X-Men Release Date Shake-Up: Deadpool 2 moves May, New Mutants to Feb 2019, Gambit to June 2019

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
gambit was in the public eye for far longer than cap and thor were. the movie is what elevated them over him. nobody that wasnt reading comics was checking for either of them.

and breakout performances are just that. i dont know what tatum is capable of, but like downey, who wasnt popping either he could suprise
Uhhh Tatum already had his breakout performances in magic Mike, and jump street films.

People love channing now. It was the opposite before those films.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Outside of Wolverine in the 90's Gambit was easily # 2 in popularity. Not a DAMN SOUL was paying attention to Cap or Thor...don't let the flicks fool y'all.
Are you suggesting gambit was more popular than spider man or batman in the 90s? Hell venom and possibly spawn >>gambit in the 90s.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I had no idea verbinski walked. I'd bet it's because of the Disney deal.

There goes my interest in the gambit film for now.

New mutants being pushed back pisses me off but if they're adding more horror I'm cool with that.

Deadpool 2 is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Could be a prime candidate to under perform from the first.

2018 just has so many blockbusters rubbing elbows.

Han solo is gonna under perform. Coming off the back of last jedi and having someone other than Harrison ford? Yeah. I dunno.

Deadline is saying he left cause of scheduling. So it wasn’t “creative differences.” My thought is the script still wasn’t ready and he wanted to move on to other stuff. Similar to Donner when he wanted to direct lost boys but couldn’t keep waiting so he did lethal weapon instead

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
:gucci: Gambit is just as big as Cap and Thor in your eyes?

And I see what you're saying about RDJ being hindsight, but I think you're missing me. I'm saying it was RDJ's breakout performance that pushed the MCU fwd

Have you seen a Channing Tatum movie before? you really think he's about to have a breakout performance as Gambit? :usure:
Ryan Reynolds had damn near 12 straight years of flops before Deadpool

Daps
Reppin
NULL
That Gambit movie is never seeing the light of day. File it next to the Raimi/Tobey Spidey4 flick. Best case is it does the like X-Men Origins: Magneto and morphs into something else.

FrancisGambit.png~c100

Gambit doesn't really need his own movie, IMO. He works better as part of an ensemble.
I don't have a lot of high hopes for that Kitty Pryde movie they just announced, either.
The issue with X-men is that the family/team aspect is what makes the whole thing work. The X-men aren't the Avengers and they're not the Justice League. Most of them weren't designed to function independently as their own characters with their own solo stories and rogues galleries. Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man were all their own characters with their own stories before the Avengers took off for example.

Wolverine and Deadpool are the exceptions since they're among the few characters to have any truly classic solo stories that stood the test of time. While there are definitely some solo stories/series that I like from the other characters (Lifedeath 1 and 2 for example), the rest of the X-men don't really have any objectively super-classic solo stories that measure up to the original Frank Miller Wolverine miniseries, or Barry Windsor-Smith's Weapon X, IMO.

Last edited:
Daps
FrancisGambit.png~c100

Gambit doesn't really need his own movie, IMO. He works better as part of an ensemble.
I don't have a lot of high hopes for that Kitty Pryde they just announced movie either.
The issue with X-men is that the family/team aspect is what makes the whole thing work. The X-men aren't the Avengers and they're not the Justice League. Most of them weren't designed to function independently as their own characters with their own solo stories, their own rogues galleries, etc the way that the Justice League and most of the Avengers were.

Wolverine and Deadpool are the exceptions since they're among the few characters to have any truly classic solo stories that stood the test of time. While there are definitely some solo stories/series that I like from the other characters (Lifedeath 1 and 2 for example), the rest of the X-men don't really have any objectively super-classic solo stories that measure up to the original Frank Miller Wolverine miniseries, or Barry Windsor-Smith's Weapon X, IMO.

this

Outside of Wolverine in the 90's Gambit was easily # 2 in popularity. Not a DAMN SOUL was paying attention to Cap or Thor...don't let the flicks fool y'all.

gambit was in the public eye for far longer than cap and thor were. the movie is what elevated them over him. nobody that wasnt reading comics was checking for either of them.

and breakout performances are just that. i dont know what tatum is capable of, but like downey, who wasnt popping either he could suprise

Y'all really think gambit was more popular than Captain AMERICA??

Brehs... I think y'all are probably confusing "relevancy" with popularity

if you tell me that in the early 90's that Gambit was more RELEVANT than Captain America, I could go with that, because Gambit was a character on a hit cartoon

But in terms of popularity, more ppl knew the name of Captain America than they did Gambit

at no time in history was Gambit ever more popular than Captain America :mjlol:

it's like saying that X-Men were more popular than Superman in the 90's. Not more popular. Just more relevant since they had a hit cartoon series :yeshrug:

but Superman (:pacspit: that boy scout) takes the crown on popularity every day of the week

Captain America is an iconic character. Gambit isn't.

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
this

if you tell me that in the early 90's that Gambit was more RELEVANT than Captain America, I could go with that, because Gambit was a character on a hit cartoon

But in terms of popularity, more ppl knew the name of Captain America than they did Gambit

it's like saying that X-Men were more popular than Superman in the 90's. Not more popular. Just more relevant since they had a hit cartoon series :yeshrug:

but Superman (:pacspit: that boy scout) takes the crown on popularity every day of the week

Of fukking course Cap is more of an icon than fukking Gambit.

Cap was fighting Hitler. I meant in the new millineum.

That being said....It's time for this solo pic to end and place them in the new X-Men merger with Disney.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
this

If we really want to keep it a stack, Gambit is a fad character. Dude's whole existence peaked with the 90's animated series.
I've mentioned several times that Gambit is a character that's all style and not a whole lot of substance.

To be fair, Gambit is VERY good at that first part. His powers are dope and his whole swag is :banderas: ...

But that's all the guy really has going for him. There's not much of anything deeper going on with him beyond that surface level "cool" factor.
Gambit doesn't really have any truly legendary GOAT-tier storylines by himself, and the overwhelming majority of the best X-men stories either have nothing to do with him at all or originally took place years before he first appeared. It's like they saw how popular Logan became and tried to catch lightning-in-a-bottle for the second time, and it didn't last.

Gambit was poppin' in the 90s when he was first created, but it's basically been a wrap for him ever since that decade ended, tbh. Gambit has his moments, but he just doesn't carry that timeless appeal that characters like Spider-man, Wolverine, Captain America, Daredevil, and the Hulk have.

Spawn has the same problem IMO. Like Gambit, he's a fun character, but it's too obvious that he's just this weird amalgamation of a bunch of all these random "cool" tropes from the 90s, which makes both characters next to impossible to take seriously outside of the context of that decade.

Gambit and Spawn are still way cooler and more entertaining than these new-millenium, garbage, Tumblr-feminist characters they're pushing in the comics now though.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Im a huge Gambit fan. He’s actually the only thing about the Fox X-Verse that I was anticipating.:mjcry:

I had faith in Channing Tatum doing him justice too:mjcry:

I mean honestly what the fukk us so hard about adapting Gambit’s storyline :what: the shyt writes itself. His origin story is basically Romeo & Juliet set against an epic Thieves Guild backdrop. Your telling me they can, more or less, get an Old Man Logan adaptation right but can’t do fukking GAMBIT!??!!:mindblown:

THREE directors have been through this film? What the fukk kinda script did they shyt out for THREE directors to go “Naw bro. I’m good”:camby:

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
Im a huge Gambit fan. He’s actually the only thing about the Fox X-Verse that I was anticipating.:mjcry:

I had faith in Channing Tatum doing him justice too:mjcry:

I mean honestly what the fukk us so hard about adapting Gambit’s storyline :what: the shyt writes itself. His origin story is basically Romeo & Juliet set against an epic Thieves Guild backdrop. Your telling me they can, more or less, get an Old Man Logan adaptation right but can’t do fukking GAMBIT!??!!:mindblown:

THREE directors have been through this film? What the fukk kinda script did they shyt out for THREE directors to go “Naw bro. I’m good”:camby:

Romeo/Juliet mixed with Thomas Crown/Femme Fatale in a Crow setting...unreal they can't get it right.