1998 = The Most Underrated Year In Hip-Hop History

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
another wack factor of 1998 was how bad crews fell off. the Cocoa Brovaz album was all synthy and weird. Wu was in disaray. Hieroglyphics started rapping with heavy Bay accents. Nas was obviously on that firm bullshyt. Tribe was on some cornball shyt. EPMD had the halfhearted comeback record.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
another wack factor of 1998 was how bad crews fell off. the Cocoa Brovaz album was all synthy and weird. Wu was in disaray. Hieroglyphics started rapping with heavy Bay accents. Nas was obviously on that firm bullshyt. Tribe was on some cornball shyt. EPMD had the halfhearted comeback record.

That Hiero album was exceptional. Lyricism on the level of :blessed:

What song do you think the "heavy bay accent" was coming out on? And you talking everyone or just a few people?

Darts

Spittin' em
Daps
Underrated? :dwillhuh:

It was always regarded as a top notch year.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
There was some good albums...and even good albums that sold, but this was sort of the last hurrah for the "Golden Era". No Limit taking over was one of the worst things that ever happened. Made hip-hop way more into a disposable commodity than any "CAC/Jew executive". Like seriously, even Puffy at that point actually treated this shyt like an artform.

For me, the darkest period in hip-hop besides the Ja Rule/Murder Inc era

no limit had classics b.

just say you didn't like them and leave it at that.

and theres no such thing as a jarule/murder inc era.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Don't see how anybody can say 98 was garbage, especially comin off that jigyy 97 bullshyt. I was only in 7th grade back then but even I knew somethin was way off about the rap game that year. People like to blame the south for fukkin the hip hop up but what Puff was doing in 97 was the blueprint for the "i dont have to know how to rap..i got money" syndrome that's in the game today.

yea, they were the ones that make people wake up and say "something aint right". lol. I mean I have nothing against the music they were doing. I was rockin to most of it myself. they didn't actually make bad music.

its just that they did a lot of dirt. they were the 1st crew to really O.D. on the payola. then, add to the fact that theres stuff they did that obviously rubbed us the wrong way as rap fans. and that's one thing, but when it gets shoved down our throats, its a problem.

I had a real like/dislike relationship with bad boy.

No Limit was garbage, unoriginal and cookie cutter shyt.

to each his own, but all that other stuff in the previous post was mad extra. especially considering that no limit was independent and really wasn't even on tv all like that. they were actually avoidable. that's why their run is :king:. theres really no reason to be extra negative about them unless you were just mad. lol.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
That Hiero album was exceptional. Lyricism on the level of :blessed:

What song do you think the "heavy bay accent" was coming out on? And you talking everyone or just a few people?

i like third eye vision. but they started falling apart around that hiero emporium phase. beats were generic keyboard huff usually.

and i should be clear, it was on No Mans Land, post e 40, when souls of mischief started really going heavy with bay accents.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
i remember all these albums came out same day:

Hard Knock Life
Aquemini
Black Star
The Love Movement
Brand Nubian - Foundation

and all them shyts except Aquemini were spotty.