lot. Thought it was a classic at the time. Never knew there was an advance with different beats...

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
1998 was the last great year in hip-hop. Even though the sound was changing, you still had that lyricism where people competed, before they just got all around lazy on the mic and let beats carry them, and there were still different styles and sounds. I think it was special because 1997 was really a trash year, so when it bounced back in '98, who knew that '97 would come back around and be the staple.

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
Heltah Skeltah dropped magnum force in 98 too

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TnCo3_iREE]Heltah Skeltah - I Ain't Havin That (Feat Starang Wondah & Doc) [Magnum Force] 1998 - YouTube[/ame]

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
but you never liked them all that much to begin with. not really shocking you're dismissive of them in 2013.

but on the flip, your heroes of 1998 are doing worse music currently if at all.

see how that works?

wayne is wayne. i know.

I was my own hero in 1998.:cape:

anyway, i'll put it like this: the only people I checked for in '98 that I still think make top-notch music(at least for this current weak era) are camron & the lox. and I wasn't into them like that in '98 so they prolly don't count.

master p seems to have made another resurgence. we'll see how long that lasts.

Its crazy that you post that cover and all those guys had some significant relevance in hip hop for a moment and most of them went on to become plat selling artist with a nice 2-3 album run

Now a days they do a xxl freshmen addition and most the guys on the cover forgotten and not thought of again by time the next freshmen cover drops. No top singles most of them never see a major label release date and end up just dropping mixtapes forever

Crazy how shyt done changed

the difference is that the source reflected what was actually going on, as opposed to XXL who selects most of their artists based on corny @$$ blog sites. and then they pull the rest of the picks out their @$$.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I was my own hero in 1998.:cape:

anyway, i'll put it like this: the only people I checked for in '98 that I still think make top-notch music(at least for this current weak era) are camron & the lox. and I wasn't into them like that in '98 so they prolly don't count.

master p seems to have made another resurgence. we'll see how long that lasts.

the difference is that the source reflected what was actually going on, as opposed to XXL who selects most of their artists based on corny @$$ blog sites. and then they pull the rest of the picks out their @$$.

Cam ain't done too much "top notch" music in the last five years.

I don't really follow the Lox too closely anymore.

Can't see how you would say the Wu is irrelevant in 2013 and point to Cam and the Lox as an example of relevance (if that's what you're doing - I'm not trying to put words in your mouth).

Steady B

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Yo NYC was crazy!! X was the man, Jay sold 5mil, Dj Clue's Monday night mixtape was poppin and everyone had their cassette tapes ready to make a pause tape lol!!! Nore was doing his thing, Belly the movie dropped with a ill ass soundtrack and if I'm correct, Nore, DMX and Canibis had that classic freestyle rhyme session!! Yo I miss those dayz man!

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Cam ain't done too much "top notch" music in the last five years.

I don't really follow the Lox too closely anymore.

Can't see how you would say the Wu is irrelevant in 2013 and point to Cam and the Lox as an example of relevance (if that's what you're doing - I'm not trying to put words in your mouth).

where were you when the BOAB series was poppin?

and the lox are still the lox.

cant say any of that for wutang. I only see them get mentioned when I turn on the computer.