Yung Knickas Wildin|Draft Picks Stylin|Grimes n Mcbride Got Bball God's Smilin NYK Discussion Thread

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
ok...

Thibs gave IQ playing time only because we were severely depleted at PG/SG...

who's the backup for Julius at PF?

Show up when your name is called :mjtf: we're talking about rookies here....

$10M for 2 years? i'd show up for that...

Obi Toppin

During a pandemic year, without summer league and limited pre-season action, you're expecting a rookie who is told to be Channing Frye and stand in the corner to figure it out?

Channing avg 12 ppg rookie year. Obi is 33% of that. is 4 ppg for #8 pick enough? Frye was also drafted #8.

channing frye 2005 stats - Google Search

I don't understand your comments regarding Randle & RJ :gucci:

take a deep breath, recollect your thoughts, think logically, and put your feelings to the side.

not trying to be an a$$hole but my answers were all common sense.
Feelings :mjlol: I never watched Obi in college, nor did I follow any pre-draft hype or get invested in anything regarding his life. What I don't like is high draft picks being wasted and the organization getting a pass. It's easy to call youth a bust, put all the blame on him and move on.

I didn't watch him in college but I can tell you he's not spot up shooter. High arching shots, hesitation, airballs, he doesn't look to me like the guy that you stick in the corner to watch other people play. He's not treated as a lottery pick but as an afterthought.

It looks to me like you're the one that should take a deep breath to comprehend what I was saying about RJ being frozen out by Payton and Randle last season.

If you watched last season at all you would remember RJ being looked off constantly last year but he had the luxury of Fizdale and Mills/Perry doubling down on him since Randle/free agents were a disaster. RJ had guaranteed 30 minutes a game, could play through errors and figure out holes in his game that needed improvement.

While Obi on the other hand is frozen out as well, guards always pass up on throwing him lobs, no plays cutting to the hoop and gets one post up a game. And doesn't get the leeway RJ got from the coaching staff.

obi.png

rj.png

Look at these numbers and tell me that Thibs wouldn't treat RJ the same way as Obi if he was coaching last season :stopitslime:

Daniel.

BK to NJ, but always a New York Knicka
Daps
ok...

Thibs gave IQ playing time only because we were severely depleted at PG/SG...

who's the backup for Julius at PF?

Show up when your name is called :mjtf: we're talking about rookies here....

$10M for 2 years? i'd show up for that...

Obi Toppin

During a pandemic year, without summer league and limited pre-season action, you're expecting a rookie who is told to be Channing Frye and stand in the corner to figure it out?

Channing avg 12 ppg rookie year. Obi is 33% of that. is 4 ppg for #8 pick enough? Frye was also drafted #8.

channing frye 2005 stats - Google Search

I don't understand your comments regarding Randle & RJ :gucci:

take a deep breath, recollect your thoughts, think logically, and put your feelings to the side.

not trying to be an a$$hole but my answers were all common sense.

At the risk of sounding "emotional", speaking on another man's point....

1.) Damn near no one is Randles backup, he's playing 37 minutes a game. That's 11 minutes left for PF duties, not exactly a lot of time for your prize #8 pick to develop any significant rhythm in-game. Taj is averaging more minutes than him as the big off the bench as an old vet that plays a specific role out there - not the same for a rookie still trying to learn the pro game. And yes, I say that recognizing that Quickley is showing out at the same time - development is different for everyone - having more chances with trash options at point certainly helps, but he's also being used to his strengths.

2.) Frye averaged twice as many minutes as Obi, started damn near 1/4 of the time despite having Eddy Curry, David Lee, Antonio Davis, Mo Taylor and Malik Rose all on the roster at his position. That means despite having all that competition, he still got play. Thibs, known for running nikkas until the wheels fall off, isn't as inclined to give his #8 pick the same shine at the expense of Randle's star play.

You're doubling down on a point for a trash comparison. This is the same contextless narratives around Frank some of yall make and it's weirdo shyt.

Obi isn't being used to his strengths. He's playing behind the guy he was set to replace that is having a career year under a coach that rides his players into the ground and is singularly focused on winning, not development. He didn't have a summer league to test out this role they're using him in, he's not getting consistent play to work the kinks out and he's being used in a role that highlights his weaknesses instead of his strengths.

All of that is true, in addition to him being rookie that is going to have an adjustment period, despite any claims to being NBA ready. He has plenty to work on. He's not playing well. But it's not as simple as dude just needing to call his own number and show up because he's being paid 10 mil a year. Stop being obtuse.

dave

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
At the risk of sounding "emotional", speaking on another man's point....

1.) Damn near no one is Randles backup, he's playing 37 minutes a game. That's 11 minutes left for PF duties, not exactly a lot of time for your prize #8 pick to develop any significant rhythm in-game. Taj is averaging more minutes than him as the big off the bench as an old vet that plays a specific role out there - not the same for a rookie still trying to learn the pro game. And yes, I say that recognizing that Quickley is showing out at the same time - development is different for everyone - having more chances with trash options at point certainly helps, but he's also being used to his strengths.

2.) Frye averaged twice as many minutes as Obi, started damn near 1/4 of the time despite having Eddy Curry, David Lee, Antonio Davis, Mo Taylor and Malik Rose all on the roster at his position. That means despite having all that competition, he still got play. Thibs, known for running nikkas until the wheels fall off, isn't as inclined to give his #8 pick the same shine at the expense of Randle's star play.

You're doubling down on a point for a trash comparison. This is the same contextless narratives around Frank some of yall make and it's weirdo shyt.

Obi isn't being used to his strengths. He's playing behind the guy he was set to replace that is having a career year under a coach that rides his players into the ground and is singularly focused on winning, not development. He didn't have a summer league to test out this role they're using him in, he's not getting consistent play to work the kinks out and he's being used in a role that highlights his weaknesses instead of his strengths.

All of that is true, in addition to him being rookie that is going to have an adjustment period, despite any claims to being NBA ready. He has plenty to work on. He's not playing well. But it's not as simple as dude just needing to call his own number and show up because he's being paid 10 mil a year. Stop being obtuse.

obtuse? you just called me a triangle :pachaha:

Feelings :mjlol: I never watched Obi in college, nor did I follow any pre-draft hype or get invested in anything regarding his life. What I don't like is high draft picks being wasted and the organization getting a pass. It's easy to call youth a bust, put all the blame on him and move on.

I didn't watch him in college but I can tell you he's not spot up shooter. High arching shots, hesitation, airballs, he doesn't look to me like the guy that you stick in the corner to watch other people play. He's not treated as a lottery pick but as an afterthought.

It looks to me like you're the one that should take a deep breath to comprehend what I was saying about RJ being frozen out by Payton and Randle last season.

If you watched last season at all you would remember RJ being looked off constantly last year but he had the luxury of Fizdale and Mills/Perry doubling down on him since Randle/free agents were a disaster. RJ had guaranteed 30 minutes a game, could play through errors and figure out holes in his game that needed improvement.

While Obi on the other hand is frozen out as well, guards always pass up on throwing him lobs, no plays cutting to the hoop and gets one post up a game. And doesn't get the leeway RJ got from the coaching staff.

obi.png

rj.png

Look at these numbers and tell me that Thibs wouldn't treat RJ the same way as Obi if he was coaching last season :stopitslime:

you’re saying RJ was being frozen out last year but he still managed to put up 14 ppg. If Obi is in the same scenario this year, wouldn’t his 4 ppg pale in comparison? I think your argument is their rookie year playing time; RJ’s 30 mins vs. Obi’s ~10?

Daniel.

BK to NJ, but always a New York Knicka
Daps
obtuse? you just called me a triangle :pachaha:

you’re saying RJ was being frozen out last year but he still managed to put up 14 ppg. If Obi is in the same scenario this year, wouldn’t his 4 ppg pale in comparison? I think your argument is their rookie year playing time; RJ’s 30 mins vs. Obi’s ~10?

I'm out :laff:

TOAD99

Veteran
Daps
If Vuc went to the bulls for two firsts, we can probably get Fournier for the low honestly