full
Give thanks, breh.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Just picked up my steel book copy from best buy.
The steel book is one of the best I've seen. It looks incredible.
I wont be touching the game until I finish 0 though.
I believe I'm on chapter 7.
Yeah I love the steelbook. The way the girl on the cover of the case goes right into the clear part of the slip cover is very aesthetically appealing.

llt23

All Star
Daps
I finished the game. Something like 65ish percent completion. 40.5 hours.

Game had a really strong final chapter.

My only major complaint is that they probably should have balanced "Majima Everywhere" a little bit better. I reached SSS rank in it, but that required 50 battles against him. That is a lot of battles. Once you reach around 20 fights its like....ight breh I get it. In comparison I probably fought Mr Shakedown in 0 like 8 times total. Be prepared to fight this dude til infinity and beyond. Whenever I just wasnt in the mood I used the cab to avoid him. This isnt to bash this feature, it was actually fun, but doing anything 50 plus times gets repetitive, no matter how many diff weird ways he can find you and fight you, or how many styles he has.

Not only that, I didnt unlock all the moves from the Majima Everywhere stuff..I just couldnt deal with it anymore. Near the end Majima had a lot of health bars, took a decent amount of time even with a good strategy. Woulda preferred less fights and more rewards. As it stood I woulda had to fight him around 10 more times, including finding some special spawns to get all the stuff... This would just mean me putting everything aside and just looking for Majima instead of just playing the game.

I also didnt complete the coliseum and didnt get all the unlockable moves in general. The combat in this game I enjoy, but reality is I lose interest when you are just fighting for an unlock rather than fighting for a reason. Gets tedious.

I missed out on like 6-10 substories. Kinda wack cause I enjoy the substoriesbut its fine....I still did like 58. :yeshrug:

Substories a lot of the time had a lot less depth than 0. Not as much comedy either. Most of them are just "beat this guy up over there" or a fetch quest. Not as fleshed out as 0. Only a few that I did were more in depth and there were a few really good ones that added to the story. Gotta remember its a remake of the first game so this is all to be expected.

Overall great game, but gotta play 0 first. I could someone playing this first and being like ehhh yeah im good I aint buying 0. Naaaah 0 is a must play for any gamer, and Kiwami then continues the story.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Should i cop?
Yes. I would play Yakuza 0 first though.
The part that shines most about this game is its story.
You don't NEED to play Yakuza 0 first, especially since the story really starts with part one (Yakuza Kiwami), but they did an exceptional with Yakuza 0 and it really adds to the overall impact of part one.
I was very familiar with the Yakuza series before these remakes, (I didn't beat all of them but I own Yakuza 2,3,4, and Dead Souls) but Yakuza 0 makes certain aspects of the story which I won't spoil much better, especially as it pertains to Nishiyama (who is the main character's best friend).
Yakuza 0 is also written better than Yakuza Kiwami. Kiwami isn't bad, but again, especially given its age, but 0 really did take things to another level.

Story aside, the combat is repetitive but I find it fun enough to not be a chore.
I actually enjoy the RPG elements of the game, even if they aren't 100% necessary to progress.
You'll find that if you choose to level up your character you'll have much more fun with the combat as it opens up new moves that change the way you approach the battles.

The game world is pretty small. Most of it takes place in a small corner of Japan and you will do a lot of back and forth in that small area.
Not a huge deal since it makes sense in the context of the story to keep it in a "town" setting.

If you aren't familiar with the series I would compare it to Shenmue.

Wiles

Superstar
Daps
Yes. I would play Yakuza 0 first though.
The part that shines most about this game is its story.
You don't NEED to play Yakuza 0 first, especially since the story really starts with part one (Yakuza Kiwami), but they did an exceptional with Yakuza 0 and it really adds to the overall impact of part one.
I was very familiar with the Yakuza series before these remakes, (I didn't beat all of them but I own Yakuza 2,3,4, and Dead Souls) but Yakuza 0 makes certain aspects of the story which I won't spoil much better, especially as it pertains to Nishiyama (who is the main character's best friend).
Yakuza 0 is also written better than Yakuza Kiwami. Kiwami isn't bad, but again, especially given its age, but 0 really did take things to another level.

Story aside, the combat is repetitive but I find it fun enough to not be a chore.
I actually enjoy the RPG elements of the game, even if they aren't 100% necessary to progress.
You'll find that if you choose to level up your character you'll have much more fun with the combat as it opens up new moves that change the way you approach the battles.

The game world is pretty small. Most of it takes place in a small corner of Japan and you will do a lot of back and forth in that small area.
Not a huge deal since it makes sense in the context of the story to keep it in a "town" setting.

If you aren't familiar with the series I would compare it to Shenmue.
I love shenmue sold

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I love shenmue sold
So did I. Personally I think the Yakuza series is everything Shenmue was going for.
The combat in Shenmue is a little deeper than Yakuza, but everything else Yakuza does is better than Shenmue IMO.
Shenmue obviously plays like Akira from Virtua Fighter, where Yakuza plays like an arcade beat em up style game with RPG elements tide to the combat.

llt23

All Star
Daps
91EVC6fgs9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This is actually kind of dope. Yak 0 treated you like an adult in the game, took you seriously. And here they are, giving you a collector box that a grown man can actually use. Coasters and glasses brehs :obama:

Wiles

Superstar
Daps
91EVC6fgs9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This is actually kind of dope. Yak 0 treated you like an adult in the game, took you seriously. And here they are, giving you a collector box that a grown man can actually use. Coasters and glasses brehs :obama:
Drunken fist lol

Gee Mello

Pro
Daps
Same... It was wack seeing those VF cabs in the arcade and you cant play 'em. And we know Yak 6 or whatever number they are on does have VF5 playable i think which was the one on 360 :whew:

You can tell why this is 30 bucks instead of 60. Its more to experience the story with the new graphics/system.

Though i appreciate the additions they made. Majima being the new "mr shakedown" is pretty dope and they gave it better rewards than just getting money.

It was fukkery though seeing how
Nishiki
turned out. One of the prime reasons playing 0 makes it way more powerful. And just so many little things all over the place, but that was the big one.

Yakuza 0 is the perfect setup for the series. Regarding the spoiler, I like how Kiwami added scenes to show him coping with leadership, mistakes and etc...The games so far are what you want them to be, for me it's all about the side missions. You complete enough of those and the game just opens up in noticeable/ fun ways. A GTA-esque RPG, heavy handed in dialogue, definitely not for the politically correct folk.

Last edited:

Gee Mello

Pro
Daps
I only ever played the first in the series and although I likes the general flow of the game and wanted to play the rest, never got around to that shyt.

Copped both the remake and the prequel for ps4 and plan on giving this series a proper go starting from there.

Would it make sense to play the prequel before the remake story and gameplay wise?

I'm going to echo to sentiments of others, It's imperative to play 0 as there's content and storylines there that relate to all the way to Yakuza 4. It literally sells the other Yakuza games. For those who have already played those games, 0 gives you an interesting take on Goro Majima. The mini games, businesses to run, all good stuff.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I would have like to see more of Majima's transformation, also, a lot more of how the leadership in the Yakuza changed between the end of Yakuza 0 and the beginning of Yakuza 1.
A lot of great information got side-paneled when it could have been part of the the actual game.