X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX and NEW MUTANTS get new dates in 2019

hostsamurai

Demon King Of Salvation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London
The money Fox spent on this movie prior to the merger doesn't affect Disney at all. And if the merger goes through and Disney decides to shelve both movies, there's nothing Fox can do about it.

At some point the X-Men will be incorporated into the MCU (pending the merger, obviously) and there's no way in hell they're going to use the same cast as the rest of the series. They didn't even want to use the same Spider-Man actor. X-Men will get a reboot.

And yeah Feige said he has no plans for an X-Men movie....that =/= they're going to release an X-Men movie with the old cast if the merger goes through. shyt is the definition of hustling backwards.

Fred.
No one said anything about the cast returning. Nor Dark Phoenix being apart of the MCU. Going ahead with them is a similar context to DC doing an Elseworld's Joker film while the DCEU is a thing. And it's not a certainty the deal will get government approval. The WB deal has been held up for a minute.

Alan Horn answers to a board of directors on behalf of the stockholders. It is a tall order to ask them to bury a film when an X-men film basically prints money. I don't think you can definitively point to a studio that permanently shelved a big budget film. The closest I could find was Cabin In The Woods which saw the light of day when Chris Hemsworth got the Thor role.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
No one said anything about the cast returning. Nor Dark Phoenix being apart of the MCU. Going ahead with them is a similar context to DC doing an Elseworld's Joker film while the DCEU is a thing. And it's not a certainty the deal will get government approval. The WB deal has been held up for a minute.

Alan Horn answers to a board of directors on behalf of the stockholders. It is a tall order to ask them to bury a film when an X-men film basically prints money. I don't think you can definitively point to a studio that permanently shelved a big budget film. The closest I could find was Cabin In The Woods which saw the light of day when Chris Hemsworth got the Thor role.

My original post said "if the deal goes through". So we're operating under the assumption that's happened.

You can't really compare this to anything prior, as it's never happened before.

MCU movies print money. "BP" just did $1.3 billion....the last X-Men movie did $543 mill. That's barely more than "Antman". Hell, "Amazing Spider-Man 2" did $709 mill and Disney still killed that franchise and rebooted it. So I doubt money would be a motivating factor in this decision.

I can't think of a logical reason why Disney (again, pending the merger) would ever release "Dark Phoenix" or "New Mutants". If this was around the time of "Days Of Future Past" I could kinda understand as it was a commercial and critical success...."Apocalypse", the last X-Men movie, was neither. So yeah....shelving the movies would cost them some money but not shelving them muddies the waters moving forward and (potentially) further damages the brand.

Fred.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Phase 5: house of M - Or maybe Jean causes Decimation.
And then in phase 6 x-men is basically the messiah trilogy.
leading up to a better Avengers vs X-men.

There are casualties in Avengers vs X-men. Maybe a Schism, leading SHIELD to start the Ultimates program,which is the reverse of ultimate comics: avengers. So an edgy black ops team.

Leading into Avengers vs Ultimates/Death of spiderman.

I think either the first issue (with the OG X-men as teenagers) or Giant Sized X-men #1 would be the best places to start in the MCU, short of doing a Netflix series adapting the Chris Claremont run of the comics (including the Phoenix, Proteus, Dark Phoenix, DoFP, God Loves Man Kills, etc.) That would be dope if they did a live action adaptation based on Asgardian Wars or Mutant Massacre-- that way they could incorporate Loki, Thor, and the Asgard mythos. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing the Brood in an MCU X-men movie either.

I still think a big-budget TV series on Netflix (or that Disney streaming service) would be the best option though.

A lot of people want to see them fight the Avengers, but I don't think they should do that right away. They need to build the X-men up first, and let them shine for a few movies before jumping into that conflict.

hostsamurai

Demon King Of Salvation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London
My original post said "if the deal goes through". So we're operating under the assumption that's happened.

You can't really compare this to anything prior, as it's never happened before.

MCU movies print money. "BP" just did $1.3 billion....the last X-Men movie did $543 mill. That's barely more than "Antman". Hell, "Amazing Spider-Man 2" did $709 mill and Disney still killed that franchise and rebooted it. So I doubt money would be a motivating factor in this decision.

I can't think of a logical reason why Disney (again, pending the merger) would ever release "Dark Phoenix" or "New Mutants". If this was around the time of "Days Of Future Past" I could kinda understand as it was a commercial and critical success...."Apocalypse", the last X-Men movie, was neither. So yeah....shelving the movies would cost them some money but not shelving them muddies the waters moving forward and (potentially) further damages the brand.

Fred.
I've never been a fan of Simon Kinberg and always thought this film would be a dud. Nevertheless...

Yeah, I don't think I can build a stronger argument.

Can you raise the precedent of a studio burying a blockbuster $100+ million film?
$60 million film?

hostsamurai

Demon King Of Salvation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London
I think either the first issue (with the OG X-men as teenagers) or Giant Sized X-men #1 would be the best places to start in the MCU, short of doing a Netflix series adapting the Chris Claremont run of the comics (including the Phoenix, Proteus, Dark Phoenix, DoFP, God Loves Man Kills, etc.) That would be dope if they did a live action adaptation based on Asgardian Wars or Mutant Massacre-- that way they could incorporate Loki, Thor, and the Asgard mythos. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing the Brood in an MCU X-men movie either.

I still think a big-budget TV series on Netflix (or that Disney streaming service) would be the best option though.

A lot of people want to see them fight the Avengers, but I don't think they should do that right away. They need to build the X-men up first, and let them shine for a few movies before jumping into that conflict.
If The Uncanny X-men is released in 2022 at the earliest I don't think it would start with the first issue, unless they have a great script the audience may not feel an origin film a decade after First Class. Though I do think Magneto would be the first villain too iconic not too.

I hope Marvel can do Emma Frost, Sebastian Shaw, Mastermind and the rest of the Hellfire Club justice.

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
'X-Men: Dark Phoenix,' 'New Mutants' Delayed For Significant Reshoots

X-Men: Dark Phoenix is going to see some considerable changes before its release, as sources tell ComicBook.com the Simon Kinberg-directed film is in need of multiple weeks worth of reshoots to change significant story points in the film.

After testing the film, 20th Century Fox has elected to bring the film back into production ahead of its release. They will have a significant roadblock in doing so, however, as its titular Dark Phoenix actress Sophie Turner will be heavily tied up with obligations to Game of Thrones' final season through September. The film has already been pushed back to Valentine's Day in 2019.

Recent rumors claimed the Dark Phoenix film will introduce the cosmic Marvel alien army of the Skrulls, a group also set to appear in the upcoming and unrelated Marvel Studios film Captain Marvel. Comic book fans were also pleased when set photos surfaced, revealing costumes on the key characters matching those of Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely's New X-Men run with Marvel Comics.

20th Century Fox's other property, New Mutants, is also in the process of even more significant reshoots after having its release date delayed nearly an entire year. The film will add a few new characters to round out the movie, as well as make it scarier, overhauling the majority of the film. Almost half of the movie is supposedly being reshot.The original version of the film was directed by Josh Boone. Such a hold up has prompted the film to push its release date back, once again, to August 2, 2019. It was originally scheduled for April 13, 2018.

New Mutants star Anna Taylor-Joy recently confirmed the film will be adding at least one entirely new character with its overhaul. "I don’t think it being delayed is a bad thing because it’s definitely more important to make sure that we get it right than rushing to make a date," Taylor-Joy told The Playlist. "So, hopefully, all of these reshoots and adding of the new character that will give the fans an altogether satisfactory, wonderful product.”

X-Men: Dark Phoenix stars Turner with Jennifer Lawrence, Tye Sheridan, Jessica Chastain, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, Alexandra Shipp, Nicholas Hoult, Evan Peters, and Kodi Smit-McPhee. It is written by Kinberg, based on Josh Byrne, Chris Claremont, and Dave Cockrum's The Dark Phoenix Saga story published by Marvel Comics.

New Mutants stars Taylor-Joy, along with Maisie Williams, Alice Braga, Charlie Heaton, Happy Anderson, Henry Zaga, Blu Hunt, and Colbi Gannett. Its screenplay is written by Josh Boone and Knate Lee.

On the horizon for 20th Century Fox is the Deadpool sequel, which has tested well with audiences. Sources tell ComicBook.com the film is a worthy sequel to the unexpected hit from 2016. With reshoots underway for the sequel which releases on May 18, as well, speculation regarding poor test screenings are just that and nothing more.

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
its a shame..im holding on hope the reshoots will make these 2 movies better

These things never end well.

FF
Justice League

These two films have disaster written all over them. Then you have a cast coming back with the cloud of Disney hanging over their heads knowing it's their last flick before the House Of Mouse takes over and they're gonna mail it in. They gonna come back after summer like "fukk it". Hair won't match, might have a tan and scenes will have the Cavill mustache all over again.

Sophie got GOT, Sheridan got Ready Player One , Fassbender is Fassbender and JLaw is just collecting a check

Apocalypse and JLaw killed this series.

I mean it's gonna be dropping when the regulatory approval will start going thru and Disney is gonna start ramping up their streaming service to compete with Netflix.

Last edited: