1 BTC = $8.2k, it’s up 735% this yr UPDATE 5/19: BTC @ $42k :damn:

Pacni99a12

All Star
Daps
Now is not the time to trade unless you've got so much BTC that it's for shyts n giggles, or you've got mental health problems.

USD prices this high is going to create the opposite of FOMO for a lot of people. Do you sell and realise the USD price to obtain something more tangible like property, or hold and be able to live your life knowing you have a life changing amount of money at your fingertips but not do anything with it yet?
I plan on converting some just to spend on stuff I need. Sick of 9-5 rat race so I want to pay off my mortgage within next couple years. Then there's a portion of bitcoin I may not sell for a decade +. By that time there may be no need to sell. I just spend as I need it

Red

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I plan on converting some just to spend on stuff I need. Sick of 9-5 rat race so I want to pay off my mortgage within next couple years. Then there's a portion of bitcoin I may not sell for a decade +. By that time there may be no need to sell. I just spend as I need it

These prices are making me think wtf was I doing fukking with altcoins a few years ago.. the wasted money :sadbron:

Pacni99a12

All Star
Daps
These prices are making me think wtf was I doing fukking with altcoins a few years ago.. the wasted money :sadbron:
:snoop:im right with you man. Good thing I smartened up end of 2018 and starting dollar cost averaging into bitcoin. Still holding some alt bags though

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
what would you say is the biggest threat to btc not reaching its potential?

The amount of power you need to mine Bitcoin. It’s astronomical. Consumes the same amount of energy as Switzerland.

Governments playing hardball once global currencies are truly threatened.

People being scammed out of their coins, losing their wallet/keys or locking themselves out of their account and there’s no central authority to get it back. Imagine all the times you locked yourself out of your email, online banking account or lost your password to something.

Vulnerable to professional hacks. If someone could gain 51% of the computing power, they can hack the entire system.

Trading one system of control (banks, central banks, governments, regulators) for another (miners) under the guise of being decentralized when in reality there’s only a few parties in the world with enough money to run these Bitcoin mining systems profitably meaning there could be a handful of unsavory wealthy individuals who essentially control this internet money supply. And unlike before you have no idea who these muthafukkas are. Think James Bond villian type sh*t.

Taxes. Coincides with point two. If governments treat it like a security, people can’t spend it like dollars as every transaction is taxable if the currency has appreciated in value. The tax situation is a nightmare still.

Tied to the electrical grid. Assuming there’s a doomsday power outage, gold is at least valuable. You can trade that still. Bitcoin is magic air money that will vanish in a poof.

The usual. Bitcoin being used to funnel cash across borders for various criminal acts.

I’m invested in Bitcoin btw but that’s how I see it :yeshrug:

GreenGrass

All Star
Daps
it kind of sucks it is going up but whatever, the method right now is to buy weather or not it goes up or down and just hodl.

ps: if you live in Canada, i would check out newton.co for e-transfers and then buy your coin.

heisenburrr

Have Fun Staying Poor
Daps
The amount of power you need to mine Bitcoin. It’s astronomical. Consumes the same amount of energy as Switzerland.

Governments playing hardball once global currencies are truly threatened.

People being scammed out of their coins, losing their wallet/keys or locking themselves out of their account and there’s no central authority to get it back. Imagine all the times you locked yourself out of your email, online banking account or lost your password to something.

Vulnerable to professional hacks. If someone could gain 51% of the computing power, they can hack the entire system.

Trading one system of control (banks, central banks, governments, regulators) for another (miners) under the guise of being decentralized when in reality there’s only a few parties in the world with enough money to run these Bitcoin mining systems profitably meaning there could be a handful of unsavory wealthy individuals who essentially control this internet money supply. And unlike before you have no idea who these muthafukkas are. Think James Bond villian type sh*t.

Taxes. Coincides with point two. If governments treat it like a security, people can’t spend it like dollars as every transaction is taxable if the currency has appreciated in value. The tax situation is a nightmare still.

Tied to the electrical grid. Assuming there’s a doomsday power outage, gold is at least valuable. You can trade that still. Bitcoin is magic air money that will vanish in a poof.

The usual. Bitcoin being used to funnel cash across borders for various criminal acts.

I’m invested in Bitcoin btw but that’s how I see it :yeshrug:

Sorry but none of it works like you think it does.

Miners neither control nor can they "hack the entire system".

Jblaze204

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Uptown NY
I plan to purchase bitcoin. any tips or advice ya give me will be appreciated.

I did some research and to buy bitcoin i need a wallet. Bitcoin's website is recommending BRD and Electrum. Next i can buy off coinbase after setting up an account.

Does this sound right or should i do it another way? I plan to just buy and hold long term - super long term, just hold and sit on it. I plan on starting up with $500 but would like my first buy to be $50-$100 just in case i mess up. I was reading that if you lose access to your wallet your assed out. Thanks

Eternal Tecate

Superstar
Daps
Sorry but none of it works like you think it does.

Miners neither control nor can they "hack the entire system".
I plan to purchase bitcoin. any tips or advice ya give me will be appreciated.

I did some research and to buy bitcoin i need a wallet. Bitcoin's website is recommending BRD and Electrum. Next i can buy off coinbase after setting up an account.

Does this sound right or should i do it another way? I plan to just buy and hold long term - super long term, just hold and sit on it. I plan on starting up with $500 but would like my first buy to be $50-$100 just in case i mess up. I was reading that if you lose access to your wallet your assed out. Thanks

Set up your wallet. Write down your words. Stow them away. Try to memorize them. Then sign up for an exchange, coinbase, kraken, binance, Gemini whatever. Coinbase doesn't have all of them but if you only want bitcoin that's probably best.

You can send crypto to and from your exchange account to your wallet. They have specific addresses.

Jblaze204

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Uptown NY
Set up your wallet. Write down your words. Stow them away. Try to memorize them. Then sign up for an exchange, coinbase, kraken, binance, Gemini whatever. Coinbase doesn't have all of them but if you only want bitcoin that's probably best.

You can send crypto to and from your exchange account to your wallet. They have specific addresses.
thanks

50CentStan

Allahu Akbar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Ummah!

Wait, why set up a wallet? Can't you just leave your BTC in your coinbase account? Whats the downside/upside?

FabTrey

Superstar
Daps
BTC - holding strong. in at 18k. just .3

ETH is what i've been eating with. wish i had more.

XRP - i might as well just load it up. not too worried about it.

LINK - anybody know if there is a upcoming news? this has been too quiet.

Eternal Tecate

Superstar
Daps
Wait, why set up a wallet? Can't you just leave your BTC in your coinbase account? Whats the downside/upside?

Cold storage can't be taken away from you. It's true ownership, which is sort of the point of crypto. Hot storage is at the mercy of the exchange.

One upside to hot storage that was recently relevant is if something like XRP is tanking you can get out immediately without the lag time of sending your crypto from your wallet back to the exchange and waiting for it to get confirmed before being allowed to trade it.