1 BTC = $8.2k, it’s up 735% this yr UPDATE 5/19: BTC @ $42k :damn:

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
I was intrigued by your post and this fdic insurance thing. Trying to see what their payouts have been over the years and how severe things can get. I came across their website about previous bank failures in past 20 years.

It happens often but not too often and most banks that failed are small banks anyways. Year with most banks was 2010 and with most money was 2008.

So I found this article from a few years back which is likely still accurate at least for #1. Biggest bank failure ever was Washington Mutual back in September 2008 for 307 billion. It got bought out by JPM aka Chase so the FDIC didn't have to pay.

the FED (/central banks) bailed out the banking system above the head of the FDIC/ETC in period-2008 in the USA, UK, Germany, France .. they did this because the various deposit insurance bodies did not have enough money and a run on the entire banking system was a real possibility.
in the absence of that direct shoring up of the banking system incl. individual banks there would be a lot more to add to that list.

"Too big to fail" (TBTF) and "Too big to jail" is a theory in banking and finance that asserts that certain corporations, particularly financial institutions, are so large and so interconnected that their failure would be disastrous to the greater economic system, and that they therefore must be supported by governments when they face potential failure.[1] The colloquial term "too big to fail" was popularized by U.S. Congressman Stewart McKinney in a 1984 Congressional hearing, discussing the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation's intervention with Continental Illinois.[2] The term had previously been used occasionally in the press,[3] and similar thinking had motivated earlier bank bailouts.[4]"

post all of this FDIC insurance went from 100K to 250K and FDIC lending limit went up to ~500bn IIRC.

1. Washington Mutual Bank​

• Assets: $307.02 billion
  • Deposits: $188.26 billion
  • Failure Date: Sept. 25, 2008
The largest bank failure ever occurred when Washington Mutual Bank went under in 2008. At the time, it had about $307 billion in assets. During the uncertainty of the banking crisis, however, Washington Mutual experienced a bank run where customers withdrew almost $17 billion in assets in less than 10 days. Washington Mutual didn’t receive any government bailouts and instead was seized and sold to JP Morgan for $1.9 billion, so the FDIC didn’t have to pay anything out of its reserve fund related to the bank’s closing.

So then that leads us to #2.

2. IndyMac Bank, FSP​

• Assets: $30.70 billion
  • Deposits: $18.94 billion
  • Failure Date: July 11, 2008
IndyMac became a major player in the banking world during the real estate boom of the early 2000s by specializing in loans that didn’t require borrowers to produce much in the way of income or asset verification. If home prices rose, that wasn’t a big deal because the bank could simply foreclose and recoup its loan amount by reselling the house. But when real estate prices fell, IndyMac’s losses grew. At the time of its closing, IndyMac was the largest bank failure in U.S. history — though it would only hold that title for a few months. The failure cost the FDIC approximately $9 billion.

Failure cost the FDIC approximately $9 billion. Going up the list, I don't see any other failures for higher than that amount. So the 307 billion bank was bought out by another bank and the second highest bank cost them 9 billion. Here's what I'm wondering,

RankBank NameTotal Assets
1JPMorgan Chase$2.87 Trillion
2Bank of America$2.16 Trillion
3Wells Fargo & Co.$1.75 Trillion
4Citigroup$1.65 Trillion
5U.S. Bancorp$530.50 Billion
6Truist Financial Corporation$488.02 Billion
7PNC Financial Services$457.45 Billion
8TD Bank$388.34 Billion
9Capital One$360.26 Billion
10Bank of New York Mellon Corp.$349.43 Billion

How they gonna save a top ten bank if one of them fails? Is Chase gonna be able to buy out Bank of New York if it fails like it did with Washington Mutual back then? What about if BOA or Wells Fargo fail? The FDIC gonna be prepared for something major like that?

When ascertaining the banks position you have to net out liabilities vs assets. Once that unwinding is all done the list of liabilities can shrink considerably.

Saying that most of the biggest banks are considered "Too Big To Fail" because of widespread "Contagion" of an unordered unwind.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I was intrigued by your post and this fdic insurance thing. Trying to see what their payouts have been over the years and how severe things can get. I came across their website about previous bank failures in past 20 years.

It happens often but not too often and most banks that failed are small banks anyways. Year with most banks was 2010 and with most money was 2008.

So I found this article from a few years back which is likely still accurate at least for #1. Biggest bank failure ever was Washington Mutual back in September 2008 for 307 billion. It got bought out by JPM aka Chase so the FDIC didn't have to pay.

1. Washington Mutual Bank​

• Assets: $307.02 billion
  • Deposits: $188.26 billion
  • Failure Date: Sept. 25, 2008
The largest bank failure ever occurred when Washington Mutual Bank went under in 2008. At the time, it had about $307 billion in assets. During the uncertainty of the banking crisis, however, Washington Mutual experienced a bank run where customers withdrew almost $17 billion in assets in less than 10 days. Washington Mutual didn’t receive any government bailouts and instead was seized and sold to JP Morgan for $1.9 billion, so the FDIC didn’t have to pay anything out of its reserve fund related to the bank’s closing.

So then that leads us to #2.

2. IndyMac Bank, FSP​

• Assets: $30.70 billion
  • Deposits: $18.94 billion
  • Failure Date: July 11, 2008
IndyMac became a major player in the banking world during the real estate boom of the early 2000s by specializing in loans that didn’t require borrowers to produce much in the way of income or asset verification. If home prices rose, that wasn’t a big deal because the bank could simply foreclose and recoup its loan amount by reselling the house. But when real estate prices fell, IndyMac’s losses grew. At the time of its closing, IndyMac was the largest bank failure in U.S. history — though it would only hold that title for a few months. The failure cost the FDIC approximately $9 billion.

Failure cost the FDIC approximately $9 billion. Going up the list, I don't see any other failures for higher than that amount. So the 307 billion bank was bought out by another bank and the second highest bank cost them 9 billion. Here's what I'm wondering,

RankBank NameTotal Assets
1JPMorgan Chase$2.87 Trillion
2Bank of America$2.16 Trillion
3Wells Fargo & Co.$1.75 Trillion
4Citigroup$1.65 Trillion
5U.S. Bancorp$530.50 Billion
6Truist Financial Corporation$488.02 Billion
7PNC Financial Services$457.45 Billion
8TD Bank$388.34 Billion
9Capital One$360.26 Billion
10Bank of New York Mellon Corp.$349.43 Billion

How they gonna save a top ten bank if one of them fails? Is Chase gonna be able to buy out Bank of New York if it fails like it did with Washington Mutual back then? What about if BOA or Wells Fargo fail? The FDIC gonna be prepared for something major like that?
:wow: you posted this and hit submit and discuss finances all the time here, i feel duped :wow:

Those big asset numbers are tied to mortgages mostly, which is a whole other ball game.

FDIC insurance up to 250k is for actual banking /brokerage accounts. As example, if you have 3 accounts with 250k each in it, 750k total, you are covered if something happens.

But if you have 750k in 1 account, then fdic only insures up to 250k, so if something happened to that account it would be a 500k loss.

But for the wealthy, they use private client banking which offers different type of insurances that you’ll realistically never know about.

F K

All Star
Daps
how does defi make money? are ppl really borrowing from them like that?

Last edited:

JJ Lions

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah, I think Bitcoin might dip under 22k today.

Updated my alerts, just got 2. ETH and RUNE.

Looking at my portfolio using - Live Cryptocurrency Prices, Charts & Portfolio | Live Coin Watch

I have it where I see:
1hr
24hr
7day
30day
90day
1 year

Solid red now except RSR +40% on the 30 day and then AVAX and NEAR green on the year. They might go red soon..

Now ADA price alert came in. And another one

Bitcoin (BTC) went below 22,500.00 USD on Coinbase.​

So it's making a move. Going update that alert to go off at 22,000.

But going to go eat soon, so...

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
I have some reservations for 19 I'll skip 21 and 20

Depends on if previous ATH holds around 20k. Put up a fib chart and it dropped from that 50% support it was holding for a bit, then the 61% line fell and it's gone past 65% this week. 78% might be next. Plus the EMA crossed over bearish. So that's something else to worry about. That cross around 2018 lasted like 5 months for context. Hopefully this one doesn't last as long. 20k is gonna be crucial if it comes to that.

OvFfJe2x

Last edited:

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Explain this to me like im 5. I have no clue what Trezor is. Would the average crypto investor know what these words are?

sorry.

you have your coins "on" a hardware trezor device.

you can trade and swap directly from the trezor device (back into the device) using a non-centralized exchange or an exchange service.

you can off/on ramp (swap for FIAT) directly from trezor too.

defi = decentralised finance.

you can do that without any exchange accounts.

DrunkenNovice

Superstar
Daps
:wow: you posted this and hit submit and discuss finances all the time here, i feel duped :wow:

Those big asset numbers are tied to mortgages mostly, which is a whole other ball game.

FDIC insurance up to 250k is for actual banking /brokerage accounts. As example, if you have 3 accounts with 250k each in it, 750k total, you are covered if something happens.

But if you have 750k in 1 account, then fdic only insures up to 250k, so if something happened to that account it would be a 500k loss.

But for the wealthy, they use private client banking which offers different type of insurances that you’ll realistically never know about.

Also, FDIC is per depositor, so if you have 2 people on the account you’re covered for up to 500k and so on

As far as this market

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
to be fair, crypto still has a big user experience problem if we're really being honest here. click one wrong link accidentally and all your crypto/NFTs get swiped from your wallet. Before transferring funds you're so scared you're needing to double check triple check that you're putting in the right wallet address before you click send. where crypto is today, the whole self-custody thing is still not user friendly at all. If it continues like this, there will be no mass adoption of 'decentralization'

be honest. if your mom was getting into crypto, do you really see her managing her own ledger vs simply leaving shyt on coinbase? There's no mass adoption of any of this shyt if the UX dont get better.

You lose your valuable NFT just cause you made an honest mistake clicking on a compromised link. If the UX for this self-custody shyt doesn't improve like ASAP then all this shyt will just end up on centralized systems like we have now
speaking of NFT, plenty of times we seen where they intended to sell something for one price and ended up selling it for another and losing out on tons of money. happens every so often.

JJ Lions

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
to be fair, crypto still has a big user experience problem if we're really being honest here. click one wrong link accidentally and all your crypto/NFTs get swiped from your wallet. Before transferring funds you're so scared you're needing to double check triple check that you're putting in the right wallet address before you click send. where crypto is today, the whole self-custody thing is still not user friendly at all. If it continues like this, there will be no mass adoption of 'decentralization'

be honest. if your mom was getting into crypto, do you really see her managing her own ledger vs simply leaving shyt on coinbase? There's no mass adoption of any of this shyt if the UX dont get better.

You lose your valuable NFT just cause you made an honest mistake clicking on a compromised link. If the UX for this self-custody shyt doesn't improve like ASAP then all this shyt will just end up on centralized systems like we have now
That experience problem will go away with time.

I go back to affiliate marketing for a second. When I first got into it, I didn't know anybody who knew how to make a website, this was about 1999.

On affiliate marketing forums people would talk about threats to our income, most people were talking about adware and rightfully so, lots of thieves in that area. I also pointed out the bigger threat would be more competition. I said kids growing up from 2000 till today, are growing up with computers in the home and school and making a website won't be a big deal to them.

Same with crypto. Kids growing up today are growing up with crypto, so this will be normal to them. 2 years ago my brother texted me and asked me if I knew anything about crrypto because my nephew was getting into it. I said it was a scam, stay away, until I got into it.

So moms and dads, yeah it will be harder for most. Kids growing up today, this will be normal stuff.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
privacy coins ..

i just saw that liitecoin has just gone private (using stealth addresses + exchain area) and now they are being banned.

xmr is not banned tho :jbhmm:

-

it's time for a new coin that separates itself from the current infrastructure - peer-to-peer.

back-to-basics coin.:jbhmm:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
privacy coins ..

i just saw that liitecoin has just gone private (using stealth addresses + exchain area) and now they are being banned.

xmr is not banned tho :jbhmm:

-

it's time for a new coin that separates itself from the current infrastructure - peer-to-peer.

back-to-basics coin.:jbhmm:
Litecoin is lowkey dope, ive never seen its network go down and its the only one i use to make purchases.