WSJ: Illegal Immigrants Get Public Health Care, Despite Federal Policy; MAKE UP 25% OF UNINSURED

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Solving this problem would be...getting rid of illegals and stopping them from competing macro economically against people who need that economic boost, i.e. black people.
This is a misguided fight to the bottom.
The problem for black people in America isn't uneducated Mexicans taking menial labor jobs.

Let's be real here.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
This is a misguided fight to the bottom.
The problem for black people in America isn't uneducated Mexicans taking menial labor jobs.

Let's be real here.
Bruh. We've been over this. You debating this doesn't change shyt.

A fight to the bottom isn't the issue. Its the competition to getting out of that bottom.

And this myth about picking fruit has also been dismissed so don't pretend these are all farm-hands

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And?

Its still fraud.

So whats your point?

And this money that people COULD be using to their benefit as citizens, and by and large blacks
this one has nothing to do with blacks.

these people are uninsured because they are living under the grid. again the majority of them pay taxes so i think they should be entitled to public medical care, whether or not they are illegals. even if they are committing fraud, they're still paying taxes. the ones who don't pay taxes and have no insurance, i think as a human right are also entitled to some kind of care just out of humanity, but i do think that's the bigger problem.

the other big problem here is that it costs 40x the price for an MRI here than it does in japan. which is what is really jacking up the costs for the uninsured. either fix the healthcare system or the immigration system. i doubt either will ever be fixed though since there's too much money to be made off both for the people controlling washington.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
this one has nothing to do with blacks.

these people are uninsured because they are living under the grid. again the majority of them pay taxes so i think they should be entitled to public medical care, whether or not they are illegals. even if they are committing fraud, they're still paying taxes. the ones who don't pay taxes and have no insurance, i think as a human right are also entitled to some kind of care just out of humanity, but i do think that's the bigger problem.

the other big problem here is that it costs 40x the price for an MRI here than it does in japan. which is what is really jacking up the costs for the uninsured. either fix the healthcare system or the immigration system. i doubt either will ever be fixed though since there's too much money to be made off both for the people controlling washington.
Word?

Breh, I understand these problems with universal healthcare. I SUPPORT Universal Healthcare options. I get all of that....but to ignore the persistent drag this shyt has is asinine.

How about this?

Men in the U.S. Illegally Are More Likely to Work Than Men Born Here, For Less

BN-NE928_illega_J_20160322093441.jpg
ENLARGE
Illegal immigrant Layios Roberto waits outside the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights in Los Angeles in 2012, when hundreds of thousands of young immigrants scrambled to get papers in order as the U.S. started accepting applications to allow them to avoid deportation and get a work permit. Photo: NICK UT/ASSOCIATED PRESS

By
Jeffrey Sparshott
Mar 22, 2016 9:59 am ET
Men in the U.S. illegally are more likely to work than their native-born counterparts, and they’re willing to take jobs pretty much regardless of how much or little they get paid, new research from Harvard University finds.

The study fleshes out the behavior of undocumented workers—a group that by its nature can be difficult to analyze.

The challenge of studying the roughly 11.3 million illegal immigrants in the U.S. leaves policy makers guessing on the implications for a wide range of proposals—from offering such workers a path to citizenship to kicking them out of the country.

To help fill in some gaps in policy assumptions, Harvard University professor George Borjas used newly developed statistical methods to sift through native-born, legal and illegal workers showing up in the Census Bureau’s Current Population Survey (the same survey that informs the Labor Department’smonthly employment report). Mr. Borjas arrives at three initial conclusions:

Undocumented immigrant men are far more likely to work than other groups, while undocumented immigrant women are far less likely to work.

The employment gap that distinguishes undocumented men from the other groups widened dramatically over the past twenty years. By 2014, the probability that an undocumented man was employed…was around 12 percentage points larger than that of native men. The probability that undocumented women are employed also grew at a relatively faster rate, but the increase was far less dramatic.

The labor supply of undocumented workers is not as responsive to wage changes as the labor supply of the other groups in the population. In fact, the data clearly suggest that the labor supply of undocumented men is almost perfectly inelastic.

Mr. Borjas’s “employment rate” echoes the official labor-force participation rate but he measures a somewhat different ratio.

BN-NE539_BORJAS_J_20160321142602.jpg
ENLARGE

Illegal immigration has been one of the hot topics in recent policy debates and during the presidential election. Reform efforts petered out on Capitol Hill in 2014. Last year, the discussion took a turn when Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump launched his campaign with comments branding many immigrants as criminals.

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best,” Mr. Trump said in June. “They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

He’s also called for mass deportation and a wall to keep immigrants out. Democratic candidates Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders also have sparred over immigration.

Critics of heavy immigration have cited Mr. Borjas’s previous work showing low-skilled immigration has reduced the wages of U.S. born high-school dropouts. But others have found more benign effects.

What are some of the numbers? In separate research last year, The Pew Research Center found the number of illegal immigrants has remained stable for the past five years at 11.3 million, following decades of rapid growth. Among that group, 8.1 million are working or looking for work, accounting for about 5% of the U.S. labor force.

The latest research suggests that men in that category are willing to do jobs that many native-born American men shun—at least at the wages on offer.

RELATED

The Thorny Economics of Illegal Immigration (Feb. 9)

Immigrants Push Down Wages for Low-Income Workers—But How Much? (Feb. 9)

New Evidence on Immigrants and Jobs (Jan. 18)

Does Immigration Suppress Wages? It’s Not So Simple (June 1, 2015)

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Bruh. We've been over this. You debating this doesn't change shyt.

A fight to the bottom isn't the issue. Its the competition to getting out of that bottom.

And this myth about picking fruit has also been dismissed so don't pretend these are all farm-hands
You're right.
If only these Hondurans would stop stealing all these brain surgeon jobs, black Americans would all be driving Benzes

Next you're gonna want a ban on iPhones being made in Asia. Because globalization is keeping black people down.

Though to be fair, that actually is a much more legit problem than this immigration nonsense.

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
I forgot to include you. But now that you're here...
:manny: Its a two fold problem. You can't exactly ask these hospitals to turn away people in need of healthcare, if you did it would violate the Hippocratic oath

Why do you think illegals are heading here?

What economic conditions could have led to a swath of former agriculture workers adventure through a horrific journey, not just from Mexico but from all of Latin America to come to the United States?

Poor, hungry, no jobs, violence, lack of economic oppurtunity?

Where did those stem from?

Terrible political leader ship? Terrible economic policies?

Familiar with NAFTA? CAFTA?

Both of those legislations eliminated the agricultural sector of majority of Latin American countries and Mexico. That begun a migrant push to the US. Couple that with the drug violence (thanks to the unemployment created by NAFTA) that took off that exacerbated the migrant issue.

Couple that with capitalistic exploitation of the illegal status of immigrants. You have this problem

If you want to solve illegal immigration:

1. Scrap NAFTA
2. Pass laws that would force companies to pay illegal migrants the same pay as an American worker with punitive fines for hiring illegals to begin with
3. Cease the "War on Drugs" to neutralize much of the effectiveness of drug cartels

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
:manny: Its a two fold problem. You can't exactly ask these hospitals to turn away people in need of healthcare, if you did it would violate the Hippocratic oath

Why do you think illegals are heading here?

What economic conditions could have led to a swath of former agriculture workers adventure through a horrific journey, not just from Mexico but from all of Latin America to come to the United States?

Poor, hungry, no jobs, violence, lack of economic oppurtunity?

Where did those stem from?

Terrible political leader ship? Terrible economic policies?

Familiar with NAFTA? CAFTA?

Both of those legislations eliminated the agricultural sector of majority of Latin American countries and Mexico. That begun a migrant push to the US. Couple that with the drug violence (thanks to the unemployment created by NAFTA) that took off that exacerbated the migrant issue.

Couple that with capitalistic exploitation of the illegal status of immigrants. You have this problem

If you want to solve illegal immigration:

1. Scrap NAFTA
2. Pass laws that would force companies to pay illegal migrants the same pay as an American worker with punitive fines for hiring illegals to begin with
3. Cease the "War on Drugs" to neutralize much of the effectiveness of drug cartels
Everyone has a story breh :manny:

Doesn't mean I have to support it :ufdup:

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Word?

Breh, I understand these problems with universal healthcare. I SUPPORT Universal Healthcare options. I get all of that....but to ignore the persistent drag this shyt has is asinine.

How about this?

BN-NE928_illega_J_20160322093441.jpg
ENLARGE
Illegal immigrant Layios Roberto waits outside the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights in Los Angeles in 2012, when hundreds of thousands of young immigrants scrambled to get papers in order as the U.S. started accepting applications to allow them to avoid deportation and get a work permit. Photo: NICK UT/ASSOCIATED PRESS

By
Jeffrey Sparshott
Mar 22, 2016 9:59 am ET
Men in the U.S. illegally are more likely to work than their native-born counterparts, and they’re willing to take jobs pretty much regardless of how much or little they get paid, new research from Harvard University finds.

The study fleshes out the behavior of undocumented workers—a group that by its nature can be difficult to analyze.

The challenge of studying the roughly 11.3 million illegal immigrants in the U.S. leaves policy makers guessing on the implications for a wide range of proposals—from offering such workers a path to citizenship to kicking them out of the country.

To help fill in some gaps in policy assumptions, Harvard University professor George Borjas used newly developed statistical methods to sift through native-born, legal and illegal workers showing up in the Census Bureau’s Current Population Survey (the same survey that informs the Labor Department’smonthly employment report). Mr. Borjas arrives at three initial conclusions:

Undocumented immigrant men are far more likely to work than other groups, while undocumented immigrant women are far less likely to work.

The employment gap that distinguishes undocumented men from the other groups widened dramatically over the past twenty years. By 2014, the probability that an undocumented man was employed…was around 12 percentage points larger than that of native men. The probability that undocumented women are employed also grew at a relatively faster rate, but the increase was far less dramatic.

The labor supply of undocumented workers is not as responsive to wage changes as the labor supply of the other groups in the population. In fact, the data clearly suggest that the labor supply of undocumented men is almost perfectly inelastic.

Mr. Borjas’s “employment rate” echoes the official labor-force participation rate but he measures a somewhat different ratio.

BN-NE539_BORJAS_J_20160321142602.jpg
ENLARGE

Illegal immigration has been one of the hot topics in recent policy debates and during the presidential election. Reform efforts petered out on Capitol Hill in 2014. Last year, the discussion took a turn when Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump launched his campaign with comments branding many immigrants as criminals.

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best,” Mr. Trump said in June. “They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

He’s also called for mass deportation and a wall to keep immigrants out. Democratic candidates Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders also have sparred over immigration.

Critics of heavy immigration have cited Mr. Borjas’s previous work showing low-skilled immigration has reduced the wages of U.S. born high-school dropouts. But others have found more benign effects.

What are some of the numbers? In separate research last year, The Pew Research Center found the number of illegal immigrants has remained stable for the past five years at 11.3 million, following decades of rapid growth. Among that group, 8.1 million are working or looking for work, accounting for about 5% of the U.S. labor force.

The latest research suggests that men in that category are willing to do jobs that many native-born American men shun—at least at the wages on offer.

RELATED

The Thorny Economics of Illegal Immigration (Feb. 9)

Immigrants Push Down Wages for Low-Income Workers—But How Much? (Feb. 9)

New Evidence on Immigrants and Jobs (Jan. 18)

Does Immigration Suppress Wages? It’s Not So Simple (June 1, 2015)
this has nothing to do with healthcare, which i think people who pay taxes are entitled to.

i've already gone back and forth with you on immigration. you know my thoughts and my ideas to fix it. the problem is, nobody with influence in washington wants it fixed.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
this has nothing to do with healthcare, which i think people who pay taxes are entitled to.

i've already gone back and forth with you on immigration. you know my thoughts and my ideas to fix it. the problem is, nobody with influence in washington wants it fixed.
We had POTUS candidates taking pledges to not deport people. So how can you even talk about solutions?

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We had POTUS candidates taking pledges to not deport people. So how can you even talk about solutions?
deporting people won't do shyt. :yeshrug:

again i've told you the feasible answers to the immigration problem. the problem with the answers are that we live in a society where capitalism will always benefit from labor they can exploit the most. it's easiest to exploit illegals. :francis: