12/9 DAZN PPV: Devin Haney vs Regis Prograis (WBC Jr Welterweight Title)

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio

Hearn Defends Decision To Place Haney-Prograis on Pay-Per-View: ‘It’s the Way To Make The Fight Happen’​

eddie-hearn%20(4)_1692117129.jpg

BY SEAN NAM
Published Wed Sep 27, 2023, 04:37 PM EDT
Promoter Eddie Hearn says the purse demands of both Regis Prograis and Devin Haney left no other option for him and his business partners but to put that alluring 140-pound title on pay-per-view, in effect putting the onus on consumers.
Earlier this week, Hearn's Matchroom Boxing officially announced that Haney (30-0, 15 KOs), the former undisputed lightweight champion, will be moving up to 140 to challenge WBC beltholder Prograis (29-1, 24 KOs) on Sat. 9 at Chase Center in San Francisco on DAZN, the streaming platform.
Haney, who lives and trains in Las Vegas, is a Bay Area native and will be fighting in his hometown for the first time as a professional. Prograis, of New Orleans, will be making the second defense of his WBC title.
While fans praised the match-up, many, at least on social media, objected to the fact that the fight would require viewers to dig deeper into their pockets. In addition to paying a monthly subscription to DAZN, fans will have to fork over a one-time fee to watch the fight. The pay-per-view cost has not yet been announced.
Hearn responded to concerns that fans were getting stiffed by explaining that the purses required by Haney and Prograis left DAZN no other alternative. Haney is coming off his first pay-per-view appearance (on ESPN) earlier this summer, when he defeated Vasiliy Lomachenko in a lightweight undisputed championship.
“It might be a sign of the times,” Hearn told Boxing Social. “The market and the purses that these guys are getting for the mega fights. You know, Devin Haney just boxed on pay-per-view against Lomachenko. He won that fight. He wants a lot of money. Regis wants a lot of money. It’s the way to make the fight happen.”
Fans’ frustrations are reasonable, even justified.
DAZN entered the American market in 2018 with the explicit intention to provide high-quality, pay-per-view level fights without actually putting them on the pay-per-view platform. The company, indeed, went so far as to run commercials that proclaimed the “death” of the pay-per-view model.
But the company had to backtrack on those bullish claims. They put on their first pay-per-view in the US last year, when Canelo Alvarez challenged Dmitry Bivol for Bivol’s WBA 175-pound title.
Hearn once insisted that DAZN would only resort to the pay-per-view option to stage “mega” fights, but it is not clear what constitutes a mega fight and if Haney-Prograis even fits that description. Neither fighter, for example, has proven himself to be a draw.
Nevertheless, Hearn has high financial hopes for Haney-Prograis.
“It’s our first pay-per-view in America that we’ve done outside of Canelo Alvarez,” Hearn continued. “So, we’ll see how it goes. I think it will do very well. The build-up will be very intense. The promo was off the charts and it’s going to be a big fight.
“I get people’s criticism. At the same time, it’s only pay-per-view in America, not in the UK, for UK subscribers. But it’s a big, big fight. The price will be announced soon for subscribers and I think they’re going to get great value for money.”

Champ_KW

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is make or break for Regis. He knows this fight is happening because his previous fight was very underwhelming and a subpar performance

3 weeks before his "very underwhelming and subpar performance"

This fight is happening because Devin sought out the man that was considered a killer at 140. No new narratives allowed.

Champ_KW

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Hearn Defends Decision To Place Haney-Prograis on Pay-Per-View: ‘It’s the Way To Make The Fight Happen’​

eddie-hearn%20(4)_1692117129.jpg

BY SEAN NAM
Published Wed Sep 27, 2023, 04:37 PM EDT
Promoter Eddie Hearn says the purse demands of both Regis Prograis and Devin Haney left no other option for him and his business partners but to put that alluring 140-pound title on pay-per-view, in effect putting the onus on consumers.
Earlier this week, Hearn's Matchroom Boxing officially announced that Haney (30-0, 15 KOs), the former undisputed lightweight champion, will be moving up to 140 to challenge WBC beltholder Prograis (29-1, 24 KOs) on Sat. 9 at Chase Center in San Francisco on DAZN, the streaming platform.
Haney, who lives and trains in Las Vegas, is a Bay Area native and will be fighting in his hometown for the first time as a professional. Prograis, of New Orleans, will be making the second defense of his WBC title.
While fans praised the match-up, many, at least on social media, objected to the fact that the fight would require viewers to dig deeper into their pockets. In addition to paying a monthly subscription to DAZN, fans will have to fork over a one-time fee to watch the fight. The pay-per-view cost has not yet been announced.
Hearn responded to concerns that fans were getting stiffed by explaining that the purses required by Haney and Prograis left DAZN no other alternative. Haney is coming off his first pay-per-view appearance (on ESPN) earlier this summer, when he defeated Vasiliy Lomachenko in a lightweight undisputed championship.
“It might be a sign of the times,” Hearn told Boxing Social. “The market and the purses that these guys are getting for the mega fights. You know, Devin Haney just boxed on pay-per-view against Lomachenko. He won that fight. He wants a lot of money. Regis wants a lot of money. It’s the way to make the fight happen.”
Fans’ frustrations are reasonable, even justified.
DAZN entered the American market in 2018 with the explicit intention to provide high-quality, pay-per-view level fights without actually putting them on the pay-per-view platform. The company, indeed, went so far as to run commercials that proclaimed the “death” of the pay-per-view model.
But the company had to backtrack on those bullish claims. They put on their first pay-per-view in the US last year, when Canelo Alvarez challenged Dmitry Bivol for Bivol’s WBA 175-pound title.
Hearn once insisted that DAZN would only resort to the pay-per-view option to stage “mega” fights, but it is not clear what constitutes a mega fight and if Haney-Prograis even fits that description. Neither fighter, for example, has proven himself to be a draw.
Nevertheless, Hearn has high financial hopes for Haney-Prograis.
“It’s our first pay-per-view in America that we’ve done outside of Canelo Alvarez,” Hearn continued. “So, we’ll see how it goes. I think it will do very well. The build-up will be very intense. The promo was off the charts and it’s going to be a big fight.
“I get people’s criticism. At the same time, it’s only pay-per-view in America, not in the UK, for UK subscribers. But it’s a big, big fight. The price will be announced soon for subscribers and I think they’re going to get great value for money.”
If nobody whined about Canelo vs GGG III being on PPV, then they can miss me with the hate for this fight being on PPV. One of the better fights of the year.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
If nobody whined about Canelo vs GGG III being on PPV, then they can miss me with the hate for this fight being on PPV. One of the better fights of the year.
i watched that on PPV so its whatever...my only concern is Eddie builds this card up with a good undercard and give it real promotion

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps

3 weeks before his "very underwhelming and subpar performance"

This fight is happening because Devin sought out the man that was considered a killer at 140. No new narratives allowed.

You leapfrogged in an illogical statement when my focus was on Regis and the overall point that a bad performance can lead to people thinking they can beat you (Like Canelo)

But since you took it there, why didn't Haney fight Shakur when Shakur activated his mandatory?

Champ_KW

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You leapfrogged in an illogical statement when my focus was on Regis and the overall point that a bad performance can lead to people thinking they can beat you (Like Canelo)

But since you took it there, why didn't Haney fight Shakur when Shakur activated his mandatory?
Unless Shakur wanted to only fight for one belt, I'm not sure why y'all keep running with this tired narrative. The WBC doesn't control the purse for the other 3 belts Devin has. So congrats, the WBC would've granted a different purse split for THEIR belt.....now what about the other ones? There's no way around Shakur fumbling away his opportunity by not taking 25% for ALL the belts. But....spin away.