1993 = The Overall Best Year For Modern Urban Music

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Aight... now you just told me about what is and isn't a summer single right? Well I have a VERY good memory, and in an ironic twist, a lotta these shyts you named ain't from the summer of '93 either. And on top of that, you got some lame shyt up in that list bruh. "Boom Shake The Room", really? :russ:

"Dre Day"- spring.
"Black Cop"- spring.
"Ruffneck"- pffffffft... surely, "Elevators" and "Po Pimp" trump that shyt, my nikka.
"Da Bomb"- shyt was weak.
I guess if you go for that "Daisy Dukes"/"Whoop There It Is" type shyt, it's cool
"Come Baby Come"... :russ:
"Boom Shake The Room"... :russ:
"What's Up Doc"... :snoop:
"Cowards In Compton"... nobody gives a shyt about this record homie.
"Stay Real"... fall
"Deeper" by Boss... spring
"It Was A Good Day"... winter/spring.
"Here We Go Again"... fall '92.
"Something's Going On"... fall.
"Comforter"... spring.
"Weak"... spring.
"I'm So Alone"... early '93, quite possibly late '92.
"Will U Be There"... the fukkin' Free Willy song, yo? :russ:

...and where on earth are all them slow jams "summer bangers"? I mean I guess they "banged" somewhere, but...

'93 was light a muhfukka man... in comparison to that '96 shyt? No way was that summer even in the ballpark. There was definitely some heavy hitters in there, but that shyt ain't devastating at all.

i stated in the beginning that if you were gonna stretch '96, im gonna stretch '93 in the same vein. and I also apologized ahead of time for the ones that I may have accidentally labeled as summer joints.

ruffneck goes in the same boat as "po pimp" & "elevators". yet, ruffneck isn't on the frontline for '93, which basically proves my point of how much better '93 was.

"dre day" got played all thru the summer of '93 and came out closer to the summer than some of those '96 joints you listed. it dropped in like mid-may or something. that's basically right in time for memorial day. cmon dog. I didn't even have to reach for that. that's a summer joint all day.

"stay real" is on one of my summer '93 tapes. maybe it dropped at the end of the summer, im not sure. but again, if you want to stretch......than it stays.

UNV - "somethings going on". that banged all summer.

"weak" ran into the summer kinda deep. again, an easy stretch pick.

I liked the free willy song.:manny:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
SHOCKINGLY, BRAND NUBIAN HAS YET TO BE MENTIONED:

THIS YEAR IS DEEP!!!!!

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
I hated most of the eastcoast rap from this era...shyt was cartoonish and has aged horribly....

:pacspit: @ Hi Tek boots and Cross Colors

There is a reason Biggie and Nas get credited with bringing the East back in '94...

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I hated most of the eastcoast rap from this era...shyt was cartoonish and has aged horribly....

:pacspit: @ Hi Tek boots and Cross Colors

There is a reason Biggie and Nas get credited with bringing the East back in '94...

you hate the east coast period.

lol.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I got a few East coast nikkas in my top 10 all time though...

:manny:

And the R&B and westcoast music was great that year, so I don't totally disagree with the premise of this thread...

you have no choice seeing that theres barely any non-east coast rappers that deserve to be considered for the top 10.:pachaha:

yea, r&b and west coast music were my overall favorite brands of music at the time. but the east coast was GREAT as well.

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
you have no choice seeing that theres barely any non-east coast rappers that deserve to be considered for the top 10.:pachaha:

yea, r&b and west coast music were my overall favorite brands of music at the time. but the east coast was GREAT as well.
In '93 the Eastcoast was #2 to the West ...The West ruled 1993...

I wouldn't say they made great albums..They had some classic sh1t like Midnight Marauders and 36 Chambers but I wasn't with that cornball flippity flap, skoobie doo, rappidity rap bullsh1t...Westcoast n1ggas were spitting about the harsh realities of the streets and Eastcoast n1ggas were making references to Saturday morning cartoons and 70's sitcoms...

Fu Shickens, LOTNS, Lords of the Underground, ONYX were all corny to me...Especially when Onyx did that video with all the cacs slam dancing.. I was embarassed for New York at the time...

Das Efx and Naughty put out wack sophmore albums...Black Sheep was headed towards being irrelevant...I used to remember watching Rap City back in them days and everytime some Eastcoast sh1t came on I would turn the channel...If you listen to some of that music now it sounds even worse..Even the great sh1t like 36 Chambers is dated..

Plus that was the era that birth the White Hip Hop Back Packer with his Jansport and dirty azz New Balance's... It took years to get that scurge out of the element of the culture...

Fat Joe was trash btw....

The Roots were boring...

The Fugees were on their way to a debut flop because nobody cared...

And I can make a top 10 list of greatest emcees without listing any Eastcoast rappers...But thats because I'm a real n1gga that thinks for himself....

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
In '93 the Eastcoast was #2 to the West ...The West ruled 1993...

I wouldn't say they made great albums..They had some classic sh1t like Midnight Marauders and 36 Chambers but I wasn't with that cornball flippity flap, skoobie doo, rappidity rap bullsh1t...Westcoast n1ggas were spitting about the harsh realities of the streets and Eastcoast n1ggas were making references to Saturday morning cartoons and 70's sitcoms...

Fu Shickens, LOTNS, Lords of the Underground, ONYX were all corny to me...Especially when Onyx did that video with all the cacs slam dancing.. I was embarassed for New York at the time...

Das Efx and Naughty put out wack sophmore albums...Black Sheep was headed towards being irrelevant...I used to remember watching Rap City back in them days and everytime some Eastcoast sh1t came on I would turn the channel...If you listen to some of that music now it sounds even worse..Even the great sh1t like 36 Chambers is dated..

Plus that was the era that birth the White Hip Hop Back Packer with his Jansport and dirty azz New Balance's... It took years to get that scurge out of the element of the culture...

Fat Joe was trash btw....

The Roots were boring...

The Fugees were on their way to a debut flop because nobody cared...

And I can make a top 10 list of greatest emcees without listing any Eastcoast rappers...But thats because I'm a real n1gga that thinks for himself....

:wtf: @ most of this. wow. you got some deeply-rooted anger. im glad you let it out in here tho. I bring the best out of everybody.:whew:

really tho, you can list a top 10 without any east coast rappers? im not talking about a favorites list. im talking about a definititve top 10. I appreciate the fact that you think for yourself, but how the hell can you have a respectable top 10 without at least half of it being east coast? I don't see it. feel free to list it tho. please do. please. the floor is yours.

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
:wtf: @ most of this. wow. you got some deeply-rooted anger. im glad you let it out in here tho. I bring the best out of everybody.:whew:

really tho, you can list a top 10 without any east coast rappers? im not talking about a favorites list. im talking about a definititve top 10. I appreciate the fact that you think for yourself, but how the hell can you have a respectable top 10 without at least half of it being east coast? I don't see it. feel free to list it tho. please do. please. the floor is yours.
Respectable to who?

A bunch of Ivy League EASTCOAST CACS?

I'm a hood n1gga...

Gucci Mane>>>KRS-1

:smugfavre:

The_Hillsta

Neva missin a beat
Daps
Its really fukkin insane that the majority of the music dropped in this thread was being played in some capacity in ONE fukkin year. Can't believe I had most this shyt. Originals or dubbed. West to East and everything in fukkin between, gotdamn :damn::to:

Bruh, the homie from down the block used to come through with the lil radio bumpin in hand. Ole boi kept this shyt right here in the deck at all times, ended up dubbin it off him. This music shyt wasn't no joke, shyt was like a religion back then.

That World Is Yours and Till Death albums turned me on to this cat.....ALL IN THE SAME fukkIN YEAR :ohhh:

Aside from the shyt that EVERYBODY n they mamas was listening to, what was yall local/underground go to's? Man......Every young nikka was knockin this album right here. This cat dropped this shyt when he was 16.

The_Hillsta

Neva missin a beat
Daps
Another tape that got plenty roll that had me trippin. Album was speakin to a young nikka's soul.