1 BTC = $8.2k, it’s up 735% this yr UPDATE 5/19: BTC @ $42k :damn:

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Damn. Thats crazy. That ive read probably 5,000 posts on here about crypto over the years and never saw such a thing warned against :ohhh:

I'm sure it has been mentioned on here at some point. I searched for the term "not your keys" and saw some posts. Saying is, not your keys, not your crypto. But you can't just rely on the coli for info, gotta expand your horizons. Twitter, Reddit, Discord, wherever you can find info on, cuz some of us might not know. But thats a popular saying all over the crypto world. Security is very important. Owning your own keys as well as doing your best to secure yourself if you use a CEX which is necessary as well. Things like 2 Factor Authorization and I even have my phone sim card locked as added security. Gotta try and be as secure as possible out here.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I was intrigued by your post and this fdic insurance thing. Trying to see what their payouts have been over the years and how severe things can get. I came across their website about previous bank failures in past 20 years.

It happens often but not too often and most banks that failed are small banks anyways. Year with most banks was 2010 and with most money was 2008.

So I found this article from a few years back which is likely still accurate at least for #1. Biggest bank failure ever was Washington Mutual back in September 2008 for 307 billion. It got bought out by JPM aka Chase so the FDIC didn't have to pay.

1. Washington Mutual Bank​

• Assets: $307.02 billion
  • Deposits: $188.26 billion
  • Failure Date: Sept. 25, 2008
The largest bank failure ever occurred when Washington Mutual Bank went under in 2008. At the time, it had about $307 billion in assets. During the uncertainty of the banking crisis, however, Washington Mutual experienced a bank run where customers withdrew almost $17 billion in assets in less than 10 days. Washington Mutual didn’t receive any government bailouts and instead was seized and sold to JP Morgan for $1.9 billion, so the FDIC didn’t have to pay anything out of its reserve fund related to the bank’s closing.

So then that leads us to #2.

2. IndyMac Bank, FSP​

• Assets: $30.70 billion
  • Deposits: $18.94 billion
  • Failure Date: July 11, 2008
IndyMac became a major player in the banking world during the real estate boom of the early 2000s by specializing in loans that didn’t require borrowers to produce much in the way of income or asset verification. If home prices rose, that wasn’t a big deal because the bank could simply foreclose and recoup its loan amount by reselling the house. But when real estate prices fell, IndyMac’s losses grew. At the time of its closing, IndyMac was the largest bank failure in U.S. history — though it would only hold that title for a few months. The failure cost the FDIC approximately $9 billion.

Failure cost the FDIC approximately $9 billion. Going up the list, I don't see any other failures for higher than that amount. So the 307 billion bank was bought out by another bank and the second highest bank cost them 9 billion. Here's what I'm wondering,

RankBank NameTotal Assets
1JPMorgan Chase$2.87 Trillion
2Bank of America$2.16 Trillion
3Wells Fargo & Co.$1.75 Trillion
4Citigroup$1.65 Trillion
5U.S. Bancorp$530.50 Billion
6Truist Financial Corporation$488.02 Billion
7PNC Financial Services$457.45 Billion
8TD Bank$388.34 Billion
9Capital One$360.26 Billion
10Bank of New York Mellon Corp.$349.43 Billion

How they gonna save a top ten bank if one of them fails? Is Chase gonna be able to buy out Bank of New York if it fails like it did with Washington Mutual back then? What about if BOA or Wells Fargo fail? The FDIC gonna be prepared for something major like that?

Yes. Unless Washington DC is being seized by an overseas army - which will never happen - the FDIC will get you your money. You'd have to have a complete collapse of the country in order for people not to get their 250k. This is why a centralized, regulated banking system is a good thing. My problem with crypto is that people said they wanted something decentralized and unregulated, and now that they're getting robbed/scammed/etc all of a sudden they're mad. This is what people signed up for. It's the wild wild west.

I saw an article earlier today about recent hires at Coinbase being fired before they could even start their jobs, due to all the fukkery going on. These were finance people who came from major banks or tech companies to work at Coinbase, and now they're out of a job before they even started. I have some crypto and I will buy more at some point. But as of right now it is NOT a good investment to put all your eggs in, nor does it make much sense to spend thousands of dollars "buying the dip" because this shyt isn't really tethered to anything. There's way too much fraud, embezzling, theft, and laundering involved. And when that veil gets pulled - like right now, during an economic downturn - you get fukked.

I've got a lot of money in the S&P 500. I'm down right now. But I'm not worried at all because the product is sound. Unless you think Google/MS/Apple/etc are going out of business soon, you'll be fine betting on American business.

The chart at the beginning is key. Hedge fund guys are smart, but they're not better than the market. But you know who they ARE better than? Regular dudes who are watching youtube, trying to pick winning stocks...or crypto. Just sit back and let the market work. Sometimes you're gonna lose, like I may end up losing this year. But I've been doing this since 2007 and there have only been a couple bad years. 08 (recession), 20 (covid), and now (post-covid slowdown, inflation). I feel good.

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All these brokerages are looking funny in the light, makes you wonder how extensive the damage will be to crypto after everything that’s happened including with Luna.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
it absolutely has been…numerous times…it’s not even debatable lmao

Cold wallets and storage has always been brought up, brehs gotta choose their engagements wisely.
Im confused though on what yall are arguing on my bank / marketplace post. My post is about the marketplaces being down/halting trades so you cant sell even if you wanted, poking fun at decade long joke of “dont use banks they can hold your money”.

You and roughly 5 posters brought up cold wallets/storages.

Im really trying to figure out, what the hell that has to do with accessing your money? Which was the point of my post.

Who cares if you have some 5 step Authenticator hard drive where your bitcoin is saved to some wallet that you hid away in your closet, if the marketplaces are down you cant sell it still, correct? Correct me where im wrong

If you invested into 5 bitcoins, and its on a wallet/storage, and binance/coinbase, etc are halting trades, how would you sell those 5 coins, right now at this moment, to access your money?

JJ Lions

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My problem with crypto is that people said they wanted something decentralized and unregulated, and now that they're getting robbed/scammed/etc all of a sudden they're mad. This is what people signed up for. It's the wild wild west.
Yep. Reminds me a little of early day affiliate marketing. Really crazy. Merchants and networks, are they tracking correctly. And they attributing to the right affiliate. Spam. Adware issues, I used to get lots of threats back in the day for speaking out against them. Advertising online. Some affiliates thought because what they did online, the already existing laws didn't apply to them, which was wrong of course but the FTC had to update their guidelines to specifically mention affiliates. Some merchants/networks closing, not paying what's owed, etc. You ever see the movie Gangs of New York. I remember watching that for the first time and thinking that isn't real. It was. Things are crazy at the beginning but then things get better.

Everything happening now will make things better in the future. When things get crazy and more mainstream, regulation comes in.

JJ Lions

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
At 22 again :sas1:
Thought my price alerts broke for a second, just updated it an hour ago to go off at 22,500. Getting close - $22,787.78

-------------
Last night or actually earlier today, just got a little more Bitcoin, ETH, Fantom.

Just watching now, see what else to get in. Really waiting on Wednesday now. Saying they're expecting a 75 point hike instead of 50.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
It's not ironic because people have warned against using centralized exchanges for years. Especially large amounts. A lot of folks are just lazy and don't care to use cold wallets
Like this post got 6 daps, and has 0 to do with what im talking about

Ok cool, your bitcoin is on a wallet. Awesome man. Now if the exchanges are down, how do you sell it to get your investment back?

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
It's not ironic because people have warned against using centralized exchanges for years. Especially large amounts. A lot of folks are just lazy and don't care to use cold wallets
to be fair, crypto still has a big user experience problem if we're really being honest here. click one wrong link accidentally and all your crypto/NFTs get swiped from your wallet. Before transferring funds you're so scared you're needing to double check triple check that you're putting in the right wallet address before you click send. where crypto is today, the whole self-custody thing is still not user friendly at all. If it continues like this, there will be no mass adoption of 'decentralization'

be honest. if your mom was getting into crypto, do you really see her managing her own ledger vs simply leaving shyt on coinbase? There's no mass adoption of any of this shyt if the UX dont get better.

You lose your valuable NFT just cause you made an honest mistake clicking on a compromised link. If the UX for this self-custody shyt doesn't improve like ASAP then all this shyt will just end up on centralized systems like we have now