1993 = The Overall Best Year For Modern Urban Music

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Its really fukkin insane that the majority of the music dropped in this thread was being played in some capacity in ONE fukkin year. Can't believe I had most this shyt. Originals or dubbed. West to East and everything in fukkin between, gotdamn :damn::to:

yea, back then all this quality music dropping and all these different artists getting shine was basically standard chit. but looking back in hindsight, in comparison to the current era, its crazy how all this dropped in one year. nowadays, they just force the same 5-10 rappers down your throat. most of them aren't even good. and theres barely any albums dropping at all.

I made a thread towards the end of SOHH about how the game stayed fresh because there were an abundance of new artists dropping every year and some of these young dudes thought I was lying until I started listing them. I feel sorry for newer fans. nowadays, these award shows cant even round up enough nominees for "best new artist" awards anymore. its just sad.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Aside from the shyt that EVERYBODY n they mamas was listening to, what was yall local/underground go to's? Man......Every young nikka was knockin this album right here. This cat dropped this shyt when he was 16.

as for the local acts, I was big on the youngsters of course, with me being a hip-hop kid from philly.

one of the youngsters even used to try to holla at my cousin.:hmm: i used to be at her crib and in that hood ALOT back then and the youngsters were from around that way. and I personally didn't realize until a couple years later that jamal(of illegal) was from philly too(west philly, just like them, iirc). that's wassup, cuz jamal was the nicest out of all the kid rappers ever imo, with the exception of maybe shyheim.......im not counting grown-man rappers that were young like the hot boys.

plus the roots came out, and jazzy jeff & fresh prince had their last hits. zhane was kind of a philly duo.

as for the underground, I had yet to dip into the underground stuff, so hopefully somebody else from philly can back me up here. I think '93 was when ram squad(tommy hill) was hitting the scene, and they eventually took over philly. I think task force may have been about to come out too. hilltop hustlers were on their final run I think.

BUT I KNOW 100X WAS THE CHIT. I wasn't really up on them like that but I know they was the chit. shout out to rasheed Wallace, btw. he tried to take that 100x chit nationall years later.

and im not even sure if this chit was '93 but f*ck it.

Last edited:

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
i stated in the beginning that if you were gonna stretch '96, im gonna stretch '93 in the same vein. and I also apologized ahead of time for the ones that I may have accidentally labeled as summer joints.

ruffneck goes in the same boat as "po pimp" & "elevators". yet, ruffneck isn't on the frontline for '93, which basically proves my point of how much better '93 was.

"dre day" got played all thru the summer of '93 and came out closer to the summer than some of those '96 joints you listed. it dropped in like mid-may or something. that's basically right in time for memorial day. cmon dog. I didn't even have to reach for that. that's a summer joint all day.

"stay real" is on one of my summer '93 tapes. maybe it dropped at the end of the summer, im not sure. but again, if you want to stretch......than it stays.

UNV - "somethings going on". that banged all summer.

"weak" ran into the summer kinda deep. again, an easy stretch pick.

I liked the free willy song.:manny:

Ruffneck ain't on the frontline for '93 cause it was wack.

And of course you liked the Free Willy MJ joint... cause u were a kid. Fair enough.

But that other shyt like "Boom Shake The Room" n all that... man, stop it. You might as well drop the Raven Symone shyt in here too if you just gonna mention everything from '93, :russ:

And Gator might not be the biggest East Coast fan, but he speaks truth here... NY was VERY in need of a change of pace. They got back on point late in the year, but that first 9 months? Eh. About 70% of 'em were tryin' damn hard to recreate "Scenario" with them hooks and either sounding like Das EFX or Busta lyrically. That other 30% was great, but it's 30%. '93 for NY was pale in comparison to '92 and definitely couldn't fukk with '94. It was, as I said, a transitional period. You had the after effects of '92 for the first half, and then some of the music that defined the '94 rebound in that last few months. Cali was definitely topping them that year...

Scotch Hall

All Star
Daps
Reppin
#TSC and surgical shoes
we gon' turn this to the what are you listening to thread. i fully fukk with wacky d.

SOS Band - High Hopes

:lawd: my dude mel, wassup biscuits

u been to downtown l-b

u stay in long beach ? u ever been to fingerprints, u know of any good record store around? trying to find some can only find vip, most others closed. To get the real number of people she slept with you gotta multiply by ten, and then divide by 2.
(ex: ashley says she slept with only 5 men in the last three years, u then multyiply her answer by 10
5 x 10=50
then you proceed to divide by 2
50 ÷ 2 = 25.

you get 25 as the answer, we weren't asking for how many in the last three years, thats as way in which women throw someone off. its irrelevant)

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
I think the night i was posting in here i had just returned from downtown Long Beach. i was faded. i'm not all that familiar with the area but a good friend of mine is from there and he was giving me the scoop on how the LBC revival plan is underway. said they shoot CSI miami there and shyt.

DoomzdayzV

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL

And of course you liked the Free Willy MJ joint... cause u were a kid. Fair enough.

But that other shyt like "Boom Shake The Room" n all that... man, stop it. You might as well drop the Raven Symone shyt in here too if you just gonna mention everything from '93, :russ:

And Gator might not be the biggest East Coast fan, but he speaks truth here... NY was VERY in need of a change of pace. They got back on point late in the year, but that first 9 months? Eh. About 70% of 'em were tryin' damn hard to recreate "Scenario" with them hooks and either sounding like Das EFX or Busta lyrically. That other 30% was great, but it's 30%. '93 for NY was pale in comparison to '92 and definitely couldn't fukk with '94. It was, as I said, a transitional period. You had the after effects of '92 for the first half, and then some of the music that defined the '94 rebound in that last few months. Cali was definitely topping them that year...

yeah. Enta da Stage and Enter the Wu are probably the 2 most important east coast albums of the 90s. All that LONS-inspired goofball shyt was out the window once wu and buckshot came through

the rhyme king

truth.com
Daps
Reppin
i refuse to conform
yeah. Enta da Stage and Enter the Wu are probably the 2 most important east coast albums of the 90s. All that LONS-inspired goofball shyt was out the window once wu and buckshot came through

pac came out with his second album strictly 4 my nikkaz doggy style black moon and wu tang etc
tribe came out with their last great album krs-one return of the boom bap.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps

im not even arguing half of that. I already said that the west coast was running that year. and I already said that '93 was a transitional year as well. I just don't agree with the 70/30 stuff. we done posted way too much heat in here. and like half of it is east coast. also, while the west had the hottest chit, I think the east was a bit deeper with their roster.

ruffneck is still the chit. I have it on my MP3 player. that chit still go hard 20 years later.

nah. I was never big on the free willy song actually. I just thought it was an okay lil joint and I still do. its never was my jam or anything but I thought mike did a good job with that. it makes me feel like a dolphin freely roaming the sea. IT CAPTURES THE ESSENCE.:ohlawd:

now, "boom! shake the room" was definitely a song I liked as a kid. definitely an nba jam session type joint.

and you know me and raven dated back in '93. in my mind.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
a few months ago, i listened to "boom! shake the room" for probably the first time in like 20 years. that chit do sound lame. but it still gets me out of my seat. and when the song was done, i felt like either going to the basketball court or firing up the sega genesis.

so it still serves its purpose.:manny:

those cheesy keyboard & saxophone-esque sounds are still beloved in my book as well. makes me want to watch "wcw Saturday night" on TBS.

f**k it. i still like the song. and i still like K7 as well. yea i said it.:to:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
i know im forgetting somebody in this segment. wasn't it a group called "da family"?

its a shame how ABC went out. victims of merger politics. the stuff i heard from that 2nd joint sounds like a sophomore slump tho.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
WHEN THEY 1ST STARTED PLAYING THIS ON THE RADIO, I THOUGHT IT WAS A SPRITE COMMERCIAL.

:laff::laff: