Y'all Taking Advantage of MIT, Yale, Stanford, and Harvard's Open Course Learning?

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
:shaq: sorry neega

so can dis shet go on resume o?

Me personally, I would put my certificate on my resume showing that I completed a Computer Science course . I mean, if nothing else, it shows my interest in the field and my willingness to continue learning (which is HUGE in IT).

:whoa: Now with that being said, maintain the idea of this breh...

This is all about self-education and then possibly building skills, breh. Some people will get the idea and grasp the opportunity, most won't. But I can guarantee you that there will be a few go-getters on this site that will go hard on those courses like they're a regular student at the institution and will be able to translate that new knowledge into an applicable manner that they will prove rewarding for them in the future. Just my theory breh :manny:

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Mark Cuban Trying to put people up on game:

Mark Cuban Warns: For Smart Students, the Days of One School for 4 Years are Over

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban might admit an MBA is an absolute waste of money, but he won’t tell high school students they shouldn’t go to college. They just need to attend a college guaranteed to stay in business instead.

Cuban compared university and college systems to the newspaper industry in his latest blog post, writing:

The newspaper industry was once deemed indestructible. Then this thing called the Internet came along and took away their classified business. The problem wasn’t really that their classifieds disappeared. It was more that they had accumulated a ton of debt and had over invested in physical plant and assets that could not adapt to the new digital world.

Of course, when revenue goes down, debt goes up, and the newspaper industry’s purchased buildings and printing presses only decreased in value. Cuban warns the exact same thing is happening to the country’s four-year schools.

A recent survey by Northeastern proved the higher education system needs to change, and it needs to change now. Sixty percent of respondents described the nation’s school system as “fair” or “poor,” while another 60 percent said they believe an online degree provides a similar quality of education.

Cuban would agree.

For the smart student who cares about getting their money’s worth from college, the days of one school for four years are over. The days of taking on big debt (to the tune of 1 TRILLION DOLLARS as I write this) are gone. Going to a four-year school is supposed to be the foundation from which you create a future, not the transaction that crushes everything you had hoped to do because you have more debt than you could possibly pay off in 10 years. It makes no sense.

His advice to students is to take all the basics online. Why pay for an introduction to physics when it’s on Udacity, or intermediate algebra when it’s on Coursera? From there, figure out which school you want to transfer to, or, if you’re self-disciplined enough, continuing down the online route and avoid the debt.

Students need to be aware of how much debt their desired school is in. Just look at Worcester State University. The institution has resorted to charging students a $72 parking/pedestrian access fee, all to cover a $45 million athletic complex, full-scale library renovation and new dorms. Yet, if students could choose between more parking and cheaper tuition or a new dorm, the likelihood is they would choose the former. Cuban is right: new buildings don’t add value to any child’s education.

Colleges will continue to argue the on-campus experience is still worth the money, though. Even MIT President Anant Agarwal argued comparing edX to MIT is like comparing a Toyota to a Ferrari, but no student will ever be able to afford a Ferrari when they’re saddled with an average $27,000 in student loan debt.

Cuban says he sees colleges and universities failing much like the newspaper industry did long before the class of 2018 graduates. It’s up to students, however:

…to assemble an educational plan that gets you on your path of knowledge and discovery without putting you at risk of attending a school that is doomed to fail, and/or saddling you with a debt heavy balance sheet that prevents you from taking the chances, searching for the opportunities or just being a f*ck up for a while. We each take our own path, but nothing shortcuts the dreams of a 22-year-old more than owing a shytload of money.

And who can disagree with that?

Mark Cuban on Higher Education | BostInno

darkmanp

Pro
Daps
Reppin
VA
This is the real deal. I'm taking an economics course on coursera and an intro to computer programming.

Bruh Man 5th Flo

Peeeeeeaaaaccceeee ✌️
Daps
Reppin
Every cotdam inch of GA..except the racist parts
First of all, one has to truly applaud Universities such as Stanford, MIT, Harvard, UC Berkeley, and Yale for leading the charge in OpenCourse learning. They are virtually allowing the public to access lectures from the world’s greatest thinkers in various subjects/programs for free. This is great for anyone that loves knowledge, looking to develop a new skill, or even a new college student that wants to see what its like to be in a top-flight Engineering or Mathematics program before committing to a major. They upload the syllabus for the class, give assignments, and it can be graded. You can also communicate with other students on the message boards.

Me, I'm currently engaged in MIT's Electrical Engineering and Computer Science program. I"m also viewing Harvard's Computer Science courses to keep my knowledge of Computation and Computational Thinking fresh and updated.

Also, MIT, Harvard and Stanford actually allow users to sign up and receive certificates and get credit after completing certain courses through edx.org :ohhh:.

For anyone out there that want the opportunity to increase their knowledge from some of the world's best professors, just click on the links and :eat:. Some of you might just learn some new skills while you're at it :leon:. Anyways, I challenge all of you to pick a subject and go through all the lectures in the course and let this be the beginning of learning something useful and new :obama: for free :krs:

MIT - MIT OpenCourseWare | Free Online Course Materials
Yale - Open Yale Courses
Harvard - Harvard Open Courses for Free | Open Learning Initiative
Stanford - Stanford School of Engineering - Stanford Engineering Everywhere
UC Berkely - webcast.berkeley | UC Berkeley Video and Podcasts for Courses & Events
The World's Courses, Online, For Free (Duke, Georgia Tech, Michigan, Ohio State, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, etc.) - https://www.coursera.org/
Free online learning, Math, Science and Economics, Humanities, Test Prep - https://www.khanacademy.org/

my fellow ATLien,,,,,, :salute: