1993 = The Overall Best Year For Modern Urban Music

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
BIG JOINT THATS BEEN SWEPT UNDER THE RUG & FORGOTTEN OVER TIME.

MC REN - SHOCK OF THE HOUR

Shock_of_the_hour.jpg

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
WHO REMEMBERS WHEN THE "E" IN ECW STOOD FOR EASTERN?

TAKIN YOU BACK.

WAY BACK INTO TIME!!!

sticker,375x360.u1.png

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
we were talking about '96 earlier in the thread too.

did yall realize that '96 had the weakest selection of summer bangers out of the '90s?

dry spots. yes.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
we were talking about '96 earlier in the thread too.

did yall realize that '96 had the weakest selection of summer bangers out of the '90s?

dry spots. yes.

More fiction, bruh.

I don't know what you were listening to that summer... Coolio's '1234' or somethin?...

But some of the biggest records that summer were the Get Money remix, How Do U Want It, If I Ruled The World, Ain't No nikka, Crossroads, Elevators, Po Pimp... and that's just the rap shyt. Weakest selection of all the 90s? Getthatshytattaheeeeere!

Also, '96 was the only year that the four elite MCs of their time (and many say of all time) ALL had relevant records out... chew on that shyt.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
More fiction, bruh.

I don't know what you were listening to that summer... Coolio's '1234' or somethin?...

But some of the biggest records that summer were the Get Money remix, How Do U Want It, If I Ruled The World, Ain't No nikka, Crossroads, Elevators, Po Pimp... and that's just the rap shyt. Weakest selection of all the 90s? Getthatshytattaheeeeere!

Also, '96 was the only year that the four elite MCs of their time (and many say of all time) ALL had relevant records out... chew on that shyt.

you should change your name to REACH!

get money remix had already come and gone before the summer.
elevators and po pimp were after the summer, and they weren't even frontline singles anyway.
crossroads and aint no nikka were still poppin in the summer, but they really dropped for the spring.

that just leaves 2 singles that you listed and 2 more with asterisks.

lol @ the last comment. who gives a f*ck? so because we've been programmed to think that pac, big, jay & nas are supposedly the mt rushmore of hip-hop, im supposed to get hyped because they all had at least one relevant single in '96?:whistle:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps

to me, this video kinda went hand-in-hand with "Brenda's got a baby" back in the day.

difference is this video got brushed under the rug as years went by, unfortunately.

diamond d looked like he wanted to get out the car and put sally over his knee. he looked kinda pissed. that's how I always saw it at least. lol.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
you should change your name to REACH!

get money remix had already come and gone before the summer.
elevators and po pimp were after the summer, and they weren't even frontline singles anyway.
crossroads and aint no nikka were still poppin in the summer, but they really dropped for the spring.

that just leaves 2 singles that you listed and 2 more with asterisks.

lol @ the last comment. who gives a f*ck? so because we've been programmed to think that pac, big, jay & nas are supposedly the mt rushmore of hip-hop, im supposed to get hyped because they all had at least one relevant single in '96?:whistle:

nikka, you'll come up with a million reasons to be "right"... but you're wrong breh.

Get Money remix was definitely still rockin' that summer. It dropped late spring.

Elevators propelled the fukkin' album... but wait, it's Outkast so I know you weren't gonna give that one any credit anyway.

Po Pimp was the summer homie.

And like I said, that's just the rap shyt. Then you got Touch Me Tease Me, Only You (especially the remix), Things U Do, the Kissing U remix, Twisted... maaannnnn shyt.

'93 was a good transitional year. It phased out a wave of artists and started introducing some new ones for the decade, fine. But '94 was even better than '93 in that aspect. And '96 was the culmination of everything that makes the 90s, the 90s. Do the knowledge, it's just the truth breh.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
nikka, you'll come up with a million reasons to be "right"... but you're wrong breh.

Get Money remix was definitely still rockin' that summer. It dropped late spring.

Elevators propelled the fukkin' album... but wait, it's Outkast so I know you weren't gonna give that one any credit anyway.

Po Pimp was the summer homie.

And like I said, that's just the rap shyt. Then you got Touch Me Tease Me, Only You (especially the remix), Things U Do, the Kissing U remix, Twisted... maaannnnn shyt.

'93 was a good transitional year. It phased out a wave of artists and started introducing some new ones for the decade, fine. But '94 was even better than '93 in that aspect. And '96 was the culmination of everything that makes the 90s, the 90s. Do the knowledge, it's just the truth breh.

I was still rockin my goose when get money remix was on the radio. I don't recall that chit still being around in the summer. not as a current single.

even if you count elevators & po pimp, those are really 2 of the main songs coming off your keyboard? classic songs but the fact that you put them at the forefront kinda proves my point. and for the record, I never discredited outkast. im just a realist.

touch me, tease me? man I remember case's 2nd joint hit the radio before school even let out. cmon man. if I list singles for the summer of 1993, or any summer in the '90s for that matter, '96 takes the L.

how was '94 a better transitional year? just asking.

the culmination of something isn't necessarily its finest moment. food for thought chap.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Wacky... look man...

Them shyts came out mad close to summertime. Are we only counting songs that didn't drop until after June 21st, 1996 or some shyt? All I know is that during school break, all them shyts were being heard wherever you'd go. Touch Me Tease Me was definitely summertime cause it was the lead single off the Nutty Prof. joint... Case's second single 'I Gotcha' wasn't until that fall. Elevators and Po Pimp might not have been the shyt around your way, fair enough, but different strokes. Then there's all the other ones I named... and some I'm probably forgetting at the moment... ain't a way in hell "every year of the '90s" trumps '96. '93 wasn't even that ill until towards the end, honestly... it started off hot, then got kinda light in the spring and didn't pick back up until the fall. Picked up HUGE in the fall, but it took the end of the year before it happened.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Wacky... look man...

Them shyts came out mad close to summertime. Are we only counting songs that didn't drop until after June 21st, 1996 or some shyt? All I know is that during school break, all them shyts were being heard wherever you'd go. Touch Me Tease Me was definitely summertime cause it was the lead single off the Nutty Prof. joint... Case's second single 'I Gotcha' wasn't until that fall. Elevators and Po Pimp might not have been the shyt around your way, fair enough, but different strokes. Then there's all the other ones I named... and some I'm probably forgetting at the moment... ain't a way in hell "every year of the '90s" trumps '96. '93 wasn't even that ill until towards the end, honestly... it started off hot, then got kinda light in the spring and didn't pick back up until the fall. Picked up HUGE in the fall, but it took the end of the year before it happened.

im saying. what do you consider and spring single? or a fall single? you even listing joints that came out before the spring hit. sure im a stickler, but listing stuff that got its last bit of burn at the beginning of the summer or its first bit of burn at the end of the summer is type tacky.

you may be right about the case joint tho. while I do remember lusting over foxy brown in that video while it was still frosty out, it was indeed one of those songs that just wouldn't die. same with crossroads to a larger extent.

elevators and po pimp are my chit actually. but those are amongst the first names that youre listing when trying compare that summer to '93? really? its different levels to this chit........and those are still fall singles if you want to be real anyway.

and lol @ '93 being a weak summer. you crazy. I can list joints all day. it seriously blows '96 out the water:
this list is devastating:
onyx - slam
2pac - I get around
dr dre - dre day
luke - cowards in compton
ice cube - check yourself
lords of the underground - chief rocka
cypress hill - insane in the brain
krs-one - black cop
mc lyte - ruffneck
boss 1st jawn
smooth - you've been played
Illegal - we getz busy
kriss kross - the bomb
da youngsters - (forgot which joint was in the summer exactly)
tag team - whoop! there it is
duce - daisy dukes
naughty by nature - its on
ll cool j - backseat of my jeep
fat joe - flow joe
k7 - come baby come
eric sermon - stay real
jazzy jeff & fresh prince - boom! shake the room
heavy d & the boys - blue funk
fu-schnickens & Shaq - can we rock?

and if you want to be vague, then you gotta add:
ice cube - today was a good day
dr dre - let me ride

r&b:
h-town - knockin da boots
h-town - lick u up
silk - lose control
silk - girl u 4 me
swv - weak
swv - right here remix
swv - downtown
men at large - im so alone
jodeci - lately
jodeci - lately(live)
shai - comforter
shai - baby im yours
zhane - hey mr dj
BBD - something in your eyes
portrait - here we go again
robin s - show me love
UNV - somethings going on
intro - either "come inside" or "love thang"
jade - one woman
whitney Houston - run to you
bobby n whitney - something in common
mike jack - will you be there?
janet jack - if
janet jack - again
TLC - get it up
shanice - its for you
toni Braxton - another sad love song?(not sure if it was out yet)

i'll let you take a few of those off for vague-ness.

and if you want to be really vague:
r.kelly - sex me
joe - im in love
bobby brown - good enough
whitney Houston - im every woman

and lets not even get on all the reggae joints that were poppin. no need to even list those, seeing that the summer of '96 had like none.

Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
WHOS THE MAN had a popular soundtrack. nobody mentioned it yet.

I never heard it in full but it had a nice singles run.

one of my favorite mary videos right here:

ALSO:
THERE WAS THIS:

Last edited:

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
and lol @ '93 being a weak summer. you crazy. I can list joints all day. it seriously blows '96 out the water:
this list is devastating:
onyx - slam
2pac - I get around
dr dre - dre day
luke - cowards in compton
ice cube - check yourself
lords of the underground - chief rocka
cypress hill - insane in the brain
krs-one - black cop
mc lyte - ruffneck
boss 1st jawn
smooth - you've been played
Illegal - we getz busy
kriss kross - the bomb
da youngsters - (forgot which joint was in the summer exactly)
tag team - whoop! there it is
duce - daisy dukes
naughty by nature - its on
ll cool j - backseat of my jeep
fat joe - flow joe
k7 - come baby come
eric sermon - stay real
jazzy jeff & fresh prince - boom! shake the room
heavy d & the boys - blue funk
fu-schnickens & Shaq - can we rock?

and if you want to be vague, then you gotta add:
ice cube - today was a good day
dr dre - let me ride

r&b:
h-town - knockin da boots
h-town - lick u up
silk - lose control
silk - girl u 4 me
swv - weak
swv - right here remix
swv - downtown
men at large - im so alone
jodeci - lately
jodeci - lately(live)
shai - comforter
shai - baby im yours
zhane - hey mr dj
BBD - something in your eyes
portrait - here we go again
robin s - show me love
UNV - somethings going on
intro - either "come inside" or "love thang"
jade - one woman
whitney Houston - run to you
mike jack - will you be there?
janet jack - if
janet jack - again
TLC - get it up
shanice - its for you
toni Braxton - another sad love song?(not sure if it was out yet)

i'll let you take a few of those off for vague-ness.

and if you want to be really vague:
r.kelly - sex me
joe - im in love
bobby brown - good enough
whitney Houston - im every woman

and lets not even get on all the reggae joints that were poppin. no need to even list those, seeing that the summer of '96 had like none.

Aight... now you just told me about what is and isn't a summer single right? Well I have a VERY good memory, and in an ironic twist, a lotta these shyts you named ain't from the summer of '93 either. And on top of that, you got some lame shyt up in that list bruh. "Boom Shake The Room", really? :russ:

"Dre Day"- spring.
"Black Cop"- spring.
"Ruffneck"- pffffffft... surely, "Elevators" and "Po Pimp" trump that shyt, my nikka.
"Da Bomb"- shyt was weak.
I guess if you go for that "Daisy Dukes"/"Whoop There It Is" type shyt, it's cool
"Come Baby Come"... :russ:
"Boom Shake The Room"... :russ:
"What's Up Doc"... :snoop:
"Cowards In Compton"... nobody gives a shyt about this record homie.
"Stay Real"... fall
"Deeper" by Boss... spring
"It Was A Good Day"... winter/spring.
"Here We Go Again"... fall '92.
"Something's Going On"... fall.
"Comforter"... spring.
"Weak"... spring.
"I'm So Alone"... early '93, quite possibly late '92.
"Will U Be There"... the fukkin' Free Willy song, yo? :russ:

...and where on earth are all them slow jams "summer bangers"? I mean I guess they "banged" somewhere, but...

'93 was light a muhfukka man... in comparison to that '96 shyt? No way was that summer even in the ballpark. There was definitely some heavy hitters in there, but that shyt ain't devastating at all.