1998 = The Most Underrated Year In Hip-Hop History

Dead End

Rican B*stard
Daps
Reppin
NW Chicago
to each his own, but all that other stuff in the previous post was mad extra. especially considering that no limit was independent and really wasn't even on tv all like that. they were actually avoidable. that's why their run is :king:. theres really no reason to be extra negative about them unless you were just mad. lol.

They were actually kind of hard to avoid. I'm not sure about MTV and BET because I didn't have cable then, but they were pumping out an album every 2 weeks. Many of those went gold or platinum. Almost everyone I knew, even in the country, was playing their stuff.

Anyway, I sort of couldn't stand them because they filled the void that Death Row left by taking the worse Southern artists and stealing a lot of West Coast ideas. I'm not sure if people remember, but they did a lot of biting back then. shyt like that isn't really called out as much anymore and part of the reason is because No Limit went all in with it.

They also cheapened and pushed the quality down for Southern and country hip-hop, while making it a standard for labels to put albums out like assembly lines...quantity over quality.

Whoever mentioned Puffy being worse, I'm not sure. I do agree that No Limit and what they did was the logical next move after Puffy.

you dont even know their shyt so stfu you ignorant hick

If I didn't know their shyt I wouldn't have commented, breh

DoomzdayzV

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
OP talking about the Lox is still relevant. haha what the fukk.

and Mystikal was the only artist on No Limit worth a damn. good fukkin lord it was some trash on that label.

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
One of the most underrated albums from that year was 40 Dayz and 40 Nights by Xzibit. The record is a great record no one talks about.

edit: And that C Murder Life Or Death album was one of the 5 best that year, seriously.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
from the top of the year where we were still feeling the effects of '97. bad boy, bone thugs, wutang, etc. no limit snatches the crown from bad boy as the new royal family of hip-hop. eat your hearts out east coast. LL's 4,3,2,1 video with method man, redman & DMX hits the tube and introduces DMX to the masses. I could go on & on. meanwhile, on the r&b tip, i discover destinys child's "no no no part 2" video. my 1st thought is "wheres part 1". my 2nd thought is that theyre the next big thing even tho nobody is talking about them yet.

by the time the weather breaks, no limit is on a rampage droppin an album every 2 weeks, including the "i got the hook-up" soundtrack & movie. plus, theres like 4 other urban movies in theaters, all with dope soundtracks. one thing i notice is that despite "volume 1" being considered a sophomore slump, jay's career is progressing on def jam, he easily outsold "reasonable doubt", performed at mtv's spring break, and "streets is watching" was a success and he was droppin heat on other soundtracks with bleek and sauce money........then comes the feature on Jermaine dupri's huge record. also, on spring break is destinys child. they sure as hell blew up. and it seemed like they dropped part 1 AFTER part 2. i never got to the bottom of that. speaking of blowing up, theres a whole slew of artists about to blow in a major way. i didn't notice, but we were witnessing the changing of the guard right before our eyes. dmx, lox, big pun, noreaga, camron, etc etc were droppin in may/june/july. it was an overload. oh, and 3-6 mafia's "tear da club up" was strong on BET. i was watching their rise via the internet before the world domination album dropped in '97.

one name i left out purposely was cannibus. the remix video to 4,3,2,1 had dropped in the winter with cannibus' verse, along with master p. by spring-time, the beef with LL boils over. then cannibus takes the world by storm with "2nd round knockout" and had mike Tyson in the video. then LL responded with "the ripper strikes back" and this battle was looking goat-like. wyclef came correct with his diss record as well. he was out of his league but he dropped a hot one. then LL dropped "rasta imposta" and deaded that. im not exactly sure when that joint dropped but he chitted on the whole fugees crew.

i could go on but again, just trying to keep it short. sorry if i rambled but this is fresh on the brain right now and im feelin it.
u are not alone

phatphuck

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
it aint underrated, just one of the last good years

you had heat on the radio like pun nore dmx, rawkus held it down for the underground, and the south was beginning to emerge

there was still some garbage, like the snoop album which i was not too happy with

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
'I Got The Hook Up' was 1997 right? I had that soundtrack too....oh, Ice Cube and the double album..? Or was that 99?

I got the hook-up was '98.

I think cube dropped the war disc in '98 and the peace disc in '99.

and I know for sure that the player's club soundtrack :noah:was '98. came out at the same time as "I got the hook-up" and "ride".

They were actually kind of hard to avoid. I'm not sure about MTV and BET because I didn't have cable then, but they were pumping out an album every 2 weeks. Many of those went gold or platinum. Almost everyone I knew, even in the country, was playing their stuff.

Anyway, I sort of couldn't stand them because they filled the void that Death Row left by taking the worse Southern artists and stealing a lot of West Coast ideas. I'm not sure if people remember, but they did a lot of biting back then. shyt like that isn't really called out as much anymore and part of the reason is because No Limit went all in with it.

They also cheapened and pushed the quality down for Southern and country hip-hop, while making it a standard for labels to put albums out like assembly lines...quantity over quality.

Whoever mentioned Puffy being worse, I'm not sure. I do agree that No Limit and what they did was the logical next move after Puffy.

If I didn't know their shyt I wouldn't have commented, breh

again, it sounds like you were just mad that they were popular.

yes, they were hard to avoid because they were popular. you cant get mad at organics. you just gotta fallback and respect it. but instead youre up here blaming them for chit. they weren't shoved down your throat or anything. they were basically dipset, but on steroids. I could see if they were one of those crews that were "ALLLLLL IN THE VIDEO" but they weren't. which is why youre coming off as a hater, which is a word that I don't randomly throw around if it doesn't apply.

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
Nah. Jay and DMX were kings of that year.

Honestly 2000 is more underrated to be honest. Mad classics came out that year that not many recognize.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
1998, fukking sucked!

First off the year was spotty as fukk.
If you did not know what hiphopsite.com was.
it made it even worse.

BEst thing about 98 was the slim shady ep on cd.
Of which,..
Nuffin was fukking with that or his guest appearances and numerous outclassing of talent sonnings.

98, outside of that was pretty much a delayed pun.
The greatness of mos def.
Who had twelve inch single of the year in universal magnetic in 97.
Plus, the black star vinyl magazine pullout and blackstar release.

Bait and switch, from Lauren hill.
Plus, bunch of wack sellout inferior albums.
By Pac biters or nikkas who was scared of Pac.
Or even worse,.....
Dj/producers trying to rap who can't, named Pete rock
Then given a pass for that bullshyt.
By Everyone but me.
Personally, I list that album as one of the reason why nikkas is so Wack and given passes, now.

98, was basura!
Not to mention,...
The culture was still in disarray.
Leaving you, with how to figure it out.
Amidst a bunch of regular culture thief ass rap fans.
Who bought in and did not and still do not give a fukk about the culture.
Yet, wanna look, dress to being reared by the culture.

Art Barr

JCalli

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Im not sure if this album has been touched on in this thread, but Hieroglyphics 3rd eye vision was my sh*t in 1998, which is criminally slept on.

Props to who mentioned Retaliation, Revenge and Getback, that album is classic to me.

EDIT: I see Hiero been given props in the thread