Writer's and Actor's Strike 2023: Aaaaand Scene...That's a Wrap!

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
I hate to tell everyone but eventually AI will be used in Hollywood it's inevitable
what they're trying to do is to make it the only way studios create content which shouldn't happen imo
the ai is still not going to create mega successful original franchises but it can help with things such as story structure, plot holes, character arcs. etc
what will happen though is we will probably lose some type of storytelling similar to how we lost poster art when photoshop became a thing.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
so when are these streaming services gonna give us a discount for the content they are about to NOT be producing in the coming months? we supposed to pay full price for a work stoppage?
Max got all the reality shows coming the Discovery family of networks! :krs:

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
The thing that scares me is when AI evolves how it’ll affect screenwriting. Right now it ain’t shyt but can develop a plot and story. Of course it stills much tuning, but how will it look in several years? And will it actually do a complete 90-120 page script. Will it understand how to use emotion to a degree too.

It won’t breh, we are still far away from what is truly called AI, consciousness. What we have right now is basically a high spec web scrapper. It can not create an original thought.

I’m working on character bible for a fighting game and I wanted to see how original my characters were with AI. I told it the following,

Me: Create a fighting game character from X country using X martial arts, who has hobby/job of X. That character’s goal is X (Not mentioning characters I’m working on cause…)

ChatGPT: Not Ryu is character who dreamed of being the strongest with his martial art of shotokan. As child Not Ryu trained day and night to develop the Full Strength Chargeball and the 360 Spinning Kick.

It’s not their and it won’t be for a long time.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
No disrespect taken, I’ve been in film production longer than I’ve been a screenwriter so I’m still on the grind as far as screenwriting goes. That being said, I’m well aware how it goes in the business as far as nepotism and connections. I work in the Bay Area scene with a few LA gigs here and there, I’ve done pretty much every role/worn every hat that isn’t ADing.
The bay gets a decent amount of work? I know a homie was out there ADing the matrix movie but they travelled around a bit. I was northwest working on an animation movie and passed through San Fran for vacay

And same :salute: I do all the jobs otherwise I get obscenely bored, ADing is okay but I prefer to be able to dayplay so I can still have a normal life and not be lonely ass 50 year old who only has work stories at conversation. It is hard af leaving that extra 2-3k a week on the table tho :wow:

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
I hate to tell everyone but eventually AI will be used in Hollywood it's inevitable
what they're trying to do is to make it the only way studios create content which shouldn't happen imo
the ai is still not going to create mega successful original franchises but it can help with things such as story structure, plot holes, character arcs. etc
what will happen though is we will probably lose some type of storytelling similar to how we lost poster art when photoshop became a thing.

This it’s tool. You feed it your work and say what am I missing in the hero’s journey. Does this work as Chekhov’s Gun? How close is the ending coming to a Deus Ex Machina?

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
The blindspot people have about AI is part of the reason nikkas have stopped watching these shows and movies is because they feel like they were written by an AI anyway:mjlol:

We already see nikkas have largely stopped going to the movies, and these shows aren't doing numbers like that anyway. Shyt has become so homogenized and boring :russell:
Exactly my point, it's a handful of good writers and then THOUSANDS of shytty ones clinging on to their coattails rn pretending like they giving us quality work

It won’t breh, we are still far away from what is truly called AI, consciousness. What we have right now is basically a high spec web scrapper. It can not create an original thought.

I’m working on character bible for a fighting game and I wanted to see how original my characters were with AI. I told it the following,

Me: Create a fighting game character from X country using X martial arts, who has hobby/job of X. That character’s goal is X (Not mentioning characters I’m working on cause…)

ChatGPT: Not Ryu is character who dreamed of being the strongest with his martial art of shotokan. As child Not Ryu trained day and night to develop the Full Strength Chargeball and the 360 Spinning Kick.

It’s not their and it won’t be for a long time.
I can tell you right now with full confidence that this is a terrible prompt for Ai.

And if you only used one prompt you aren't even using it efficiently to begin with.

I JUST did this with the information you provided and my own questioning

Name: Batsute Nationality: Haitian Fighting Style: Wing Chun

Backstory:

Born and raised in the vibrant and resilient nation of Haiti, Batsute grew up witnessing the struggles and challenges faced by his people. From the devastating earthquake in 2010 to the subsequent political and economic turmoil, Haiti was in dire need of assistance and support. Batsute, with his indomitable spirit and unwavering determination, made it his life's mission to rebuild his homeland.

As a young boy, Batsute was introduced to martial arts by his wise and resourceful grandfather. His grandfather had once traveled to China, where he had the opportunity to study under a renowned Wing Chun master. Recognizing the potential in his grandson, he passed down his knowledge and skills, instilling within Batsute a deep respect for martial arts and a burning desire to excel.

Devoting himself to the study of Wing Chun, Batsute honed his physical prowess, mental discipline, and strategic thinking. Through countless hours of training, he developed an incredible speed, agility, and precision in his movements. Batsute's skill with the Wing Chun style became his source of strength and the foundation of his fighting technique.

Realizing that he could use his martial arts talents to bring attention to the struggles of his homeland, Batsute set his sights on the world of professional fighting tournaments. The ultimate opportunity presented itself when news spread of a prestigious fighting championship with a staggering prize of 50 million dollars.

Batsute saw this as his chance to not only prove himself as a skilled fighter but also to raise awareness and funds for Haiti's reconstruction. He pledged to use the prize money to initiate crucial infrastructure projects, provide education and healthcare, and empower the people of Haiti to rebuild their lives.

Determined to succeed, Batsute embarked on a journey around the world, seeking out the most formidable opponents and training under renowned martial arts masters. From the bustling streets of Hong Kong to the tranquil dojos of Japan, he immersed himself in different cultures and fighting styles, broadening his knowledge and adapting his techniques to enhance his Wing Chun mastery.

With his skills finely honed and his spirit unyielding, Batsute steps into the arena as a symbol of hope and resilience. His lightning-fast strikes and fluid movements astonish his opponents and captivate the audience. As he fights his way through the tournament, Batsute's goals go beyond personal victory; he fights for the redemption and rebirth of his beloved Haiti.

Batsute's unwavering determination, combined with his exceptional Wing Chun skills, make him a force to be reckoned with in the fighting world. His story resonates with the spectators, who admire his selflessness and root for him in his quest to win the tournament and rebuild Haiti from the ashes.

The legend of Batsute grows with each fight, inspiring not only his fellow Haitians but people from all walks of life. Through his martial arts prowess and his noble cause, Batsute becomes a symbol of hope, proving that one person can make a difference and that the power of resilience can rebuild nations.

You nikkas just be scratching the surface with stuff, not even utilizing it properly

if you need help with using A.I. to ASSIST you on your project, hit my inbox :manny:

and also if you're making a fighting game you should swing by the FGC thread and share whatever youre comfortable with, im sure the brehs will offer feedback

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Exactly my point, it's a handful of good writers and then THOUSANDS of shytty ones clinging on to their coattails rn pretending like they giving us quality work
My posts in the Film Room over the years have been about these garbage ass fanfic writers and how awful writing is these days

I been calling for all this shyt to burn for years :mjgrin:

I support nikkas demanding to be paid fairly but I also know that they made a lot of the mess they're in right now. It's not much different than the tech industry laying off so many nikkas they realized were bloat that did nothing but lay around snacking all day for 250k/year

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin

Yes and No. Actors will need Writers if they feel the Dialouge is shyt and want to change it. AI will most likely be used as the base of the story but the writers will be used to enhance it. That being said the Writers will want more leverage over AI.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
The bay gets a decent amount of work? I know a homie was out there ADing the matrix movie but they travelled around a bit. I was northwest working on an animation movie and passed through San Fran for vacay

And same :salute: I do all the jobs otherwise I get obscenely bored, ADing is okay but I prefer to be able to dayplay so I can still have a normal life and not be lonely ass 50 year old who only has work stories at conversation. It is hard af leaving that extra 2-3k a week on the table tho :wow:

The Bay Area has a long way to go before film production is consistent enough to only do film gigs every year, I do a healthy amount of commercials and other content to supplement my income which is the norm for film professionals up here.

One thing good about the Bay though is that word
Of mouth goes a lot further a lot quicker here for transitioning from one department to the other. This year as soon as the writers strike happened I started advertising in my circle that I’m doing post sound (which wasn’t crazy because they already know I edit), over the last two months I’ve already done post sound & ADR for an indie feature and a short and am mixing another short rn. Got paid to get my portfolio together in 2 months off the strength of my rep for not fukking around in other departments :wow: so yeah, chances are I leap-frogged a post sound film major/intern off the strength of connections lol, it’s how it goes.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
so when are these streaming services gonna give us a discount for the content they are about to NOT be producing in the coming months? we supposed to pay full price for a work stoppage?

you can legit cut their services off, y'all still paying for them???:dahell:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
My posts in the Film Room over the years have been about these garbage ass fanfic writers and how awful writing is these days

I been calling for all this shyt to burn for years :mjgrin:
my problem is, these nikkas know good and cotdamn well scripts have been trash for ages and they really just tuning in for the spectacle of action and the actors, even when a plot has an interesting twist, the dialouge is usually still cringe af 9 times outta 10

but the writers going on strike and suddenly everyone acting like they be giving us piff for decades :shaq2: we can admit they should be getting a reasonable percentage of streaming money and also be honest about

The Bay Area has a long way to go before film production is consistent enough to only do film gigs every year, I do a healthy amount of commercials and other content to supplement my income which is the norm for film professionals up here.

One thing good about the Bay though is that word
Of mouth goes a lot further a lot quicker here for transitioning from one department to the other. This year as soon as the writers strike happened I started advertising in my circle that I’m doing post sound (which wasn’t crazy because they already know I edit), over the last two months I’ve already done post sound & ADR for an indie feature and a short and am mixing another short rn. Got paid to get my portfolio together in 2 months off the strength of my rep for not fukking around in other departments :wow: so yeah, chances are I leap-frogged a post sound film major/intern off the strength of connections lol, it’s how it goes.
:russ: nikka im the same way!

no film school and just show up and handle bidness, the other departments seented it and i was/am able to work whatever job i want. Word of mouth is normal in general in film if you aren't in the super bloated markets of LA and NYC

i took it up another level and did that as well as travelling the country for like the last 9 years :wow: one other coli breh saw the whole journey and can vouch for me

I only did commercials like 3-4 times before i just stuck with big movies and shows, i hated waiting on them net30/net60 checks to come in the mail :russ: stressed me tf out

funny you say sound cuz my homie did sound on Get Out and i was gonna get him to show me the ropes and add that department to my belt too :blessed: stay in touch nikka i may see you around forreal, im coast to coast IRL