Yung Knickas Wildin|Draft Picks Stylin|Grimes n Mcbride Got Bball God's Smilin NYK Discussion Thread

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas
frank2.jpg
tenor.gif

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
"I thought the whole draft would last for two hours. But I noticed that after two hours, we were in 20 picks only," Jokubaitis smiled.

It should have been an even longer night for Rokas. Mostly because he thought he would be selected with the 44th pick. Jokubaitis made a poll with his friends before the draft, guessing the number of his selection. Just for fun.

Jokubaitis wrote down the No. 44. Not just because he had read ESPN's Mock Draft. Before July 29, the Brooklyn Nets were showing serious interest in Jokubaitis. Brooklyn's people approached the 20-year old combo guard and invited him to come for a workout.

However, Jokubaitis camp decided that his presence in the United States won't make a huge difference. So Barcelona player chose to follow the draft at home in Lithuania.

„I thought that I would be the 44th or later. That pick was the most realistic to me," Jokubaitis revealed to BasketNews.

When the second round of the NBA draft started, Jokubaitis and his friends leaned closer to the TV.

Jokubaitis was a bit surprised. On the screen, he saw Deputy Commissioner Mark Tatum announcing the 32nd pick when he received a text message.

"No. 34! Congratulations! Good job!" Jokubaitis agent texted him.

"It was a fun night. You can experience it only once in a lifetime," Jokubaitis told BasketNews. "I didn't expect to be drafted so early. No. 34... We were suggesting No. 39 at the earliest... Like real Lithuanians, we were shy and didn't set high expectations. So the 34th draft pick made me happy. It was a fun night."

The Knicks surprised Jokubaitis. They didn't approach him personally before the draft. The Brooklyn Nets and Memphis Grizzlies did, showing significant interest during the pre-draft process. There were also Minnesota Timberwolves and Charlotte Hornets kicking tires for their potential second-round selections.

- Congratulations on being drafted by the New York Knicks. But 10 days ago, you officially signed a contract with Barcelona until 2025. What's next? The Summer League? New York or Barcelona?
- I'm still waiting for the news about the Summer League. If I'm going to the United States now, later I will go straight to Barcelona from there, which means I won't see my family and friends before the season.

But I would love to test myself in the Summer League. I want to show what I can do and to check how they play there.

- What are your chances of coming to New York immediately, starting with the next season?
- I was told that if I were drafted, I would be stashed. I think it's the most realistic scenario. After a good season in Europe, I could come to work out for the team or play in the Summer League and fight for the roster spot.

You have to expect the best. It would be perfect if I had the chance to choose between New York or Barcelona. However, it would be a tough decision.

In my opinion, the most likely scenario for me is staying in Europe at least for one more year.

- Hypothetically, if it was up to you, you go straight to New York or Barcelona?
- I knew you'd ask me this (laughs). It's so tough to say... First of all, I want to see from inside how they work in the USA, to see the players, coaching staff. Then it would be easier to decide.

I prefer Europe so far. But I was never so close to the NBA. Now, after this draft night, I can talk about the NBA more seriously.

It's so weird because I always considered myself a European-style basketball player. That would be a tough decision...

- What did you learn about making difficult decisions from your experience deciding to leave your first team Zalgiris for Barcelona this summer?
- I learned that the faster you decide, the better it will be for you. My family members and close friends also advised me to make up my mind quickly because then I will need to deal with the consequences, which is easier.

- What did you learn about your new NBA team in less than 24 hours?
- The organization, this franchise... Madison Square Garden... These are the first things that come to your mind.

They're back to the playoffs. The Knicks were one of the teams who came back from the bottom. I see they have a clear direction now.

Once I played against RJ Barrett in an exhibition game with the Lithuania youth team. I remember him dunking over our big man's head...

I thought they would go deeper into the playoffs. After coming back to the playoffs, the expectations were so high that it was hard to deal with the loss against the Atlanta Hawks. The Knicks fans are so emotional. You probably remember Kristaps Porzingis's story...

- That's the thing I wanted to ask you... What were your first interactions with the Knicks fans?
- I checked their Facebook page, and I've read the comments. And I saw people texting 'who's this guy,' 'Tingis Pingis' and something like that (laughs).

It's going to be interesting. But the whole franchise is moving forward.

- NBA scouts make long-term rookie projections. From the player's standpoint, what kind of projection of yourself you had in your mind, trying to figure out how you could adapt to the NBA game in the future?
- You put yourself in the NBA rookie position and try to imagine how you would make things out. You think how you would play. For example, you think about your strengths. I try to compare the Euroleague and the NBA and think about what I can do on a high level. For example, to read the pick and roll game.

But of course, the speed or the athleticism is so different. When you think about the transition defense, and you imagine two huge guys coming at you...

- Like Kawhi Leonard and Paul George?
- Yes. And they're running at you. In the Euroleague, we have smart fouls. But do they use it in the NBA?

It's a mix of positive thoughts and some concerns. The game is so different, so the Summer League experience would help me to understand it better.
Jokubaitis talks amusing NBA draft night, Knicks surprise, and his future with Barcelona

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
If Grimes can be a Brogdon-lite then I'm happy about that pick. Lots of high character, high motor guys. Not very exciting but can be good contributors quickly and still have upside.

Free agency has to be played very smart.
Are we SURE the Knicks don’t have free agency completed already? What if this draft is telling us they already know exactly who this team will be next season. Free agency is in just a week. We know these deals get done weeks in advanced. For instance the Knicks knew they weren’t getting KD before free agency opened that year.

ikbm

Formerly ikillbabymamas
Daps
Reppin
Spread Love - The Player Way
Anyone see a lil Dillon Brooks in Grimes? :patrice:

I can tell he a Kobe stan too
much much better shooter than dillon brooks.
brooks might edge him out defensively...even though he fouls A LOT
brooks plays bully ball too shielding defenders from the ball with his body even if his handle isnt the most crisp
grimes has toolkit to get a bucket on his own...but when he starts dribbling its to get back to a jumper
I kinda see gary trent jr in him....but a better defender.
can catch and shoot, can do dribble hand offs, can come off screens. can manipulate closeouts and get better looks.
him wearing the #20 made me think of allan houston on top of his picture perfect form on his jumper with his high jump on his jumper....
but allan had a post up game from 13-17 feet. granted it was a different time and players needed that arsenal more.
he says he looks up to booker, murray, and beal.
he had a high pedigree coming into college but had to find himself at another program
him at the combine cooking.
has a quick ass release too