1993 = The Overall Best Year For Modern Urban Music

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
TEVIN CAMPBELL USED TO MAKE USHER RAYMOND LOOK LIKE A REJECT.
TEVIN WAS THE PRINCE OF R&B:king:

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Nah... 1996.

And the reason I give it to '96 is this:

It wasn't just the year that hip-hop and R&B officially took over pop culture IMO, it was also a year where there just about any style of the music was thriving. East Coast hip-hop was strong, West Coast hip-hop was strong, the South was gaining big momentum, hip-hop soul was still killin', but then you also had the Timbaland sound breaking out, AND 'neo-soul' making its presence. You had Death Row, Bad Boy, Wu Tang, No Limit, underground hip-hop was pumping out quality and hadn't become a geek haven yet, an underground-style artist could still get a major label shot, there was always a hot R&B remix coming out... never a dull moment. There was so much good shyt that year, it was easy to overlook some of it because there was too much to get thru... classic year thru and thruout.

Dettol

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah... 1996.

And the reason I give it to '96 is this:

It wasn't just the year that hip-hop and R&B officially took over pop culture IMO, it was also a year where there just about any style of the music was thriving. East Coast hip-hop was strong, West Coast hip-hop was strong, the South was gaining big momentum, hip-hop soul was still killin', but then you also had the Timbaland sound breaking out, AND 'neo-soul' making its presence. You had Death Row, Bad Boy, Wu Tang, No Limit, underground hip-hop was pumping out quality and hadn't become a geek haven yet, an underground-style artist could still get a major label shot, there was always a hot R&B remix coming out... never a dull moment. There was so much good shyt that year, it was easy to overlook some of it because there was too much to get thru... classic year thru and thruout.
^Good post!

1996 is arguably my fav and the best year followed by 1993 (very debatable one which the "best" year as arguments can be made for both side). my original post in this thread states this (for 1996).

1996 rnb albums were super dope. 2nd half of 1996 was crazy!! i remember it like yesterday. off the top in my collection i have:

tony toni tone-house of music
mint condition-definition of a band
total-total
svw-new beginning
ginuwine-100% ginuwine
donell jones-my heart
babyface-the day
keith sweat-keith sweat
aaliyah-one ina mill
toni braxton secrets
112-112
maxwell-urban hang suite
dru hill-dru hill
az yet- az yet
johnny gill-lets get the mood right
monifah-moods...
horace brown-horace brown
case-case
etc..

and various singles /albumsthat crossed over from 1995 or released 1996 like singles from r kelly, jodeci, d angelo, mariah after 7, silk, etc.

those are just off the top what its my collection, and there more. and then you have all hiphop like: iww, rd, atliens, all eyez on me, riding dirty, illadelph halflife, the score, stakes is high etc.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
haaaaaaah meteor man. I thought that shyt was hilarious. Not sure what the consensus was.

yea. I went to the theater to see that movie.

had like a million cameos.

ABC was rockin their dyed hair from the movie like before and/or after that chit came out.:laugh:

Last edited:

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
@Dettol
@DANJ!

meh. '96 had some real dry spots.

You a damn lie. And you were a kid.

Singles:
HIP-HOP: Crossroads, Get Money RMX, How Do U Want It/Hit Em Up, Po Pimp, Elevators, Hay, Dead Presidents, If I Ruled The World, No Time, Put It In Ya Mouth, Bow Down, Ready or Not, Woo-Hah, Leflah Leflaur, Hell On Earth, Dayz of Our Livez, Stakes Is High, Loungin', Renee, Gotta Get U Home, Paparazzi, Amerikaz Most Wanted, Daytona 500, Ain't No nikka, L.A., L.A., California Love... shyt could go on and on...

R&B: One In A Million, Down Low Pt. II, Don't Ever Wonder, Kissing You, Only You, Lady, Pony, Touch Me Tease Me, The Things You Do, Don't Let Go, Twisted, No Diggity, Knocks Me Off My Feet, What Kind Of Man Would I Be, No One Else, Let's Get Down, If Your Girl Only Knew, Use Your Heart, I Can't Sleep Baby, You, Tell Me, Hit Me Off, Come See Me, One For The Money... maaan shyt...

Albums:
HIP-HOP: All Eyez On Me, Hell On Earth, Reasonable Doubt, Ironman, 7 Day Theory, It Was Written, Bow Down, ATLiens, The Score, Illadelph, Hard Core, Stakes Is High, The Coming, Ridin' Dirty, Ice Cream Man, Nocturnal...

R&B: One In A Million, Total, Dru Hill, Another Level, The Bachelor, Urban Hang Suite, Definition of a Band, My Heart...

and those are just the joints that popped in my head. That's not even counting the numerous other remixes, mixtape joints, singles, etc. that were out... and joints that carried over from the end of '95. Dry spots? You must be talking about a specific week or some shyt, cause there wasn't ever a drought of good shyt coming out in '96. GTFOH

Last edited:

Dettol

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Singles:
HIP-HOP: Crossroads, Get Money RMX, How Do U Want It/Hit Em Up, Po Pimp, Elevators, Hay, Dead Presidents, If I Ruled The World, No Time, Put It In Ya Mouth, Bow Down, Ready or Not, Woo-Hah, Leflah Leflaur, Hell On Earth, Dayz of Our Livez, Stakes Is High, Loungin', Renee, Gotta Get U Home, Paparazzi, Amerikaz Most Wanted, Daytona 500, Ain't No nikka, L.A., L.A., California Love... shyt could go on and on...

R&B: One In A Million, Down Low Pt. II, Don't Ever Wonder, Kissing You, Only You, Lady, Pony, Touch Me Tease Me, The Things You Do, Don't Let Go, Twisted, No Diggity, Knocks Me Off My Feet, What Kind Of Man Would I Be, No One Else, Let's Get Down, If Your Girl Only Knew, Use Your Heart, I Can't Sleep Baby, You, Tell Me, Hit Me Off, Come See Me, One For The Money... maaan shyt...

Albums:
HIP-HOP: All Eyez On Me, Hell On Earth, Reasonable Doubt, Ironman, 7 Day Theory, It Was Written, Bow Down, ATLiens, The Score, Illadelph, Hard Core, Stakes Is High, The Coming, Ridin' Dirty, Ice Cream Man, Nocturnal...

R&B: One In A Million, Total, Dru Hill, Another Level, The Bachelor, Urban Hang Suite, Definition of a Band, My Heart...

and those are just the joints that popped in my head. That's not even counting the numerous other remixes, mixtape joints, singles, etc. that were out... and joints that carried over from the end of '95. Dry spots? You must be talking about a specific week or some shyt, cause there wasn't ever a drought of good shyt coming out in '96. GTFOH
Good post. And there is much more where that came from. 1996 was/is NO JOKE!

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps

homie, you ACT like a kid.

we in here chillin and here you go with the name-calling and foolery.

and what does my age have to do with anything? you not even thurl.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
You my dude but I cant cosign that one.
96 destroys 95....the only other year in the 90's that can compete with 1996 is 1993. 1992 was also a good year probably coming in 3rd place here.

I don't see it.

'96 better than '95? certainly not in hip-hop.

as far as '93 vs 96 goes: i'll give '96 the edge in rap albums and rap overall. but that's it. '93 was better for rap singles tho. and all-around better for r&b.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
yeah that Robin S cut.....you will never hear vocals of that caliber on a house record ever again. :ahh: matter of fact on any record ever again.

:obama:

yea, it deserves more mentions. I shouldn't have had to dig that far in the crates for it.

looking back, the video is literally gay as f*ck tho.:scusthov: