X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX and NEW MUTANTS get new dates in 2019

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I maybe the minority on this, but everyone harping on New Mutants when it is Dark Phoenix that looks like it's problematic. New Mutants I can understand they want to not rush the film. It is an unestablished franchise of mostly unknown X-Men characters and a completely different approach in introducing them. And even with that, Aug 2nd is a marquee summer release date. The ONLY reason I can see as to why it was pushed back is because of DARK PHOENIX being pushed back to their date. They don't want both films to be released a week apart from each other. So the question isn't so much why New Mutants is pushed back, but why Dark Phoenix is pushed back. That movie should of BEEN done. We don't even have a teaser trailer for that movie, despite AT LEAST having something for New Mutants. So what's the deal with this film and why it is taking so long for it to get made?

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
50% of New Mutants Will Be Reshoot As New Characters Will Be Added

Sources with knowledge of the situation tell us that Dark Phoenix had a test screening to see what was working and what wasn’t, and like most big budget films it needs some additional photography—this is standard procedure for blockbusters nowadays. But given the in-demand nature of this A-list cast, getting all the necessary cast members assembled for reshoots is no easy task. The earliest availability for everyone to return was August or September of this year, which would leave just a couple of months to complete necessary visual effects for the new scenes. That wasn’t enough time, and so Fox decided to push Dark Phoenix’s release date to February to give everyone the time necessary to complete the needed additional photography and post-production on said sequences. So the release date delay for this film is basically just an issue of scheduling.

New Mutants is a different matter, however. When the film was initially delayed, it was reported that Fox wanted to do some reshoots to make the movie scarier, even going so far as to add a new character. That still holds true, and while we hear the film tested well, it’s not “scary” enough. Director Josh Boone delivered a cut of the film that he was happy with, but Fox wants this movie to stand out as tonally distinct the same way Logan and Deadpool did.

The reshoots that the studio wants are now even more significant. We’re hearing that at least 50% of the movie may be reshot, and they’re adding one or two new characters who will be present throughout the entirety of the film—this isn’t simply adding a cameo. Moreover, Boone has been having some creative differences with the studio over the requested changes to the movie, so the reasons for the New Mutants delay are more complex than why Dark Phoenix is being pushed.

Fox has gotten really ambitious with its Marvel Comics properties in the wake of Deadpool’s success, and one hopes that these changes being made to X-Men: Dark Phoenix and The New Mutants are in service of pushing boundaries. The studio garnered a lot of goodwill (and an Oscar nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay) with Logan, and anticipation is mighty high for these two new titles. Here’s hoping all’s well that ends well.

That doesn't bode well :patrice:

Last edited:

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I know re-shoots are normal but:patrice:Re-shooting half the film AND adding characters:holdupbreh:

No way this can be that bad.

That's not even new news. This was mentioned last year. It long been mentioned that they want to have it scarier and to take more risks off the strength of the success of Logan and Deadpool. I have no concerns with Fox Studios trying to make any R-rated type of film. Between Logan and Deadpool and with Legion on TV.... if they want to make sure they get it right... take that time. It is the X-Men franchise that's bothersome.

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's not even new news. This was mentioned last year. It long been mentioned that they want to have it scarier and to take more risks off the strength of the success of Logan and Deadpool. I have no concerns with Fox Studios trying to make any R-rated type of film. Between Logan and Deadpool and with Legion on TV.... if they want to make sure they get it right... take that time. It is the X-Men franchise that's bothersome.

A film that supposed tested well needs more risk taking? Are they going full R-rated with this one too (I heard they still want to keep it strong PG-13)? With Logan and deadpool the suits really didn't meddle around so the reasoning seems questionable, and it doesn't seem like boone is too happy with the extensive re-shoots and additional characters either since he gave them a finished product. This just unfortunately screams FF (reboot) all over again.

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL
If the merger goes through, Disney has to pay for the two movies because Fox will become Disney. Any debt Fox has, Disney will have

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A film that supposed tested well needs more risk taking? Are they going full R-rated with this one too (I heard they still want to keep it strong PG-13)? With Logan and deadpool the suits really didn't meddle around so the reasoning seems questionable, and it doesn't seem like boone is too happy with the extensive re-shoots and additional characters either since he gave them a finished product. This just unfortunately screams FF (reboot) all over again.

Apparently you MISSED part of the article that stated PLAINLY that the film tested WELL but not scary enough. Reshoots, or how much needs to be reshot is not a BAD THING. The premise of the film itself is a RISK by making it like a horror flick. And if the issue is they want MORE.... than isn't a problem. Add more characters... add more stuff to make it scarier. That shouldn't be regarded as a BAD thing. I rather perfect it and take their TIME with it than rush it after an initial test run. New Mutants isn't a concern project. It is understandable because the film itself is a risk and it's approach to it. It is based upon mostly unknown characters. So it is best to make sure it is done right.

X-Men, on the other hand is a problem.... and the main REASON why New Mutants is pushed back again is because X-Men had to get pushed back because they having issues and reshoots and scheduling and so forth. So X-Men took New Mutants February slot which force New Mutants to be pushed back further.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
It’s weird that Fox is about to pull another Trank move.

I bet Boone isn’t going to head those reshoots except for what the guild demands are.

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Apparently you MISSED part of the article that stated PLAINLY that the film tested WELL but not scary enough. Reshoots, or how much needs to be reshot is not a BAD THING. The premise of the film itself is a RISK by making it like a horror flick. And if the issue is they want MORE.... than isn't a problem. Add more characters... add more stuff to make it scarier. That shouldn't be regarded as a BAD thing. I rather perfect it and take their TIME with it than rush it after an initial test run. New Mutants isn't a concern project. It is understandable because the film itself is a risk and it's approach to it. It is based upon mostly unknown characters. So it is best to make sure it is done right.

X-Men, on the other hand is a problem.... and the main REASON why New Mutants is pushed back again is because X-Men had to get pushed back because they having issues and reshoots and scheduling and so forth. So X-Men took New Mutants February slot which force New Mutants to be pushed back further.

Listen, you're apparently the only arguing that a film that apparently tested well has to have over 50 percent of the film re-shot just for some additional horror elements and to add new characters is a good thing. Especially that the director who came up with the concept was satisfied with the finished product:mjlol:

New Mutants was originally suppose to come out before X-men so that argument doesn't work. If Fox has a sure thing they would keep it on the shelf just cause, apparently, it's not being done right at all.

It’s weird that Fox is about to pull another Trank move.

I bet Boone isn’t going to head those reshoots except for what the guild demands are.

unfortunately its got that smell.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Listen, you're apparently the only arguing that a film that apparently tested well has to have over 50 percent of the film re-shot just for some additional horror elements and to add new characters is a good thing. Especially that the director who came up with the concept was satisfied with the finished product:mjlol:

New Mutants was originally suppose to come out before X-men so that argument doesn't work. If Fox has a sure thing they would keep it on the shelf just cause, apparently, it's not being done right at all.

unfortunately its got that smell.

You harping on the 50% when the issue that is to make it scarier and add more characters. If they are KEY CHARACTERS to the entire film and NOT cameos, OF COURSE you have to reshoot to have them integrate seamlessly into the film! How ELSE would they do it?

General Mills

More often than not I tend to take that L.
Daps
Reppin
Piffsburgh, PA
Not surprising. Yall know exactly why this is happening.

YyHnofe.gif
:mjlol: Yooo:deadmanny:

• Dap
Reactions: hex