StarClout

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Broncos/NYY/NYR/ALA
Copped for 42 bucks during last weeks PSN sale. Trying to finish Nioh before I start this and Persona. Anything I need to know going in?

llt23

All Star
Daps
Copped for 42 bucks during last weeks PSN sale. Trying to finish Nioh before I start this and Persona. Anything I need to know going in?

Not really better to go in blind and enjoy. If you find yourself really enjoying the game and dont wanna miss some sidequests there is a really good site to check out. But for now I'd say just turn it on and go

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Going from Nioh and Persona, the mechanics of Yakuza will show their age.
It has a formula akin to Shenmue. You may like it, and you may hate it.
The story is what has drawn me in the most. There's RPG elements in the game, but you'll find yourself doing the same couple of combos for each fight.
Personally I'm enjoying the game a lot.

llt23

All Star
Daps
The story is what has drawn me in the most. There's RPG elements in the game, but you'll find yourself doing the same couple of combos for each fight.

I think no matter what the playthrough is enjoyable. I could even see someone not even messing too much with the side content and still really enjoying the main story. It is the best story of any modern console game IMO.

Combat I didnt get used to until after the first boss. I actually had a lil trouble there. THe combat does open up though and allows you to have a lot of fun fukking shyt up with the special actions, weapons and diff fighting styles. I dont think the games mechanics felt 'old,' I'd say combat wise it feels arcade-ish and over the top which is really enjoyable. And diff enemy types will require diff strats, as will regular enemies later on in the game. So while the combat isnt exactly super deep, enemies do learn how to block, counter or power through your attacks so strategy does come into play

For reference this was also my first Yakuza game and I went in not knowing what to expect and I'd still say its the best single player game I played this gen even now that its been like half a year since I played it.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I think no matter what the playthrough is enjoyable. I could even see someone not even messing too much with the side content and still really enjoying the main story. It is the best story of any modern console game IMO.

Combat I didnt get used to until after the first boss. I actually had a lil trouble there. THe combat does open up though and allows you to have a lot of fun fukking shyt up with the special actions, weapons and diff fighting styles. I dont think the games mechanics felt 'old,' I'd say combat wise it feels arcade-ish and over the top which is really enjoyable. And diff enemy types will require diff strats, as will regular enemies later on in the game. So while the combat isnt exactly super deep, enemies do learn how to block, counter or power through your attacks so strategy does come into play

For reference this was also my first Yakuza game and I went in not knowing what to expect and I'd still say its the best single player game I played this gen even now that its been like half a year since I played it.
I've played the other Yakuza games. Yakuza 0 is the same as its predecessors. They added some combat styles but overall the game is unchanged. If you play any of the old yakuza games, or even Shenmue, the gameplay feels the same as Yakuza 0, hence it feeling dated.
It's also important to note to new comers that there is a massive amount of reading required with this game. Better to short sell the game, than to hype people up and be disappointed.

llt23

All Star
Daps
I've played the other Yakuza games. Yakuza 0 is the same as its predecessors. They added some combat styles but overall the game is unchanged. If you play any of the old yakuza games, or even Shenmue, the gameplay feels the same as Yakuza 0, hence it feeling dated.
It's also important to note to new comers that there is a massive amount of reading required with this game. Better to short sell the game, than to hype people up and be disappointed.
Definitely true on all points. So I can say I am bias because I just loved pretty much everything about this game. Gotta take my opinion with a grain of salt in that regard

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Definitely true on all points. So I can say I am bias because I just loved pretty much everything about this game. Gotta take my opinion with a grain of salt in that regard
I like the game a lot. I just try to give all sides when I'm speaking about a game. I've enjoyed a lot of sub par games in my lifetime. Yakuza 0 is far from perfect but for those that like the genre, it's definitely one of the best. I've argued that Yakuza is better than Shenmue and that Shenmue may even flop, especially in the United States because Yakuza took everything Shenmue did and polished it nearly to perfection.

NYChase718

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Have you ever played

250px-Ryū_ga_Gotoku_Ishin%21_cover.jpg

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The combat reminds me of Fighting Force on the PS1. I agree with whoever said the dodge is a bit random.

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
Just bought this and about an hour and half in.

This game is fukking awesome. The story is fun and just a good ole fashion beat em up combat is fun as hell. @Grand Conde is right. Reminds me of the old fighting force games. :wow:

just finished give bytch ass Kuze a beat down. Dude also got found out by the boss.:blessed: