Ys IX: Monstrum Nox (Feb 2nd, 2021 PS4) (Summer 2021, NS/PC)

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Just got the game from gamefly this week, didn't like it at first, it has grown me. Did anyone play it on a higher difficult y than hard mode?
Currently playing it on nightmare and the difficulty feels very similar to Viii’s difficulty. Just like in Viii mastering and combining Flash guard and Flash move is the key.

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just beat it, I don't think the game is that great, not better than 7, 8.
Looking forward to ys x :obama:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Just beat it, I don't think the game is that great, not better than 7, 8.
Looking forward to ys x :obama:
Dang, I was coming in here to say I need to start this, and was hoping it's actually good. I really haven't heard much noise over it, but I didn't over the last one either and I loved it.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Dang, I was coming in here to say I need to start this, and was hoping it's actually good. I really haven't heard much noise over it, but I didn't over the last one either and I loved it.

Ys is always going to be a niche franchise at the end of the day. But the JRPG community loved this game outside of visuals obviously.

I have been meaning to post my full thoughts on the game, but since you loved Viii you will really enjoy this one.

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
Just started Yakuza 0 last night so this game is going to be put on ice.

Returnal, Ratchet and Clank, P5 Royal.

Being fed too well.

Btw, it's on sale until the 29th I believe on PSN

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
This is crazy because I remember seeing the first Y's game on display for TurboGrafx-16 in a K-Mart around 1989. :wow:

Fred.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
I finished this a few weeks ago and here are my thoughts as I gush about it.

I played this on my PS5 and performance-wise it was very meh. It was a constant stable 60 FPS which is great. However, even though it runs at 1080P the textures at times can be kind of bad. This part annoys me since Tales of Berseria, which also has the same performance looks better. And that is 2016 games developed for both the PS3 and PS4. No way in it a hindrance on the gameplay since I loved the game. But I think it is fair to point out this issue. The 4k patch should fix this issue though.

Gameplay-wise it feels like a true sequel to Ys VIII. The Grimwald Nox essentially is what the raid battles were in Viii. Although they seemed more chaotic. The one change is the use of gifts. Anyone who played Celceta remembered how each character had a unique skill in the overworld. The same kind of the idea here, except these gifts, are shared between all of the Monstrums. Plus they are very useful in combat depending on the area you are fighting in. With that being said this is probably the easiest modern Ys game. Which IMO nightmare is the difficulty I would recommend playing on. It stays challenging enough throughout the whole game, but never once does it feel cheap.

The soundtrack is amazing when just looking at it on its own merits. But as someone coming from Celceta and Ys Viii. The OST is definitely worse than those games. Easily a 9.5 / 10 for me.

Just like in Viii. I think the way sidequests are done is terrific. Each side quest allows you to know more about each of the characters including the ones at your home base. And IMO none of them are tedious.

The story is actually very interesting and I do believe that it is more consistent than Viii's story at the beginning. But it doesn't reach the highs that Viii, which made it my favorite PS4 JRPG.

Adol - Honestly for me Adol is kind of setting the standard for what I expect out of a silent Protagonist. He doesn't feel like a hindrance at all compared to characters like Hero, Byleth. In fact, he has a good amount of personality especially towards the end of the game. Combat wise as expected he is your best character, but that shouldn't come as a surprise.

The revelation of their two Adol's was something I never understand until the reveal of the Homunculi. But I still wasn't the biggest fan of it here. Going from Viii where you can control Dana in her 3 unique classes exclusively in her timeline to controlling a limited Adol felt underwhelming. Still, the storyline behind it was interesting though.

Krysha - It is kind of weird that she is considered Adol's love interest in this game. (Although that comes from Krysha's side mostly.) She is one character that you will like right away. The way they show her growing independently from her family was very well done. I liked her character arc here. With that said combat-wise, she is decent, but honestly, Yufa kind of makes her irrelevant. But still, up till that point, she is very useful. Although her attacks are quicker than Yufa's so that is one thing she has going for her.

Credo - Out of all the party members he is by far the most entertaining and very interesting. Talk about a character who is absolutely insane. And he portrayed greatly in this regard. The constant bickering towards Aprilis and Adol never got old to me. Combat wise I would compare her to Laxia from Viii. Attacks are quick and have a good area of effect.

Anemona - IMO the most interesting Monstrum. Her backstory of actually being a doll that came to life through experiments was very unexpected. But she by far goes through the most development. Seeing Aprilis "killed" and seeing the trauma of her memories returning to her was heartbreaking. The bond between her and Aprilis was very cute and well down showing their relationship. Combat wise she is very similar to Dana with weaker skills. Still, I kept her as the 3rd party member for all of the boss encounters once she joined the party.

Yufa - I honestly was surprised by her reveal as the Raging Bull. But it was done excellently. She might be the least interesting of the group in all honestly. Since her story mainly just surrounds her siblings and her boyfriend. This isn't a bad thing by any means. Now combat is where she really shines. Everyone remembers how awful using Sahad was in Viii since he was so slow. They fixed all the negatives from him with Yufa. For someone caring a giant Axe, her attacks and animations are surprisingly quick. IMO along with Adol, she should be at the party at all times.

Jules - His story was kind of weird and depressing at the same time. At first, he starts out as this brat, but once you learn about the feelings of betrayal he feels about his father you understand why. Although once they get back to understanding each other it was very heartwarming. With being said combat wise he feels awful due to how slow he is. He definitely feels like a nerfed Hummel from Ys VIII. I barely used him much in all honestly.

Aprilis - One thing I don't understand is how she isn't playable. Like I do get they want to differentiate her from Dana. But there is so much to that final dungeon in terms of story content that would have been better explained if we had more time with her. Still, I think she is still a very good character. And as the story progresses she definitely warms up to the rest of the party as she begins to trust Adol more and more.

The story here is very good. The big surprise that the Crimson King and all the characters (besides Anemona) you have been using are just Homunculi/ copies of Adol and the rest of them. It does make you wonder are these characters are actually real people and are their emotions real? Although that gets answered very quickly. Also, Chatelard was a terrific villain. He clearly did all he did because that was his vision of justice. Unfortunately at the end of the day, he was also a Homunculus and he met his end.

The last portion of the story when you meet Zola whom Anemona calls"father" is where the story runs into some pacing issues. This is where I do believe going back to the past using Aprilis would have been a great idea. Not only would of you learned more about her when she wasn't a Homunculus, but you get to see the original forms for Jules, Yufa, Credo, and Krysha. As well as seeing the human forms of the mid-bosses from the final dungeon.

Also, the final boss felt very meh. He is some kind of super god of sorts who goes mad. It is not terribly done since we do get to talk to Dana and the other divine beings after it's all over. But I definitely felt it could have been done better.

Overall I finished at 50 hrs doing all the main story, side quests, and bosses. I do feel that the game would have benefited from having one more chapter.

So overall despite the few flaws that I had I think this is a phenomenal game and is a must-play for any JRPG fan. Hell if you love action games I think it is worth a try as well. Although I would strongly recommend playing Viii since it feels like this game kind of assumes you played it beforehand.

Ys has turned into one of my absolute favorite franchises and I am excited for the direction that X takes as well as playing all the other games in this series outside of V.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Damn shame this didn’t reach more of the jrpg community :francis:

Overall it’s better than 8 and like @tripleaamin its one of my favorites if anyone is in a gaming drought I suggest you try this again one very dope game

IMO it reached the JRPG community, but beyond that, it got ignored which bothers me to a degree. But graphics aside both Viii and IX have everything that you want out of a great JRPG and to me have set the standard for Action JRPG's.

Also, I would like to point out that this whole series is dope. More specifically VII and Celceta. While Celceta is definitely worse than these two it was a super fun game with a fun story, great characters, and top-notch gameplay and music. Haven't played VII yet but I have heard great things about it and it is the one that started the party system you see now.