Would you rather raise a child on the East Coast or the West?

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
My god…you and Sac :snoop:

I don’t know, I personally preferred growing up around black community in those K-12 years and having a solid foundation in my blackness and then exploring “other” communities later in college. That said, even old school black Oakland was still diverse and it was cool knowing people of all races. When some of these southern brehs post, it’s wild to me that people really never had a white or Asian friend or can’t imagine going to a wedding or event of another race
I wouldn't want my kids being cool with white ppl until they're older

One or two cool, but if I don't want them being around a lot because there's danger of them turning into c00ns

Ditto on mexicans

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland

One or two cool, but if I don't want them being around a lot because there's danger of them turning into c00ns

Ditto on mexicans
Ehh. Really depends on family and what else you expose them to. I went to what was a white elementary until 3rd grade, then it seems like a lot of black kids transferred to that school from out of the district. My best friend was Lilly white from K-3, her parents were former hippies lol. But despite being around a bunch of white kids at school, my family culture was BLACK, grandma used to have me reading black history books, went to a black church, was in African dance, etc. if you don’t let you kids get lost in whiteness, ain’t nothing wrong with them being exposed to other groups. Kids who become c00ns it’s usually the failing of parents to keep those cultural connections.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
East coast without a doubt. Northeast more specifically.

I have a lot of family in Nigeria and visit very often. Easier to do that from the East coast and the Naija community is deeper on the East coast. The 13hr direct flight to Lagos from DC beats 20hrs from Cali to Lagos (legit in SFO typing this I just got back from Naija)

Also, as someone living the SF Bay right now, I’m glad my formative orientation in the US was on the East coast (DMV specifically). There’s a more well to do black/African community and you carry yourself differently as a result.

I also find East to West coast an easier transition. The West coast is “easier” when compared to the East coast. You have less societal expectations and standards people expect of you. Just do you, really.

With the SF Bay especially, there are some things that are permissible here that just won’t fly elsewhere. There’s a lot of acceptance/tolerance of being odd/weird.

Can’t have being an oddball your primary orientation lol :hubie:

The west coast had a better quality of life IMO, more laid back and easier to be you.
Agree here. 24/7 soccer weather can’t be beat
But there’s a bigger, stronger, more diverse black community out east and I’d prefer my kid be in communities and schools that have decent representation from upper middle class black folk, seems like most the black people left in the cities out here in Cali are struggling and those with education/professionals are both highly dispersed and marry out a lot.

This was my biggest issue when I first came to the Bay. The black professional class is so tiny.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO

Ditto on mexicans

Well then you probably want your kids to live in the South.

My upbringing

Went to black elementary schools,
Black Middles (one of my 3 Mids was dead in the MIDDLES of the projects/hood)
Black High School (like my school was so black, in the era of goth kids, we had like none! Lol)

Then went to the top HBCU in the nation.

I didn’t really get around white folks like that till I got a career and got in the business world

And we got a BUNCH of HBCUs in the south.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I didn’t really get around white folks like that till I got a career and got in the business world
See, I kinda feel this is a detriment. The world isn’t black, especially if you’re aiming to be a professional. Learning how to navigate white spaces and play the game in school helped me immensely in the professional world. I wouldn’t want to learn that on the job. There’s also corny white cultural stuff I picked up in college that I could use to be “relatable” when I needed to wear that cloak. It’s sad we still need to play that game, but it is what it is.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV

Most of my white associates/friends I met through soccer :lolbron:

And they are more so European Americans with strong and recent roots to Europe :hubie:

If your kids don’t go to an HBCU, they should get enough cultural mixing in uni (like I did). Will help in the corporate world if you head there.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
See, I kinda feel this is a detriment. The world isn’t black, especially if you’re aiming to be a professional. Learning how to navigate white spaces and play the game in school helped me immensely in the professional world. I wouldn’t want to learn that on the job. There’s also corny white cultural stuff I picked up in college that I could use to be “relatable” when I needed to wear that cloak. It’s sad we still need to play that game, but it is what it is.

Now I do agree with that contrary to @Black Trash! Stance.

Not really being around white folks…. Was a slight detriment to me. I had to learn to navigate white spaces in real time just like you stated.

Then when I was in positions being the only black face in the room. There definitely was an “uncomfortable feel” with that that took me years to get adjusted too. (Still not 100% adjusted but better).

A lot of shyt was common sense though… for me

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I'm doing it where I got roots at. Thats what u supposed 2 do IMO
This ain’t been the reality for many Americans for the past 40 years. Unfortunately job centers are a thing and sometimes you need to move for better opportunities. And like @Black Trash! said, some people don’t like the city they grew up in or people move away. Oakland is not the city I grew up in nor are most the people I grew up with here any longer, so really doesn’t make sense to stay just because a handful of family

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
This ain’t been the reality for many Americans for the past 40 years. Unfortunately job centers are a thing and sometimes you need to move for better opportunities. And like @Black Trash! said, some people don’t like the city they grew up in or people move away. Oakland is not the city I grew up in nor are most the people I grew up with here any longer, so really doesn’t make sense to stay just because a handful of family

I don't live where I grew up either; but I'm close by. I got whips/motorcycles so it aint nothing :manny:

close enough; but far enough at the same time.

I like the distance. I honestly only go back with a purpose. n and out type of shyt.

Yinny

Biracial a little bit
Daps
Reppin
Shangri-La
My kid is already the only Black kid in his daycare class I don’t want him being one of a few growing up as much as I can help it

I wouldn’t consider anywhere other than Cali for a family and I def can’t afford it, plus I strongly prefer the Eastern seaboard for access to diverse regions cuisines culture and histories.