wow, PITCHFORK gives Nas an 8.3 for Life Is Good

Wiirdo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jayson Greene didn't do the Be review, so this is a pointless thing to be angry about.

Again, I reiterate, non-"true hip-hop" fans (or whatever the fukk) reviewing hip-hop records=blasphemy on this board. Somebody could have given the damn record a 10 and some of you would have found something to complain about.

Some of these responses are the definition of :aicmon:. It's just a review, people.

It's still an absolutely idiotic thing for him to say considering Be recieved universal acclaim and Finding Forever also got positive reviews.:rudy:

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
It's still an absolutely idiotic thing for him to say considering Be recieved universal acclaim and Finding Forever also got positive reviews.:rudy:

Maybe he didn't like either one? :manny: He's allowed to have an independent opinion, right? It's not like the Metacritic aggregation algorithm is writing the review, it's a guy with an opinion.

I just don't see it as something worthy of getting really worked up about. If you disagree, fine. Hell, ask him about it on Twitter. But getting mad and attributing Dombal's opinion to him (and, by the way, Finding Forever got a 5.6 from Pitchfork) seems pointless to me.

Wiirdo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Maybe he didn't like either one? :manny: He's allowed to have an independent opinion, right? It's not like the Metacritic aggregation algorithm is writing the review, it's a guy with an opinion.

I just don't see it as something worthy of getting really worked up about. If you disagree, fine. Hell, ask him about it on Twitter. But getting mad and attributing Dombal's opinion to him (and, by the way, Finding Forever got a 5.6 from Pitchfork) seems pointless to me.

His opinion is wrong.:shaq:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I wasn't expecting this. I figured the album's old school vibe would lead to a 7.1 type review.

On one hand Pitchfork gives solid reviews to a lot of the best new rappers like Kendrick and Danny Brown. But I notice they seem to love shytting on older shyt. The Roots get some pretty meh reviews from them for instance. Meanwhile they give higher rating to Flocka, Gucci, etc...shyt is scustin

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
His opinion is wrong.:shaq:

No, you just don't agree with it. Which is fine. But to call it wrong is childish.

I wasn't expecting this. I figured the album's old school vibe would lead to a 7.1 type review.

On one hand Pitchfork gives solid reviews to a lot of the best new rappers like Kendrick and Danny Brown. But I notice they seem to love shytting on older shyt. The Roots get some pretty meh reviews from them for instance. Meanwhile they give higher rating to Flocka, Gucci, etc...shyt is scustin

Do what I do in these cases...blame Ian Cohen, Tom Breihan and David Drake. They're almost singularly responsible for all of those types of opinions on there. (Though The Roots is a bad example of a respected Rap act getting meh reviews. The only bad review they ever really got was for The Tipping Point, and that wasn't a good album at all)

Wiirdo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No, you just don't agree with it. Which is fine. But to call it wrong is childish.

Indeed.:smugfavre:

It is very strange for him to refer to refer to Dreamer The Believer as his only good album in the last 9 years though when Be is much better in every measurable way and Finding Forever has a good argument.

The review for LIG was shyt anyway. Basically potshot in every second sentence and then give it a score that is nothing like the review.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Tell me why Pitchfork gave the Frank Ocean album 9.5 :why: :what: :wtf:

At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from selected mainstream critics, the album received an average score of 92 based on 32 professional reviews, which indicates "universal acclaim", also making it the highest scoring R&B release ever.

I think Life is good got around 76..

Lol @ People acting like Pitchfork is bigging up Frank Ocean more than anyone else.

criminology

hearse initiator
Daps
Reppin
Diamonds & Wood
I fukking hate all reviewers. Most of them wanted to be iggy pop or 2pac but ended up writing about musc because theyre talentless. Pitchfork is the worst though. Bunch of liberal arts school educated elitists. If they were around in the late 80s you can be sure theyd be the ones making arguments on how Public Enemy is not music, or in the 90s telling us biggie is not real hop hop.

Daps

I think Life is good got around 76..

Lol @ People acting like Pitchfork is bigging up Frank Ocean more than anyone else.

That Frank Ocean album is not even gonna be remembered in time. These critics dont know shyt about music. All they do is perpetuate the image that their experts. White people always want to believe their experts in everything.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
That Frank Ocean album is not even gonna be remembered in time. These critics dont know shyt about music. All they do is perpetuate the image that their experts. White people always want to believe their experts in everything.

The general perception of Channel Orange is that they agree with the reviewers, only ones mad are the Nas stans on spots like the coli that think everything Nas does deserves to be more appreciated than anything else.

Black cats, white cats, brown cats all gave it classic reviews. So your thing about crackers is irrelevant in this discussion. We're talking about the R&B, Pop and hipster heads are all calling it classic. People seem to forget that this dude isn't hiphop. Channel Orange is gonna be remembered, for a longer time than any album released this year. Specially as a debut album.

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
I fukking hate all reviewers. Most of them wanted to be iggy pop or 2pac but ended up writing about musc because theyre talentless. Pitchfork is the worst though. Bunch of liberal arts school educated elitists. If they were around in the late 80s you can be sure theyd be the ones making arguments on how Public Enemy is not music, or in the 90s telling us biggie is not real hop hop.

So do you hate yourself?

MercuryHayes

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Stationed in Antarctica, Coldest Niggga Alive
A lot of these pitchfork reviewers listen to hiphop as recreation not from passion. they're entertained by 50 cent-esque beef gimmicks and think they know hip hop because they took a picture with questlove.

of course untitled would get 5/10 stars or whatever was said from them. That was the most anti white album since the 90s :heh:

:pacspit: pitchfork

Daps
The general perception of Channel Orange is that they agree with the reviewers, only ones mad are the Nas stans on spots like the coli that think everything Nas does deserves to be more appreciated than anything else.

Black cats, white cats, brown cats all gave it classic reviews. So your thing about crackers is irrelevant in this discussion. We're talking about the R&B, Pop and hipster heads are all calling it classic. People seem to forget that this dude isn't hiphop. Channel Orange is gonna be remembered, for a longer time than any album released this year. Specially as a debut album.

OK but would it be remembered had Frank not come out the closet? When I think of a classic RnB album I think of 12Play and Whats the 411.