Yall Sleeping on NBC's New Family Show "This Is Us"

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
pretty much

A lot of the dudes on here can see the past the weeds. they have handled Randall character great. shyt, they even had the episode where they had to confront his racist grandmom.

Or the episode where his mom clearly didn’t know how to take care of his hair and she got schooled by the black women at the pool. The show doesn’t paint his parents as perfect by any means and they’re learning just as much as he is

Last edited:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Or the episode where his mom clearly didn’t know how to take care of his hair and she gone schooled by the black women at the pool. The show doesn’t paint his parents as perfect by any means and they’re learning just as much as he is
Yup

The haircut episode was good. Or the moments he was looking for his parents.

shyt there was a story arc last year regarding how he fell out with his mom over not telling him about William.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
The show has a couple of great black writers that they really lean on for Randall’s story and it fukking shows. They’re handling race perfectly. The episode where they went to adopt Randall officially and the black judge said no cause he didn’t feel like they could raise a black son was so dope. Actually got me and a coworker into a really good discussion on race cause he felt like the judge was dead wrong and i replied “he’s wrong, but he’s not wrong.”

I laughed everytime i saw that Pelle Pelle in this last episode...

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
The show has a couple of great black writers that they really lean on for Randall’s story and it fukking shows. They’re handling race perfectly. The episode where they went to adopt Randall officially and the black judge said no cause he didn’t feel like they could raise a black son was so dope. Actually got me and a coworker into a really good discussion on race cause he felt like the judge was dead wrong and i replied “he’s wrong, but he’s not wrong.”

I laughed everytime i saw that Pelle Pelle in this last episode...

Yeah I completely understood where he was coming from even if I disagreed with him. But like I said that’s what I like about the show. It’s sweet as hell and emotional but it doesn’t go for easy. That’s a complex issue as an older black man knowing what Randall is going to be faced with down the line and wondering if two white parents can aptly prepare him for that.

What makes it work though is Rebecca. She says she doesn’t have a favorite but clearly Randall is her favorite lol and she is a fukking mama bear when it comes to him. And part of that means showing him the truth and not shielding him from it because she wants to be aware of the bullshyt coming his way. shyt gets me misty every time

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
Is this season good?

I couldn't take walking into the emotional minefield blind anymore - I saw the set-up - the newly adopted kid, a wedding in the offing, the dad's funeral flashbacks.... NBC aren't gonna catch me slipping like they did when they killed William, again:mjcry:

I'm going to wait until it's done and rip the band-aid off real quick with a binge

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Is this season good?

I couldn't take walking into the emotional minefield blind anymore - I saw the set-up - the newly adopted kid, a wedding in the offing, the dad's funeral flashbacks.... NBC aren't gonna catch me slipping like they did when they killed William, again:mjcry:

I'm going to wait until it's done and rip the band-aid off real quick with a binge

You should slap yourself for asking if this season is good

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
You should slap yourself for not watching 'Atlanta' :sas1:

A simple yes or no would have sufficed.

:russ: Fair enough

Yeah it’s good. Last three episodes have been kinda deep though and based on what you said it might be an uppercut for you. Especially the Kevin one :picard:

Matter of fact Kevin this whole season is:picard::to::damn:

PlayerNinety_Nine

Daps
:russ: Fair enough

Yeah it’s good. Last three episodes have been kinda deep though and based on what you said it might be an uppercut for you. Especially the Kevin one :picard:

Matter of fact Kevin this whole season is:picard::to::damn:

:ehh: Kevin's a famous White dude in Trump's America. He'll be aight. Unless he burned his face off in a terrible accident :ohhh:

Or he forced actresses to watch him jerk off :damn:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
:ehh: Kevin's a famous White dude in Trump's America. He'll be aight. Unless he burned his face off in a terrible accident :ohhh:

Or he forced actresses to watch him jerk off :damn:

Nah man he’s got issues. Abuse issues just like his dad. And his shyt has kinda gone off the rails. Personally and professionally. Dude was taking pills and alcohol and drinking a bottle of vodka in front of his nieces early in the morning like it was milk

PlayerNinety_Nine

Daps
Nah man he’s got issues. Abuse issues just like his dad. And his shyt has kinda gone off the rails. Personally and professionally. Dude was taking pills and alcohol and drinking a bottle of vodka in front of his nieces early in the morning like it was milk

Booze was my first serious guess as to what it would be :snoop::francis:

Aight - I'm out of this thread until I've watched it.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Yeah I completely understood where he was coming from even if I disagreed with him. But like I said that’s what I like about the show. It’s sweet as hell and emotional but it doesn’t go for easy. That’s a complex issue as an older black man knowing what Randall is going to be faced with down the line and wondering if two white parents can aptly prepare him for that.

What makes it work though is Rebecca. She says she doesn’t have a favorite but clearly Randall is her favorite lol and she is a fukking mama bear when it comes to him. And part of that means showing him the truth and not shielding him from it because she wants to be aware of the bullshyt coming his way. shyt gets me misty every time

Legit cried when Kate fell into her arms btw. I’m not even the most emotional guy but that scene fukked me up.