1 BTC = $8.2k, it’s up 735% this yr UPDATE 5/19: BTC @ $42k :damn:

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
How many whales are there? With a limited supply, I can imagine any whale selling would greatly affect the price. Especially now with institutions getting in more and more. How long before they get tired of btc and move towards eth as it grows?
:mjlol: Explain how they would get tired of BTC please

Numpsay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PAT 2 HTown
How many whales are there? With a limited supply, I can imagine any whale selling would greatly affect the price. Especially now with institutions getting in more and more. How long before they get tired of btc and move towards eth as it grows? Or what if whales take up mostly the entire supply? Or what if it loses popularity? Eventually the market gonna move with or without btc. I think over time it will happen.

People have been asking these questions for years now, that is about the most I can say in regards to your questions. I'm interested to see what happens when BTC market share goes <40%

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Not to derail the thread but I don't think we are anywhere near adoptionm at this point. Probably a decade+ away if it ever indeed happens in our lifetime. So yea I refer to this as a market that is driven by trading until shown otherwise.

as a minimum those multi layer solutions will work right? and those layers make it possible to replace layer-0 transparently.

if in our lifetimes those layers are not going to work than .. there is only so long that the masses will believe that they will

and if not then crypto will have lost the electro currency battle.

by the end of our lifetimes cash will be rare anyway. if crypto isn't viable by then they are going start sounding like JW's with the "just around the corner" never-never promises while the world has moved on.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
:mjlol: Explain how they would get tired of BTC please
When something different and better comes along. Like look at the yahoo and google analogy. Look at the car industry. Ford was the original and creator but it's not the current best selling brand. Nothing is guaranteed. Technology always evolving and who knows when something different may come around that the people have more interest in. Not saying it may happen soon but the possibility of it happening are there.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
The Yahoo and google metaphors was in relation to Ethereum. He said he doesn't see anything unseating BTC for store of value. But for smart contracts, he sees possibility for another chain to come in and do it better than Ethereum at some point

what does he know about technology to make that statement?

Payday23

Superstar
Daps
The Yahoo and google metaphors was in relation to Ethereum. He said he doesn't see anything unseating BTC for store of value. But for smart contracts, he sees possibility for another chain to come in and do it better than Ethereum at some point
He said it regarding both and he's right. :manny:

Doesn't mean BTC is going anywhere

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Brehs how do you cash out without paying taxes?

Some kat online was talking about getting a loan for your coin then taking the loan and coverting it to usd and with drawing it. But letting the exchange take the coin you put up for the loan.

Due to it being a loan it doesn't count as taking profit. Now I am not sure how this works or if this is true.

Numpsay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PAT 2 HTown
as a minimum those multi layer solutions will work right? and those layers make it possible to replace layer-0 transparently.

if in our lifetimes those layers are not going to work than .. there is only so long that the masses will believe that they will

and if not then crypto will have lost the electro currency battle.

by the end of our lifetimes cash will be rare anyway. if crypto isn't viable by then they are going start sounding like JW's with the "just around the corner" never-never promises while the world has moved on.

I think the masses will generally be ok with this being a secondary market to the stock exchange without a real use case coming out of it.

When something different and better comes along. Like look at the yahoo and google analogy. Look at the car industry. Ford was the original and creator but it's not the current best selling brand. Nothing is guaranteed. Technology always evolving and who knows when something different may come around that the people have more interest in. Not saying it may happen soon but the possibility of it happening are there.

Something different and better has come along. There are plenty of coins that exist with good tech behind it. Doesn't matter at the end of the day. The market moves as BTC moves until we are shown otherwise.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
He said it regarding both and he's right. :manny:

Doesn't mean BTC is going anywhere

it does mean that history has shown us something better is likely to come along eventually

history also shows that when the better thing becomes available the market moves.

the problem is that BTC-posse speaks with forked tongues.

if they are honest that a core function of BTC (as it stands) is speculation then then can explain how a new better technical product won't have that.

but if they stick to their claims of wanting an independent currency (without wild appreciation) then that means they leave themselves over to technical replacement.

those forked tongues will manifest itself even without the same sentence.

it's like some sort of 1984 newspeak where people just ignore the blatant contradictions. like they didn't happen.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
I think the masses will generally be ok with this being a secondary market to the stock exchange without a real use case coming out of it.

n-layers with cross-chains and BTC at some layer-0 means that the masses won't know, won't care and won't even notice when transacting.

like you don't know the brand of the telecom cables transmitting the messages when you make a phone call.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Something different and better has come along. There are plenty of coins that exist with good tech behind it. Doesn't matter at the end of the day. The market moves as BTC moves until we are shown otherwise.

what do you know about "coin tech"?

a better replacement is one that solves (has solved already) problems that are inherent in BTC.

a better replacement is not based on vapourware and as yet unfulfilled promises.

shakobe

All Star
Daps
I wanna put $100 into shiba I already have 5.5 million coins should wait until it goes down?