Xbox got one Quantum Break 10/10 gamespot

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
This is what I will piggyback off of.

@Ciggavelli it is this idea that games and movies have a set number you can attach to it when it is interpreted in so many different ways by individuals. How can things so subjective have a number attached to them? There is no scale or absolute science to measure these games and we should not try to do so. The job argument on your end doesn't really make much sense because you and your employer have already agreed to a set number of defined standards that is expected from you. Video games cannot be boxed into these set of rules in any way imaginable. It is completely binary in terms of reviews - you either like the game or not. You can dock Titanfall 30 points for content, but many interested might find that the content provided is worth about 100 hours of gameplay...thus making the 30 points that the reviewer docked irrelevant. This can go on and on in several different ways people look to review a game.

I will use 2 Jeff Gerstmann reviews of games now to further prove my point as to why this system is absolute trash. Gerstmann reviewed Super Mario Sunshine for gamestop and gave it a "8.0 - GREAT" review...when it turns out that he really doesn't like the game all that much from all that he has said over the years on his podcast. Doesn't that come off as disingenuous to you? It does to me, why would I take anyone's reviews seriously if they rate a game as "GREAT", but then turns out that they don't like the game at all? I understand that he had to try to view the game "objectively" and try to rate it appropriately based on a number of factors, but the guy did not enjoy the package. The review should have been stamped with "Jeff doesn't like it" or something along those lines instead of a "review" trying to justify the number 8.0 listed right at the top of the page.

Fallout 4 is a recent game and Giantbomb actually gave that game TWO scores. 3 out of 5 on consoles and 4 out of 5 on the PC. It appears from all that I have heard in his podcasts...he doesn't care too much about Fallout 4 either. Once again coming off a bit disingenuous in order to hide behind this "objectivity" stance that so many reviewers in the game industry try to hide behind.

Review it based on how you feel about the overall package and A LOT of this bullshyt goes away. The Order 1886 getting a good review from the playstation magazine is going to raise a few eyebrows regardless, so why not remove the damn score. Stamp it with the way you feel so that the person can read your opinion on the piece, not a justification behind a score that doesn't mean much to anyone anyway.

Removing of the number also doesn't give a blanket numbered score to show how an entire staff feels about a title. So instead of Mario Sunshine receiving an 8.0, other editors can chime in and drop their 2 cents as well to get a better overall feeling as to what they feel about the game. 14 years later it looks as if the review was written the way it was to avoid backlash rather than sheer enjoyment of the title. The same can go both ways, it's just that his examples are the best I can come up with because of how popular he is and those 2 reviews that stood out to me.

I also assume that dropping the score will get people to read the actual review instead of just looking at the score, reading the short synopsis and going from there.
Replace a 100 point scale with a binary one, brehs.....:dead:

Pick out one reviewer to make an argument, brehs:heh:

A lot of review sites have a standard they go by. You gotta read the articles to actually know that though. :ufdup:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Yeah and that's fine man, but it just doesn't apply to games and media in general.
It does to me. 78 different opinions. Think about that for a second. 78 DIFFERENT OPINIONS. The good outweigh the bad. The 100s get countered by the 40s. It's the best system we got when you don't have a demo or beta to try out for yourself. You're just stuck in a "I hate numbers" phase and think things should be binary. A 10 point scale is better than a 2 point one in my book. It's just common sense

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
It does to me. 78 different opinions. Think about that for a second. 78 DIFFERENT OPINIONS. The good outweigh the bad. The 100s get countered by the 40s. It's the best system we got when you don't have a demo or beta to try out for yourself. You're just stuck in a "I hate numbers" phase and think things should be binary. A 10 point scale is better than a 2 point one in my book. It's just common sense
None are being reviewed with a set number of rules across the board. Where is the chart of standards that one can look at to accurately assign numbers to these things? How that doesn't drive you nuts is mind boggling to me.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
None are being reviewed with a set number of rules across the board. Where is the chart of standards that one can look at to accurately assign numbers to these things? How that doesn't drive you nuts is mind boggling to me.
How you think 78 DIFFERENT OPINIONS doesn't even that all out is mind boggling to me

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
problem is. some of those reviews are based off a 5 point scale, some a 2 point scale. some sites treat their scales differently(I.E. some rarely give out 9s and 10s some give them out a lot more often). some sites use stars.

and then metacritic weights them on some secret unpublished scale they came up with and converts it into a 100 point scale.

and you don't see the propensity for inconsistent fukkery to take place by the time metacritc puts their score out? :dahell:

you say your are a numbers guy, those are some real fukked up numbers you are living by

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
problem is. some of those reviews are based off a 5 point scale, some a 2 point scale. some sites treat their scales differently. some sites use stars.

and then metacritic weights them on some secret unpublished scale they came up with and converts it into a 100 point scale.

and you don't see the propensity for inconsistent fukkery to take place by the metacritc puts their score out? :dahell:

you say your are a numbers guy, those are some real fukked up numbers you are living by
Don't understand how meta-analyses work, brehs. The exact same thing happens in the scientific world when researchers do meta-analyses. Not every researcher uses a 7 point Likert scale. Some use a 100 point scale, some use a 5 point one. You can still make a statement about the effect of something with different scoring methods. Meta-analyses are the gold standard in scientific research

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
How you think 78 DIFFERENT OPINIONS doesn't even that all out is mind boggling to me
Just to try to get a good sense of how to view metacritic, please type out how you navigate that site and how you make your decisions based off what you see.

I am interested in seeing how you answer because I cannot possibly believe that something that has so many variables/inconsistencies is acceptable to you.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Don't understand how meta-analyses work, brehs. The exact same thing happens in the scientific world when researchers do meta-analyses. Not every researcher uses a 7 point Likert scale. Some use a 100 point scale, some use a 5 point one. You can still make a statement about the effect of something with different scoring methods. Meta-analyses are the gold standard in scientific research
Metacritc is not doing a real "meta-analysis" just cause they got "meta" in their name :mjlol:

ima let you cook breh, im out:cheers:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Just to try to get a good sense of how to view metacritic, please type out how you navigate that site and how you make your decisions based off what you see.

I am interested in seeing how you answer because I cannot possibly believe that something that has so many variables/inconsistencies is acceptable to you.
With a game a know nothing about, I look at the scores and then read reviews. I typically look at (edit: and read) a hodgepodge of highly reviewed score, medium scores, and low scores to get a good idea of the pros and cons.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
With a game a know nothing about, I look at the scores and then read reviews. I typically look at a hodgepodge of highly reviewed score, medium scores, and low scores to get a good idea of the pros and cons.
Do you really think that most people are going through all that trouble to make an informed purchasing decision? You know the answer to that. I truly believe that a large percentage of the people that visit the site have never even scrolled down past the fold. I am sure a large percentage never entered their birth date in order to view the video. They look at the green/orange/red box and keep it moving.

Couldn't you do the same thing with a like/not like system? Not only would it still leave you with the option to read individual opinions, but almost forces the consumers to actually read the text behind the opinion. Do you read select 90+ reviews, 80+ reviews etc etc? Why difference does it make at that point?

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Do you really think that most people are going through all that trouble to make an informed purchasing decision? You know the answer to that. I truly believe that a large percentage of the people that visit the site have never even scrolled down past the fold. I am sure a large percentage never entered their birth date in order to view the video. They look at the green/orange/red box and keep it moving.

Couldn't you do the same thing with a like/not like system? Not only would it still leave you with the option to read individual opinions, but almost forces the consumers to actually read the text behind the opinion. Do you read select 90+ reviews, 80+ reviews etc etc? Why difference does it make at that point?
I have no idea what people do, but they probably don't use metacritic like I do. Their loss. I read select 90, 80, etc. reviews. You can't just pick one and roll with it.

True, when it's steam sale time, I'll just look at the number and buy the cheap ass game if it's 85 plus (since little money is involved), but with a full-priced game, I like to have more information.

I think having a 100 point scale, and then a yes/no scale (like on steam) is a great idea. I've bought games of steam, who use a system you like, based on user reviews before. The more information the better.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If you were interested in teh game before, MC scores won't really effect you other than trying to rationalize and defend your game which you're invested into.
Like for example with QB and UD, I didn't quite care about the game that much other than a (Looks cool :ehh:). When reviews come out, I just decide to try the game out(UD I rented, and QB I'll wait until I find it cheap.) If it's a game that I'm HYPED for(like Driveclub, The Order, Knack) I STILL buy the game or w/e and play it for myself. Out of those games, only Knack I felt truly was garbage. DC was more of a understanding of why some may not like it but then like @MeachTheMonster says(and is guilty of himself), some use these scores to come online and shyt on the title and use the reviews to justify this behavior. It's easier to shyt on a game with a lower review score than a highly rated game. I obviously felt DC was more of a 8/10 game for me and with that said it didn't really matter to me in the long run as I enjoyed the game. The Order was a game that I felt was sort of enjoyable but flawed in a lot of ways. Knack was just straight up garbage imo.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
I have no idea what people do, but they probably don't use metacritic like I do. Their loss. I read select 90, 80, etc. reviews. You can't just pick one and roll with it.

True, when it's steam sale time, I'll just look at the number and buy the cheap ass game if it's 85 plus (since little money is involved), but with a full-priced game, I like to have more information.

I think having a 100 point scale, and then a yes/no scale (like on steam) is a great idea. I've bought games of steam, who use a system you like, based on user reviews before. The more information the better.
We can agree on that point as long as the "meta" score is tucked away on the bottom. The Positive/Not Positive on the steam page is much more beneficial to the consume and I think would force people to actually read the argument behind the score rather than just a number :obama:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Metacritc is not doing a real "meta-analysis" just cause they got "meta" in their name :mjlol:

ima let you cook breh, im out:cheers:
Yeah, I know it's not a meta-analysis in the true sense of the word. I was just using meta-analyses in the scientific world as an example of using different scales to get an overall score (just to show it's possible).

But, you're right this argument is going nowhere :cheers: