Would God of War Ragnarock have been more epic if Cory Barlog had directed?

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
Yes I know he was a producer on the game and that the story was seemingly finished even before GOW 2018 was released. I am talking about interpretation of fights especially Kratos vs Thor. I always assumed it would play out differently from the snippet we had from Kratos Vs Baldur and that Thor Vs Kratos was going to shatter the world (not literally but more so colossal damage all around).Don’t get me wrong I did love Ragnarock but to me GOW 2018 especially the first Baldur fight which I think is one of the greatest boss fights in video game just did it right.

I hope people understand I am not shytting on the game and did in fact love it but you can’t tell me when the first Kratos vs Baldur fight happened you wasn’t blown away. Especially if you hadn’t been spoiled and was not expecting that. Don’t know I would have liked to see how he directed a Kratos vs Thor especially their first fight.

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
Be honest with your opinion OP and don’t worry about how it will be received.

They played it safe with certain parts of the story.
Curious to hear which part? I don’t think Freya should have been redeemed to be honest and Odin didn’t come across near as intelligent as he was described in the first game.

O³ (O cubed)

No more PAWGs, PLEASE??!!!??
Daps
Reppin
Hackney, London
No. Every GOW main game director will tell you that the game burned them out.

Jaffe with the original. Barlog with 2. Barlog started 3 but left it with Asmussen. Each director didn't ever to want to direct another game.

Ragnarok's issue was that basically squeezed 2 games into 1. That decision was made by Barlog because he knew that another GOW game would take SMS another 5 years.

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
No. Every GOW main game director will tell you that the game burned them out.

Jaffe with the original. Barlog with 2. Barlog started 3 but left it with Asmussen. Each director didn't ever to want to direct another game.

Ragnarok's issue was that basically squeezed 2 games into 1. That decision was made by Barlog because he knew that another GOW game would take SMS another 5 years.
Then rather than fast track things all at the expense of the overall quality a longer duration in between games should have been established. As a fan I know I would have wanted the game out sooner but since Cyberpunk I have learned to be patient and know sometimes you just have to let these guys cook at their own pace. In essence it’s done when it’s done.

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
He didn't?

I played a little bit and kind of hated how slow the first hour is, they need to have a mode for vets that only teach you the new shyt, I know they try to hide their tutorials but tutorials are tutorials, they suck.

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
:yeshrug: I understand not wanting to do a trilogy. But without it made Ragnarok’s story feel rushed. The 2nd game should’ve focused on Fimbulwinter, and Odin misleading Atreus. While the 3rd game is an all out war with Ragnarok. And I disagree they didn’t play it safe lol.

Last edited:

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
He didn't?

I played a little bit and kind of hated how slow the first hour is, they need to have a mode for vets that only teach you the new shyt, I know they try to hide their tutorials but tutorials are tutorials, they suck.
Sadly no he didn’t.

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
:yeshrug: I understand not wanting to do a trilogy. But without it made Ragnarok’s story feel rushed. The 2nd game should’ve focused on Fimbulwinter, and Odin misleading Atreus. While the 3rd game is an all out war with Ragnarok. And I disagree they didn’t play it safe lol.
A trilogy would have helped the pacing.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Curious to hear which part? I don’t think Freya should have been redeemed to be honest and Odin didn’t come across near as intelligent as he was described in the first game.
The entire game IMO. The stakes just didn’t feel that high with the story they were trying to tell and needed more time to cook. It’s like they just wanted to get the story out of the way and move to something else.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Probably the same. Balrog need to take notes from Stellar Blade and get back in the lab. This Disney art direction is the issue

O³ (O cubed)

No more PAWGs, PLEASE??!!!??
Daps
Reppin
Hackney, London
Then rather than fast track things all at the expense of the overall quality a longer duration in between games should have been established. As a fan I know I would have wanted the game out sooner but since Cyberpunk I have learned to be patient and know sometimes you just have to let these guys cook at their own pace. In essence it’s done when it’s done.
Putting the two games into one didn't allow the story to breathe. IMO.

Playing the game on NG+ feels like a slog. Parts of the game feel rushed others from slow.

The Ironwood section dragged on a bit. While the final Ragnarok section felt tacked on. After that big build uo it was was meh.

Uchiha God

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

This is very noticeable when you're playing. Especially on replays. You see the pace is off - and the build up was rushed/cramped at times. It also lacks the "grandeur"/peaks 2018 achieved. Still a good game though, just didn't hit the same highs