10 Facts That Clear Up Confusion Around What Exactly Is an Arab

HalyeeyQaran

Rookie
Daps
Many African-Americans have to stop claiming other people and their histories. Be proud of who you are. No, you're not ancient Egyptians. No, you're not Arabs. Have some pride in your heritage.

OD-MELA

Pro
Daps
Reppin
If I believed in race, I would say swagnificent is an embarrassment to the black race. Seeing as race is of course socially constructed, I can only conclude swagnificent stands alone, epitomising in one thread everything wrong, downright stupid and historically naive about 'pro-black' internet SJW historians. Truly pathetic.

OD-MELA

Pro
Daps
Reppin
I don't care about who calls themselves an arab today. I'm actually one of those people who thinks its dumb for the Sudanese (eventhough they have more valid claims to being called arabs than almost anyone else) to call themselves Arab today. the term like jew has become basterized over the milenia and has been used as a tool to oppress black people.

my argument in this thread only pertains to the ORIGINAL ARABS. or those people who you even admit were dark skin. thats all. I don't care about modern arabs. Those cacs can sukk a dikk.
Wtf is an original Arab?

OD-MELA

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Dude said black Kurds and black Afghans...I mean, what more can be said after that.
LOL. It is actually amazing. KURDS and Arabs? Lmfao. Why are these fukking losers so desperate to claim anything and everything? WHAT fukking difference does it make?!?!

OD-MELA

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Can't speak for anyone else, but to me thread like this show me just how far Afrocentrist can progress deeper and deeper into illogcal delusions & cognitive dissonance in light of opposing(or lack of) evidence, because from the very beginning when you make a statement such as not just that some arabs are black-skinned, with no implications about race, but "the original arabs were black" you're committing at least one of two MAJOR logical fallacies, in the form of a theory of unfalsifiability, where there's actually no way we could possibly confirm or contradict the affirmed skin complexion of long dead people, from a vague unspecified time period in the past at that(None of the Afrocentrist here have even given us a specific time frame from which these "original black arabs" existed and when they disappeared nor a reasonable hypothesis as to why. All we know is that Afrocentrist believe they existed in some vague period long ago). Or it could be that you're asserting that the original arabs were apart of the "black race", as opposed to most of the arabs alive today who are apart of "non-black races", which then you'd still have all of the problems aforementioned, plus existential instantiation, where at the very core of your premise lies the presumption that "race" is a scientifically observable phenomenon, which is about as far away as anything could be from being "fact". In fact, the vast majority of modern day biologist or anthropologist worth their weight in salt don't use "race" as a parameter to describe human diversity, genetic or otherwise. So the conversation we should be having is not on whether or not the original arabs were apart of the "black race", but if the "black(or any) race" even exist outside of being a social construct.

Plus, I find it so ironic that you mention "scholarship", because I would like nothing more than for Afrocentrist to add some integrity in their statements by providing some proof in the form of credible, objective, scholarly, peer reviewed, citations instead of using the same old of fringe cult, self-published articles & blogs as well as yellow journalist publications such as "atlantablackstar". Or something even more ridiculous as using a depiction of Saladin(one that wasn't even contemporaneous to his life), a kurd, as evidence of "black arabs". smh It's quite clear Afrocentrist should be the LAST people to question other's scholarly integrity.
SANITY

OD-MELA

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Now, that I got that crap out of the way I can begin to address some valid points brought up here.

And keep in mind there are just about as many even earlier sources that distinguish "black people" from the norm of arab society or even describe themselves as "white" in from primeval arab literature. Thus I think it's a mistake to assert with certainty that the original Arabs were black in the wake of all the opposing evidence while only taking inspiration from that which helps to confirm the already held assumptions. Also, there are many different conventions for differentiating the different continental plates. Some of which would separate the Somalia plate from the African plate.

There's actually a number of proposed places for the Afro-Asiatic Urheimat(origin). One popular theory is of a Levant origin. So, we can't just auto-matically presume that the original Afro-Asiatic tongue came from Africa into Asia, when it could've very well came from Asia into Africa. There's no general consensus on this.

Now, if you want to have a conversation about whether or not there are natives of the Arabian peninsula are black skinned and probably descended from black-skinned ancestors, there's a lot more merit in favor of that notion, in my opinion based on the available evidence. Thus, one of the imperative things to do in this discussion would be to make the distinction between "Arabs" & "Arabians", because the two are not interchangeable, as not all Arabs are Arabians and not all Arabians are Arabs. Especially when you're speaking about the natives of Southern Arabia ie the people who speak Modern Southern Arabian languages, which are apart of the Southern Semetic language group, of which Arabic is not apart of. Arabic is apart of the Central Semetic language family, who origins lie in the Northern and Central part of the Arabian peninsula, and later spread south to the Southern part of the peninsula. So, if you're going to talk about the origins of Arabs who are by most definitions denoted by their native tongue being Arabic, then it's best to talk about them in the context of their lingustic origins in Northern & Central Arabia, not Southern Arabia. In the Qu'ran there's even mention of native Southern Arabian groups like the Sabeans.

2000px-Semitic_languages.svg.png

As, you can see from this lingustic map, the origins of both classical Arabic & Ancient North Arabic(sometimes called Ancient North Arabian) are outside of the tropical zone and geographically above the tropic of cancer, thus in the temperate zone. So no, the genesis of the Arabs would've not happened under "adaptation to a tropical climate". It's also worthy to note that the geographical origins of the Ancient North Arabic(the progenitor to Classical Arabic) is actually further in physical distance from the both the Old & Modern Southern Arabian languages would be, which would include the Mehri or Mahra speaking people, which you've shown in a couple of photos, from the Ethiopian Semitic languages. And not only that but the Southern Arabian languages are more linguistically related to the Ethiopian Semitic languages than they are to Arabic. So, no I don't think it would be a stretch to say that the original Southern Arabian people were probably pretty closely related to people in the Horn of Africa. This doesn't say anything about the original Arabs, though, who's language has much more in common with other Central Semetic languages such as Hebrew and Aramaic. The Arabic writing system is even derived from that of the Aramaized Nabataean script, not the Old Southern Arabian script: But the Ethiopian Ge'ez script is!

So, I have no problem considering the fact that the original Southern Arabians, in particular were probably very dark skinned, similar to people in the Horn of Africa. But, I just don't see how you could say that about the original Arabs who's linguistic origins lie in the Syrian desert in Northern Arabia, and most likely were closely related to other people in the fertile cresent such as early Hebrew and Aramaic speaking people, I mean unless you're going to try and say they were all black, as well.

But, Tippu Tip himself was not an Arab ethnically, but a Swahili, who are bantu speaking people who have historic ties with Arabs, as well as Persians and Somalis. So, it's no surprise that Tippu Tip, a black skinned African swahili, wouldn't appear all that physically different from other black skinned African people. The point is though, he was not an Arab, though probably sold African slaves to Arabs.

Like I said before. Al-Jahiz of Basra himself, had an black skinned enslaved African grandfather. Basra was were the Zanj Rebellion took place, and still to this day has a significant Afro-Iraqi population. But, with that said how can you pick out quotes like by him and ignore these quotes by him?

• We know that the Zanj (blacks) are the least intelligent and the least discerning of mankind, and the least capable of understanding the consequences of actions

• Like the crow among mankind are the Zanj for they are the worst of men and the most vicious of creatures in character and temperament.
West Asian views on black Africans during the medieval era - ColorQ Articles Etc

^^^^He clearly was referring to Africans or Afro-Arabs when he spoke of "the Zanj".

And also what about the earliest tales collected in what are considered the most authentic saheeh hadith collections before the expansion of islam under the first four Rashidun Caliphs giving a physical description of the prophet muhammad himself as a white skinned man? Are we just suppose to pretend these don't exist?

I said to Abu Tufail: Did you see Allah's Messenger (ﷺ)? He said: Yes, he had a white handsome face. Muslim b. Hajjaj said: Abu Tufail who died in 100 Hijra was the last of the Companions of Allah's Messenger (ﷺ). - Sahih Muslim

Another Hadith from Ibn Majjah

Sometimes I remember the words of the poet when I was looking at the face of the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) on the pulpit. He did not come down until all the waterspouts in Al-Madinah were filled with rain. And I remember what the poet said: ‘He has a white complexion and rain is sought by virtue of his countenance, He cares for the orphans, and protects the widows, These are the words of Abu Talib. - Ibn Majjah

Thanks anyway, for raising some great points despite the disagreement.
You are an intelligent and thoughtful brother. My faith in the Root has been somewhat restored :smile: