1998 = The Most Underrated Year In Hip-Hop History

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
another wack factor of 1998 was how bad crews fell off. the Cocoa Brovaz album was all synthy and weird. Wu was in disaray. Hieroglyphics started rapping with heavy Bay accents. Nas was obviously on that firm bullshyt. Tribe was on some cornball shyt. EPMD had the halfhearted comeback record.

a lot of these artists were washed tho. what did you expect?

but you didn't like the cocoa brovaz? I mean, I never heard the entire album but they had JOINTS.

Last edited:

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
that album was like a smack to my face even though i ended up kinda liking some joints. Even the album covers were depressing on some east coast, low budget no limit minus the paper type shyt....

and those artists weren't so much "washed" as they were just...playing by 1998's standard of weirdness.

think about it...they all make pretty good music RIGHT NOW.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
that album was like a smack to my face even though i ended up kinda liking some joints. Even the album covers were depressing on some east coast, low budget no limit minus the paper type shyt....

and those artists weren't so much "washed" as they were just...playing by 1998's standard of weirdness.

think about it...they all make pretty good music RIGHT NOW.

who still makes good music?

Techniec

Drugs and Kalashnikovs
Daps
Reppin
W/S 416
98 was wack at the time to me but in retrospect it was great consdering the shyt since

But remember the nxt year (99) gave us 2001 and street is a mutha

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
who still makes good music?

:pachaha:

i'll feed the troll if you'd like:

Wu's doing well currently. Particularly Raekwon. Even Killah Priest & Deck made piff this year. And Ghost is Ghost. Rza is Rza. Baby U in the cut :jawalrus:

Hiero: I fukk with the Pep Love & Opio album. I fukked with Casual & J. Rawls album last year. Del will always be nice to me.

Q-Tip has arguably the best beat on my favorite record last year (Roc Maciano)

Duck Down is like a little mecca for underground stuff thanks mostly to Sean Price's second act and Dru Ha & Buckshot's acumen

I'd still like an Erick Sermon beat any day of the week too.

Daps
Reppin
Capsule Corp
:stopitslime:
Confessionsoffire.jpg

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
:pachaha:

i'll feed the troll if you'd like:

Wu's doing well currently. Particularly Raekwon. Even Killah Priest & Deck made piff this year. And Ghost is Ghost. Rza is Rza. Baby U in the cut :jawalrus:

Hiero: I fukk with the Pep Love & Opio album. I fukked with Casual & J. Rawls album last year. Del will always be nice to me.

Q-Tip has arguably the best beat on my favorite record last year (Roc Maciano)

Duck Down is like a little mecca for underground stuff thanks mostly to Sean Price's second act and Dru Ha & Buckshot's acumen

I'd still like an Erick Sermon beat any day of the week too.

with the exception of hiero(because I don't know much about and didn't even know they were still around) trhese dudes are washed.

im not saying that theyre completely done or anything. like they may make some okay music still, but theyre not doing anything spectacular.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
but you never liked them all that much to begin with. not really shocking you're dismissive of them in 2013.

but on the flip, your heroes of 1998 are doing worse music currently if at all.

see how that works?

wayne is wayne. i know.

The_Hillsta

Neva missin a beat
Daps
Rhythmalism.....Played the sh1t out that album in the ride on the way to house parties and clubs. Great album to get your pre fonk on to :dj2:

1998??? Aside from the ones already mentioned, my off the dome rotation

I fuxed widit all, 98 was good to me :manny:

Last edited by a moderator: