Xbox Series S Won’t Play Xbox One X Enhancements.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
This is how Xbox Series S backwards compatibility really works

(1440p OG Xbox + enhanced 360 titles, 2x perf for select One S games)
tenor.gif

BODYBAG:wow:

I hope this strategy fails because it's bringing the PC complication into consoles. You shouldn't have to be thinking about if this SKU is going to be able to run said software in a certain way...especially in the beginning of the generation. Then when we have mid-get refreshes on the hardware then it's gonna be a matrix of which SKU can run which software in which way.
I think I understand your sentiment, but, it's backwards.

If this BC strategy is successful, efficient and smooth... it'll be a forgone conclusion that the future of consoles will implement it without question...or atleast the future Msft consoles/ecosystem.

If it fails...that's when people will wonder, with respect to new consoles, whether the collection of games they've owned from previous generations will be supported.

It's like the N64 rumble pack... if that would have failed...nikkas would have to cross their fingers hoping new systems would have it. But, it was successful, right? Every system, since, has implemented it and the Sony haptic feedback for PS5 is the descendant of that success

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
@Fatboi1
Based on your above comment, I must have severely misunderstood your earlier points, then.

What do you think about the new info confirming what the Series S will do with games with not using any X1X patch and instead handling games with its own enhancements?

Isn't this news that debunks the fear that some people had of Series S? Your comment about the "unlikeliness" of positive Series S enhancements/patches to games seems to be moot now, or am I misunderstood?

It's a 1440p system that'll maximize it's 1440p capabilities across damn near all games that you play on it. That's fukking great to me.:wow:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
@Fatboi1
Based on your above comment, I must have severely misunderstood your earlier points, then.

Severely is an understatement. Gravely misunderstood :wow:

What do you think about the new info confirming what the Series S will do with games with not using any X1X patch and instead handling games with its own enhancements?

Isn't this news that debunks the fear that some people had of Series S?

It's a 1440p system that'll maximize it's 1440p capabilities across damn near all games that you play on it. That's fukking great to me.:wow:
This isn't really that new(to me). This is what MSFT said when they showed the S but this "news" is just a more thorough breakdown. I said when the S was revealed that games will just simply run at better framerates for the game's initial targets whether that be an unlocked or capped framerate and this applies to the resolution to. This doesn't alleviate any fears of the S as this applies to current gen games. The fears if you can call it that pertains to upcoming titles that will be only for Series X and PS5. Adding the Series S into the mix muddies the water as some devs said it will be a hindrance in some respects. Every dev makes different games and has different ambitions so one dev saying otherwise to one who's concerned isn't a case closed response but just them not too worried since they probably aren't making the same thing.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That's not what people were saying :stopitslime:. You stay claiming people said XYZ.

They(MSFT) said that the S wouldn't play current gen games with the X1X patch but instead be updated(select games) to run with better performance. The ones that aren't though are still beholden to the caps originally set by the developer. This is exactly what Digital Foundry says in this article:

Let's circle back to when I said this EXACT same thing in laymen's terms:

Again, I assume a few 1st party titles to do this but all those games from third parties? I doubt it outside of a few popular ones.

Devil May Cry 5 SE is coming to PS5/Series S and X. Capcom not about to patch in 120fps for free.

Before someone goes "but but it can be updated!" That's what I said too.

What I said:

Basically, you must be crazy if you think the thousands of XB1 games will all be magically updated to run with double the performance.

It has to be patched in for these titles which I doubt most devs will do for older games which suck. That's what I said. Not about S not performing as well as the X which I feel is you deliberately trolling to make it look like I'm just running my mouth :mjlol:

All that other noise is stan shyt u making up in your head.
Man I wasn't even thinking of you directly with that post lol.

Over all the narrative was the xss wouldn't play games as well as the Xbox1 could.

And thats what people ran with, there wasn't nuance to it.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Over all the narrative was the xss wouldn't play games as well as the Xbox1 could.

Lol I know but I know some cats would read this and immediately think of me since I'm the most outspoken here. The narrative was that the Series S would just run games like the One S but with better performance which is what this news confirms. The patching is still needed which again is what I said and I don't think most devs will just patch every game they released. I can't speak for everyone but I feel like some of y'all somehow mistook that and thought the Series S would run games worse than XB1X which is dumb.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn

Yea, this was the negative narrative that I was most annoyed about.

It will play older games better than the X1.

"It's just a scam MSFT version of PS4 PRO!" <-- This seems to not be the case.

------
Yea, I definitely first thought of @Fatboi1 when it came to this news. Seeing what he is saying now...I realize that even if he was correct about the performance of older games...that's a win in my book.

The other concern about hindering new games? I don't think that'll be the case because I trust they'll be able to seamlessly apply a series S downscale. Clearly wishful thinking but, my gut has me optimistic.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yea, this was the negative narrative that I was most annoyed about.

It will play older games better than the X1.

"It's just a scam MSFT version of PS4 PRO!" <-- This seems to not be the case.

------
Yea, I definitely first thought of @Fatboi1 when it came to this news. Seeing what he is saying now...I realize that even if he was correct about the performance of older games...that's a win in my book.

The other concern about hindering new games? I don't think that'll be the case because I trust they'll be able to seamlessly apply a series S downscale. Clearly wishful thinking but, my gut has me optimistic.
It won't hinder a game as in make a game play or look terrible. The things that are held back you just won't know about it since the dev isn't going to talk about that. Graphically you can have games that look worlds apart between generations but structurally are the same. That's what people are bothered about. A "next gen" version of a cross gen game will not have any issues graphically but it will just be more of the same, a "prettier" version if you may. Perfect example:
AmbitiousHarshFanworms-size_restricted.gif

Same game but of course the PS4 version shyts all over the previous ones.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
It won't hinder a game as in make a game play or look terrible. The things that are held back you just won't know about it since the dev isn't going to talk about that. Graphically you can have games that look worlds apart between generations but structurally are the same. That's what people are bothered about. A "next gen" version of a cross gen game will not have any issues graphically but it will just be more of the same, a "prettier" version if you may. Perfect example:
AmbitiousHarshFanworms-size_restricted.gif

Same game but of course the PS4 version shyts all over the previous ones.
If I'm not going to notice, and done devs are not preaching do and gloom then the fact that those devs may have to work a little harder on shyt to make gamers experience some good shyt is okay.

It happened apparently with X1 being Weaker than the PS4, and it'll probably happen a bit with respect to certain features on Series X, PS5 and Series S.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Over all I think it's a silly thing to worry about when you start worrying about what potentially might be a problem for dev's in the long run. And even calling it a problem is a stretch, I could see if it was a significant issue that could cause major problems...but as it stands meh

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If I'm not going to notice, and done devs are not preaching do and gloom then the fact that those devs may have to work a little harder on shyt to make gamers experience some good shyt is okay.

It happened apparently with X1 being Weaker than the PS4, and it'll probably happen a bit with respect to certain features on Series X, PS5 and Series S.
You won't notice if you're not aware of things like mission design and world complexity etc. You couldn't have games like MGSV or The Witcher 3 running on Playstation 1.

PS4 and XB1 weren't far apart from each other so it's not an apt comparison. The X1 was weaker but it wasn't a big gulf in hardware.

PS4 was 1.84TF and X1 was 1.31TF. It just resulted in lower resolution/worse performance sometimes.

Series S is 4TF vs PS5's 10.3TF and Series X 12TF with less ram. Not the same.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
You won't notice if you're not aware of things like mission design and world complexity etc. You couldn't have games like MGSV or The Witcher 3 running on Playstation 1. PS4 and XB1 weren't far apart from each other so it's not an apt comparison.
Got you.

With all that being said, the more I hear and understand the Series S... I'm excited to be copping both the Series X(me) and Series S(my son).

November needs to be here already.:banderas:

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

Bringing this thread up as this guy gives a good explanation why the XSS won't play the X1X version of games. Its time stamped. Goes on to about 3 minutes.