10/12/24 DAZN/ESPN+: Artur Beterbiev vs Dmitry Bivol (Undisputed Light Heavyweight Championship)

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Apprentice

RIP Doughboy Roc
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Bivol ain’t gettin enough credit for his power

Really think his speed and endurance takes him over the top here; the way he gets in and out is 1 to none in boxing atm

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Bivol ain’t gettin enough credit for his power

Really think his speed and endurance takes him over the top here; the way he gets in and out is 1 to none in boxing atm
175 is a division of real high level punchers and until this year bivol went 6 years without stopping anybody so his punching doesn't stand out like that

Apprentice

RIP Doughboy Roc
Daps
Reppin
DMV
175 is a division of real high level punchers and until this year bivol went 6 years without stopping anybody so his punching doesn't stand out like that
I don’t think he tries to stop anyone, very disciplined boxer; our favorites have that natural power and killer instinct to throw hooks and uppers to end fights

Bivol obviously don’t got the natural power but I def think his punch out weakens most his opponents by the championship rounds where they become neutralized and he knows he can get the win

See the same thing happening here

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
its effective but there would have to some degree of offense to keep beterbiev honest if you're going to fight behind one
I said this before & The Nail just recently said this, that I believe Beterbiev is more prepared to deal with Bivol's style then Bivol is ready for Beterbiev's style. Beterbiev knows how to track guys down that use their legs in the ring. I don't know if Bivol can handle a fighter like AB that's gonna jab with him, put mental & physical pressure on him, knows how to cut the ring off & even if he doesn't land clean, Bivol's gonna feel those punches.

That's a whole different kind of pressure

chunky_mcdaniels

All Star
Daps
I said this before & The Nail just recently said this, that I believe Beterbiev is more prepared to deal with Bivol's style then Bivol is ready for Beterbiev's style. Beterbiev knows how to track guys down that use their legs in the ring. I don't know if Bivol can handle a fighter like AB that's gonna jab with him, put mental & physical pressure on him, knows how to cut the ring off & even if he doesn't land clean, Bivol's gonna feel those punches.

That's a whole different kind of pressure
It’s a good point, Beterbiev has that interesting power jab where he sort of leans his weight past the centre of gravity first and then gets distance and power on the jab, and then straights and follow up jab. He can really cut the distance down with it.

I’m fascinated to see where the two fighters different styles will intersect. Whilst Beterbiev has great power and punching on an axis, he lacks agility and range of movement. You could even argue they have opposite attributes in this sense (Bivol elite at movement and range of motion.)

50/50 fight for me because of this.

Last edited:

Derek Lee

#thunderup
Supporter
Daps

Joe Smith Jr. breaks down the Dmitry Bivol-Artur Beterbiev stylistic matchup​

BJ2I9080-770x513.jpg

Bivol outclassed WBO light heavyweight titleholder Joe Smith Jr. in 2019. Photo by Ed Mulholland/Matchroom Boxing USA
Oct
Fighters Network
by Anson Wainwright | Comments
Artur Beterbiev and Dmitry Bivol hold all four sanctioning body light heavyweight titles between them, and they combine for a highly impressive 43-0 (32 knockouts) record.
The two rivals will meet for the vacant Ring championship and to decide who is the premier light heavyweight of their generation at the Kingdom Arena, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, on Saturday.
They share one common opponent, Joe Smith Jr. The American lost to both in world title fights. He was defeated by Bivol (UD) in a WBA title shot in March 2019 and to Beterbiev (TKO 2) in a unification match up in June 2022.
“It’s definitely a great fight for both guys,” Smith told The Ring. “Both are amazing fighters. Bivol has great technical abilities, so does Beterbiev.

“In my opinion, they’re two of the best fighters in the world, in all divisions, they could beat anybody. It’s going to be amazing.”
Smith, who will look to snap a two-fight losing streak when he returns at cruiserweight this fall, was happy to speak about his shared history with both fighters.”(Beterbiev’s) a very accurate puncher and his timing accuracy is right on,” he said. “Bivol is a very slick guy, he’s got great in and out movement. He bounces on feet very well and throws numerous punches and combinations. He’s a difficult fight for anybody.
“I did hurt Bivol with one shot but went 12 rounds with him. With Beterbiev I did land some decent shots early on but the fight ended quickly (laughs.)”
The intriguing matchup pits Bivol, a wonderful boxer who with time and space will pick you apart, while Beterbiev methodically breaks you down over a period of time.
“That’s exactly how I see things,” he concurred. “They’ve got so many abilities it’s definitely going to be a great fight to watch and it could definitely go either way. Beterbiev does break you down and get you out of there but Bivol will break you down in a different way with numerous punches and getting you frustrated because you can’t hit him back (laughs.)
“I caught him with a nice overhand right at the end of the bell (in round 10), that he didn’t see coming. Thirty seconds earlier, I’d have been the champ! (laughs.) That’s what Beterbiev’s great at doing, so (Bivol has) got to watch out for that punch.”
Beterbiev-slugs-Smith_Williams.jpg

Joe Smith Jr (left) and Artur Beterbiev (right) exchange punches during their IBF/WBC/WBO light heavyweight title fight, at The Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden on June 18, 2022 – Photo by Mikey Williams/Top Rank Inc via Getty Images
Meanwhile, he felt as though whoever landed first in his fight with Beterbiev would win, and perhaps he was a little too gung-ho.
“That’s how I felt in that fight,” he said. “He caught me with a good shot coming forward, right behind the ear and with the crowd and adrenaline rush, I didn’t give myself time to recover, I just kept going after him and it got me into trouble.”
Smith Jr. says that both need to fight their fights, and whoever is able to impose their style will go a long way to emerging victorious.
“I think what Bivol does, in and out, that great movement he has and always being aware of what’s coming to him and being sharp,” he said. “(Beterbiev needs to) take his time and time his shots right. Just being busy when he can be busy. Any time Bivol comes in to throw his punches, punch with him.”
Smith Jr. broke down each fighter in 10 key categories:
JAB
Bivol: “They’ve both got great jabs but I would say Bivol will use his jab more.”
DEFENSE
Bivol: “Neither one of them gets hit too much, but I would go with Bivol, with that in-and-out, side-to-side movement he has, where Beterbiev comes straight forward and off to an angle to look for his right hand.”
HAND SPEED
Bivol: “Better hand speed, I go to Bivol. They’re both quick, I’d say Bivol throws more variety of punches, I say busy with his feet and hands.”
FOOTWORK
Bivol: “You’ve got to go with Bivol. His footwork is different from anything I’ve seen, he bounces like a rabbit, he’s kind of in and out, that little bounce, side-to-side and he picks his angles. Beterbiev works those angles, he’s always coming in, but he steps off to either his right or left. He’s always looking to set up a big shot.”
SMARTEST
Split: “Both their I.Q. in the ring is amazing, they both know what they’re looking for, they set things up and put things in motion and take advantage of it when they get opportunity to. I really can’t say either way because both men are dangerous.”
STRONGEST
Bivol: “From my experience in the clinches, I thought Bivol was actually stronger but I wasn’t in there too long with Beterbiev to make the call. I didn’t feel Beterbiev was extremely strong when I was in there with him, he caught me in the right spot at the right time which changed everything.”
POWER
Beterbiev: “When Beterbiev caught me it was a good shot in the right spot and knocked off my equilibrium where I couldn’t balance myself correctly. Both men are strong but I would give the power to Beterbiev.”
CHIN
Split: “I think they’ve both got great chins and the fight could definitely go the distance. You have seen Beterbiev hurt in the past. I’ve seen Bivol hurt against me. They both recover quickly and comeback.”
SKILLS
Split: “Both of these guys possess an amazing skill and ability to do what they do. They’re totally different styles and in a way they do have similar traits. You’ve just got to wait to see the fight to really see what happens.”
BEST OVERALL
Bivol: “I’m going to give a slight edge to Bivol, just on the movement and the combinations he throws.”
Smith Jr. believes it’s a fight of fine margins.
“I can see Beterbiev trying to push the pressure early on, stay on him,” he said. “I can see Bivol being cautious and boxing very well. I think the fights going to build and build and be a great fight.
“The fight could go either way. You’ve got Bivol with his combinations and feet, he could pick Beterbiev apart. Or Beterbiev where he lands a big shot.
“I believe it’ll be a close fight. It could be a stoppage both men have the power and ability to stop each other. It’s going to be an interesting fight. I think it’s 50/ 50 both have the slight advantage in certain things.
“If I had to really make a pick, I’d maybe take my chances with Bivol by decision.”